Do you think Sims separated himself further today?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I think people forget who our coach is. They also forget the running backs we have. Or the fact that our offensive line is more important than the QB right now. Or the only way we win the big games..will be based on our defense. The starting QB doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
Mom, I wouldn't quite go that far but I agree with your point. I'm much more concerned with the nose guard, the pass rush and a linebacker corps that still doesn't appear to know the playbook. All will play at least as big a role in the tough games.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Mom, I wouldn't quite go that far but I agree with your point. I'm much more concerned at this point with the nose guard, the pass rush and a linebacker corps that still doesn't appear to know the playbook. All will play at least as big a role in the tough games.
I want to see how we play against FL before I think we could even go all the way. Then maybe I would have a different opinion on the QB situation.

I still think the defense is our biggest issue right now.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I think people forget who our coach is. They also forget the running backs we have. Or the fact that our offensive line is more important than the QB right now. Or the only way we win the big games..will be based on our defense. The starting QB doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
Yeah, um. Don't agree here. The only guy besides the center who touches the ball on every snap matters a great deal (caveat: unless you want us to take the QB out completely and go wildcat rotating in running backs all the time). I don't think we have the problem others may, but no way am I going to say it doesn't matter.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Thank you and I agree about the offensive line and defense. QB does matter but I truly believe we can win with either one.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Yeah, um. Don't agree here. The only guy besides the center who touches the ball on every snap matters a great deal (caveat: unless you want us to take the QB out completely and go wildcat rotating in running backs all the time). I don't think we have the problem others may, but no way am I going to say it doesn't matter.

My point was that we have two guys to choose from. Both are capable of winning games. I know we need the QB in the game to win. We would have a different gameplay based on which one is in the game.

I am saying everyone is making such a big deal out of something...that frankly we have no control over anyway.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Thank you and I agree about the offensive line and defense. QB does matter but I truly believe we can win with either one.

Thank you, That was my point. I guess I didn't word it correctly. I know why I stayed away from this thread. Lol...I will bow out again. ;)

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So Sims, in his 2 career starts, is as good as he is ever going to get, so we should bench him and let Coker work out his kinks? Really?
Coker's glaring weakness is not enough live reps. This translates into a lack of confidence. This affects the speed/quickness at which he plays.

Sims is further along and has show he's capable...never said he wouldn't get better.

It's really a compliment to Sims that I think he's proven he can be dependable and realiable.

All this waiting for Coker's improvement to jump past Sims assumes Sims won't improve while Coker is improving.

The most noticeable improvement we've seen that I'm aware of has been Sims' play the past six months. I think it's not correct to assume he'***** his ceiling while Coker has not.

I'm, looking for both of them to be more than adequate as the season unfolds. With Kiffin's help, they will both be a few notches above what we expect now, in my opinion.
Never said Sims can't/won't improve. But he's ahead and sharp enough to know what he can do right now.

It seems the coaches want to see what Coker can do and they've got to scrape the rust off and get him experience to really be able to know.

Coker needs the work more than Sims is all I'm saying.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Coker's glaring weakness is not enough live reps. This translates into a lack of confidence. This affects the speed/quickness at which he plays.

Sims is further along and has show he's capable...never said he wouldn't get better.

It's really a compliment to Sims that I think he's proven he can be dependable and realiable.

Never said Sims can't/won't improve. But he's ahead and sharp enough to know what he can do right now.

It seems the coaches want to see what Coker can do and they've got to scrape the rust off and get him experience to really be able to know.

Coker needs the work more than Sims is all I'm saying.
I agree with that, but it would be unwise not to let Sims come out and get work done himself. It's not like his game is perfect, and he needs reps to work out his kinks also, especially since he's the only QB on our roster with any experience in a game that was in doubt.

If Coker doesn't work out the kinks or finally "get it", Blake is going to have to keep winning games for us, so he needs to work on his game too.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

ETA: we have two capable guys that can start and win for us.
Ehhh, not so sure about that. At some point a QB almost ALWAYS has to make a play or several to save a game or season. Remember GMAC during that three game stretch in 2009 when he was horrible? MI saved the SC game but then remember AU and the 4th quarter. Throws HAD to be made. In that situation I'm not sure you can just flip a coin and get the same result. Right now it may not matter but it will. The QB touches the ball on almost every offensive play and by its nature the job demands trust from the coaches and the other players. Whoever wins will be the one CNS trusts most to lead and play within the system.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Just posted the same thing. Didnt see this last page....whoops :)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I want to see how we play against FL before I think we could even go all the way. Then maybe I would have a different opinion on the QB situation.

I still think the defense is our biggest issue right now.
I agree that this is the real issue right now. I do not think you can get a read on defensive improvement from the FAU or USM games. UF should tell us how far we have come or how far we have to go.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I agree that this is the real issue right now. I do not think you can get a read on defensive improvement from the FAU or USM games. UF should tell us how far we have come or how far we have to go.
Yah, UF will likely be a real test, but they lost their starting TE (for the season) and LT (for a few weeks, not likely to play against Bama) this past Saturday. If they suffer any more injuries this week (and KY has an active DL) they might be limping along offensively when they arrive in Tuscaloosa.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Yah, UF will likely be a real test, but they lost their starting TE (for the season) and LT (for a few weeks, not likely to play against Bama) this past Saturday. If they suffer any more injuries this week (and KY has an active DL) they might be limping along offensively when they arrive in Tuscaloosa.
That would be a terrible shame, but I could live with it. If we could smack Florida around, it would help the team's confidence headed into the rest of the schedule.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I'm still not sold on Jeff Driskel either.

TerryR

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 12, 2011
Wetumpka, AL
I think the play harder for one player over another came from Andre Ware. I saw no proof of that. He was just speculating from when he played. He has no pulse on the heart beat of our team. I do not agree with him. I think when Coker is named the starter (and he will be before the season is over) the team will play just as hard if not harder. I believe that Blake will probably play in every game but I get the sense this is Coker's job to win. I think we can win with either guy for the record and thats all I care about is the W's.
Pretty well stated my sentiments. I "think" I detected a little more enthusiasm with Blake by his teammates. That might be expected since he's been around the players longer and "knows the system". I would hate to think any player(s) would consciously hold back in favor of one or the other QBs. Who knows how this will play out. Saban has been a one QB type coach - suppose that may be some of the pro football mentality although he's been a college coach moreso than pro. I'm not adverse to a 2-QB system if dictated by game circumstances e.g., one's having a bad day or a particular package is used to complement one or the other. I, too, care most about the game outcome no matter who's under center.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Pretty well stated my sentiments. I "think" I detected a little more enthusiasm with Blake by his teammates. That might be expected since he's been around the players longer and "knows the system". I would hate to think any player(s) would consciously hold back in favor of one or the other QBs. Who knows how this will play out. Saban has been a one QB type coach - suppose that may be some of the pro football mentality although he's been a college coach moreso than pro. I'm not adverse to a 2-QB system if dictated by game circumstances e.g., one's having a bad day or a particular package is used to complement one or the other. I, too, care most about the game outcome no matter who's under center.

Ya but they could have still been hyped up from pregame? You know those kids settle down after a couple series. By the time Coker entered the game they were in rhythm and not as amped up. They were just doing business. You would have seen everyone more "excited" to play with Coker just like you did Sims if Coker had started.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.