Do you think Sims separated himself further today?

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
I believe Sims has put even more distance between himself and Coker today. Sims looked more crisp, the offense was smoother, and seemed to make all the right decisions. I like Coker, but he needs a year in this offense under his belt before he is given the keys to the car.

My take Sims is feeling the game and not having to over think. He is leading drive after drive down the field. He took what the defense gave him. Coker is not comfortable with the receivers or playbook. He is over thinking, trying to do too much, and forcing the ball a little too much. The drive before half shows some o these mistakes.He will get better with time.

Everyone complains about not having a vertical game with Sims. From my view the coaches let Coker attack deep a lot more than we let Sims attempt. I do not know if this was designed or if Coker is trying to go deep in most passes. What do you all think?

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
I don't think it's that cut and dry. Sims definitely is looking to be the better of the two at the moment, but I am concerned with the way he stares his receivers down (again, usually Coop). Throwing a lot of short routes and staring down a receiver is begging for jumped routes and picks against decent DB's.

Edit: That being said, I have absolutely nothing against Blake. I think he is a tremendous competitor and has great character. I do think ultimately he'll probably win the job, but don't write off both of them playing this year.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I don't think it's that cut and dry. Sims definitely is looking to be the better of the two at the moment, but I am concerned with the way he stares his receivers down (again, usually Coop). Throwing a lot of short routes and staring down a receiver is begging for jumped routes and picks against decent DB's.

Edit: That being said, I have absolutely nothing against Blake. I think he is a tremendous competitor and has great character. I do think ultimately he'll probably win the job, but don't write off both of them playing this year.

Jake did some good things, but Blake was clearly the better of the two. My vote doesn't count.

Last edited:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I concur with JBama, next week will tell us a lot. I think Sims was the better of the two today, but who knows what can happen a game from now. It may be that Sims forces things, throws 3 picks, meanwhile Coker looks like a rockstar. If that happens, then the controversy may last all season. As of now though, I do believe that Sims is the clear frontrunner.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I think today's game showed why Sims is the starter and that he is ahead of Coker.

I don't think Sims separated himself further; I think Coker shortened the gap as he improved during his play.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think Blake played much better than Coker today. I don't understand why the staff seems to be so concerned with Sims. Or, maybe they aren't. Maybe it's just the media and the fans. Today Blake looked like the seasoned veteran and Coker looked like a freshman with tremendous talent but lacking experience.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think Coker looked lost a few times and he forced things way too much. The talent is clearly there, but he's nowhere near mentally ready.

Sims may not have all the physical tools Coker does, but he is a leader as a 5th year guy, and frankly, he's good enough. And I love having a guy that not only can escape pressure, but he's fast enough to take it to the house. He brings a completely different dimension to the offense that Coker can't bring, despite his athleticism.

I trust Nick Saban to make the correct decision, and whichever guy he chooses will be the one that is the best for the job.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Sims looked better today. He's now got two games under his belt that he's shown enough to be the starter.

Coker? From what I saw he has a lot of catching up to do and I'm not sure that can be done by the Florida game and personally I don't want our starter working out the type of kinks he's got during SEC play. Sure, he's got better "upside" than Sims from the type of qb best to fit this system. But "upside" doesn't win ballgames. Performance does and what I saw today is Coker simply isn't ready to lead this offense. Is Sims' game perfect? No. But it's considerably better than Coker's at this point.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I kind of felt like the guys played harder for Sims. When he was in there they looked crisper, sharper, more enthusiastic. I think, at this point, Sims is the team's choice. Saban and Kiffin need to take note of that.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Some people don't want to let go of the Coker thing, no matter how well Sims plays.
Bingo. It's like they ran their mouths all spring to their Auburn/Tennessee/Florida co-workers telling them that we were getting the second coming of Joe Willie. Sorry folks, the eye test is all we (and Saban) need. We have a clear #1QB and he wears #6. I love the fact that we now have a QB who has to be accounted for by the defense, as a true threat to pull it down and run if needed. He's better than that QB southeast of us. Both quicker and better passer.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I concur with JBama, next week will tell us a lot. I think Sims was the better of the two today, but who knows what can happen a game from now. It may be that Sims forces things, throws 3 picks, meanwhile Coker looks like a rockstar. If that happens, then the controversy may last all season. As of now though, I do believe that Sims is the clear frontrunner.
I pray that the scenario you just described doesn't happen next week. If it does, we may as well forfeit the rest of the season to save the embarrassment.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think Coker looked lost a few times and he forced things way too much. The talent is clearly there, but he's nowhere near mentally ready.

Sims may not have all the physical tools Coker does, but he is a leader as a 5th year guy, and frankly, he's good enough. And I love having a guy that not only can escape pressure, but he's fast enough to take it to the house. He brings a completely different dimension to the offense that Coker can't bring, despite his athleticism.

I trust Nick Saban to make the correct decision, and whichever guy he chooses will be the one that is the best for the job.
I'm hoping that Coker can demonstrate enough competence (as I posted elsewhere) that they feel comfortable with running some plays featuring Sims' dual role advantages...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I kind of felt like the guys played harder for Sims. When he was in there they looked crisper, sharper, more enthusiastic. I think, at this point, Sims is the team's choice. Saban and Kiffin need to take note of that.
It was obvious. Both announcers said the same thing. The moment Coker came in the body language of many of the players changed. Especially Amari Cooper. Granted, Ware went a bit overboard with his praise of Sims. But a lot of what he was pointing out about Coker we've pointed out on here. No one is against the kid. But it is obvious that at the moment he is behind the curve and some catching up to do. I also don't want the staff to keep the competition "open" until Coker finally beats out Sims. Which it seems thats what some on here want to do. At some point in this season we need to have one person behind center and not all this interchanging.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.