JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
FAU wrap-up: Game was short, but fans’ discussion won’t be
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 6th, 2014 09:28 PM

Nick Saban is loved by Alabama fans for many things, not the least of which is his brusque treatment of the media. But in his post-game press statements following Alabama’s rain-shortened 41-0 romp over Florida Atlantic, he had a message for fans who have […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
OJ caught one big pass last year, and, rightfully, we all went bonkers. We also expected that catch to be his coming-out party, which never happened.

Maybe he is a 7 on 7 wonder who hasn't figured the bigger game out. Whatever the reason, we need a tight end. The Hokies-tOSU game showed why.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
thanks jess. agree with all you say, and I want to add this qb competition is getting more difficult each game. both qbs have strengths and weaknesses. I expect it will continue into the season. sims has a great control of the short game, and mobility, plus better rush opportunities as long as we are playing weak defensive opponents. I worry about the better defenses shutting down our limited short game. we have seen 8 and 9 men defenses before. they are brutal unless we have some deep opportunies, and we have the receivers now to go deep. coker, is a real threat all over the field. and he will get teams real quick out of the jam the line defense. he will get better in his play calling, and it is a lot pressure on the coaches standing on the sideline calling all the plays.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
But in his post-game press statements following Alabama’s rain-shortened 41-0 romp over Florida Atlantic, he had a message for fans who have a specific favorite in the ongoing battle for Alabama’s quarterback position: Basically, shut up.

Saban’s comments to the media were direct, but even more direct was his address to the fans while on the postgame radio show with Phil Savage and Eli Gold. Saban doesn’t care who someone’s favorite quarterback is. And he seemed annoyed that people would be picking favorites.

We’ve touched on this phenomena before, how Alabama fans treat Saban’s brushbacks like Kevin Bacon’s character Chip treated paddle licks during Omega initiation in “Animal House” – thank you coach, may we have another?

I would remind him the intense interest in the Bama team is an important part of why he can make 7 million a year coaching here. To expect the fans to not discuss or have opinions about the quarterback is asking a little too much in my opinion.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
There looks to be a lot of potential with Coker but a lot of rust. He was late on a lot of his throws and under threw them as a result. I think if we didn't have Sims, Coker would develop into a good QB as the season went on. But we do have Sims and right now he is sharper than Coker. I am worried about the our opponents starting to play the short passes and make us beat them deep. Hopefully we can do that.

On the young receivers... I thought Black did a really good job blocking on the bubble screens to Cooper.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks Jess, and I agree with CNS. The FANS need to shut the hell up and let this season play out. Both QBs are giving it their best and constant disagreement, verbal confrontation and opposing opinions serves NO purpose. Thanks for the opportunity to vent, Roll Tide. :mad2:

BubbaOne

Scout Team
Jun 27, 2007
Tucker, GA
Your pre-game then post-game analyses are always spot on and look forward to both. There is so much junk on the internet it is refreshing to see your concise approach. Thanks, In reading your post game you did not mention the OL. OK we rotated alot of personnel trying to get everyone experience but we still lack that kill push. We are on the goal line several times unable to push FlATL back just a couple yards to score. FLATL is not Florida or Ole Miss or TAM or Auburn. Here's hoping the OL gels and quick. I really like Sims. He shows poise and ability to avoid the sack. His passes are just about 10 yards and then let receiver do their thing. Other teams watch film so between our OL lacking push and Sims short passes we could be in a world of angst once we get to a real football team with talent. We better hope CoKer gets that "rust" off next game and starts consistently hitting those 30-40 + yard passes to keep the opposing D from stacking the box with 8 or 9 to stop short passes or the run. Thanks again and look forward to your Florida reveiw.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Blake Sims is running an offense very similar to what AJ ran a year ago -- a ton of slants and bubble screens, intermediate routes mixed in and a couple deep throws a game. We act as if those plays don't work in the SEC. Funny, we've been running them for seven years.

The three most important drives in Alabama history during the Saban Era are the 2009 Auburn game, and the 2012 LSU and UGA games.

One swung on a long throw. The other two were built on passes that didn't travel more than 15 yards.

AJ's longest completion in the 2012 BCS Championship went about 25 yards. Next to us, LSU had the finest back seven in the country, and they couldn't stop our short passing game.

I think we have two quarterbacks who can manage the throws in our basic offense. The question then becomes who hits the target more often.

Last edited:

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
While I can appreciate coach's sentiment in the statement to the fans, I am a bit put off by his delivery.

Other than that...I feel good about yesterday. Great to see so many guys getting reps, particularly the young guns at LB and WR. Can't wait to see Evans get more snaps!

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Blake Sims is running an offense very similar to what AJ ran a year ago -- a ton of slants and bubble screens, intermediate routes mixed in and a couple deep throws a game. We act as if those plays don't work in the SEC. Funny, We've been running them for seven years.

The three most important drives in Alabama history are the 2009 Auburn game and the 2012 LSU and UGA games.

One swung on a long throw. The other two were built on passes that didn't travel more than 15 yards in the air. AJ's longest completion in the 2012 BCS Championship went about 25 yards. Next to us, LSU had the finest back seven in the country, and they couldn't stop it.

I think we have two quarterbacks who can manage the throws in our basic offense. The question then becomes who hits the target more often.

I could not agree more. Way too much is given to arm strength. Sure it's great, but not vital. Your AJ comparison is right on, but to go even further, neither Joe Montana, Drew Brees or Tom Brady have cannons, but you can't argue with their success.

No position in football requires more intangibles than the QB position and so far BS is noticeably
ahead of JC and is making great strides in improvement. We don't know what's down the road, but as far as I'm concerned Blake is clearly DA MAN.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Thanks Jess, and I agree with CNS. The FANS need to shut the hell up and let this season play out. Both QBs are giving it their best and constant disagreement, verbal confrontation and opposing opinions serves NO purpose. Thanks for the opportunity to vent, Roll Tide. :mad2:
It's not the fans creating controversy. Any controversy or perception of one is fueled by the media and Coaching rants on the topic.

If the coaching staff is unsure which guy gets the nod then fans are going to discuss it. Don't want a controversy? Then don't create one with the way the situation is handled. JMO

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
It's not the fans creating controversy. Any controversy or perception of one is fueled by the media and Coaching rants on the topic.

If the coaching staff is unsure which guy gets the nod then fans are going to discuss it. Don't want a controversy? Then don't create one with the way the situation is handled. JMO
THIS! Fans are entitled to their opinions. Surely the coaching staff knows this so they need to be careful how they say what they say.

JAXFLBAMAFAN

All-SEC
Nov 30, 1999
Jacksonville FL
I would remind him the intense interest in the Bama team is an important part of why he can make 7 million a year coaching here. To expect the fans to not discuss or have opinions about the quarterback is asking a little too much in my opinion.
EXACTLY! Sounds like CNS has had so much success that he doesn't seem to care what anybody thinks about his decisions...and that's okay. Just don't presume to tell the fanbase to shutup and sit down. I don't think I'm alone. I just don't appreciate being preached to about being a "fan". I certainly do not presume to know more than CNS but at the same time WE have the right to be a "fan"!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I don't think I'm alone. I just don't appreciate being preached to about being a "fan"
I had some friends who went to the game. They stuck around in the rain until it was called...they didn't want to irritate Saban by leaving early. They could only laugh when they tuned Saban in on the radio, and he was so upset about the fans and the quarterbacks. :rolleye2:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
EXACTLY! Sounds like CNS has had so much success that he doesn't seem to care what anybody thinks about his decisions...and that's okay. Just don't presume to tell the fanbase to shutup and sit down. I don't think I'm alone. I just don't appreciate being preached to about being a "fan". I certainly do not presume to know more than CNS but at the same time WE have the right to be a "fan"!
Honest question: Were you around for the Bryant years?

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
Here's what I want to know...if CNS doesn't do social media of any sort including newspapers and magazines how does he know what the fans are or are not discussing. ????

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
My opinions are "for entertainment purposes only" and I am grateful that they are mine alone, and that CNS has the good sense to ignore me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.