The Ray Rice video

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Bleacher Report is reporting the NFL got the tape from law enforcement in April. Somebody just got caught in a lie.

LINK
Saw the AP tweet about it.

My immediate reaction - completely goes against what the prosecution spokesperson said yesterday about giving the NFL the video being illegal.

Seems like we have three groups, possible four, trying to place blame elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
All this is doing is telling young men....do what you want because as long as their isn't a video...you are A OK.

Ahem...Winston...I am talking to you.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Got to be more to this story. Ray Rice isn't a high enough profile player for the NFL to cover up for like this. No NFL player is really but definitely not a mid level running back..

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
A few thoughts I haven't seen or heard discussed.

First, a rhetorical question: Why do civilized people abhor male-on-female violence?

Answer: Generally speaking, it offends our sense of fairness. Due to genetically dominant characteristics, and exceptions both ways noted, most men can physically handle most women with ease. The difference in upper body strength, muscle mass, quick-twitch nerves, power-weight combination...all that heavily favors men.

So most women aren't a physical match for most men, especially when the adrenaline is flowing.

It's the same fundamental reason that we abhor child abuse and cruelty to animals. The victim has no realistic means of defense, and is entirely at the mercy of a @&!(@&$ with nothing to fear. It's just wrong and often reminds us of times we were in predicaments with similar characteristics.

Point being, what if Ray Rice had punched out an average man? I seriously doubt there would be near the outcry. But is there a realistic difference in the advantage a 6-1, 230 lb professional running back Ray Rice, in world-class physical condition, would have held over the average 5-10, 175 lb male and the one he held over his fiancée?

It's kind of like debating whether middleweight Sugar Ray Leonard would have given Mike Tyson a better bout than the contemporaneous bantamweight. Ask the male victimS of Pettway, Calloway, et. al, how that works.

For Roger Goodell -- When you saw the tape of Rice dragging the woman out of the elevator, and both admitted what happened, did you think he knocked her unconscious with a love tap to the wrist?

Did the tape make the difference? If so, why? You knew what happened, whether you'd seen a tape or not. And it took a picture to go from a 2 game suspension to lifetime?

Are you stupid, or is it just that you think the rest of us are?

How do you plan to address the other 20+ players on other teams with domestic violence backgrounds, but who weren't unfortunate enough to have their acts on tape?

Or is it just the pictures, that were at least as damning to you as they were to Rice, that made the difference?

The message you're sending is that it's OK to punch out your woman, so long as you make sure there are no cameras around.

For the feminists, both male and female, who want to see women in front-line military combat positions, you're strangely quiet. How do you reconcile (1) wanting male-on-female violence to have special consequences, primarily because of the undisputed physical disadvantage females face, with (2) advocacy of women in combat?

The act, the NFL's reaction, the public's reaction, the reaction of the talking heads, and the deafening silence from audiences that would normally be on this like stink on garbage, are telling. And usually thoughtless, condescending, or intellectually inconsistent.

Last edited:

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I haven't weighed in on this yet, but have been mulling over various thoughts.

1. This is first and foremost a court/criminal justice system issue. If they don't handle this, why are people expecting the NFL to fix the problem? That isn't the NFL's job.. which leads to point #2.

2. The NFL's job is to make a profit by putting together the best football teams to compete at the highest levels of the sport. Their job is not to advance some sociopolitical agenda whether it is domestic violence, gay marriage, racism, sexism, or whatever social justice warrior du jour whines about. Goodell is about to find out that no amount of appeasement is enough, and he is opening the floodgates to more opportunists than he can possibly imagine.

edit to add:
3. I suspect that not long after his NFL checks stop rolling in, she will take her half and split. Maybe I'm cynical, but time will prove me right or wrong.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The NFL's job is to make a profit by putting together the best football teams to compete at the highest levels of the sport.
And that is exactly what this is about. Do you really think the NFL is risking money by doing this? The NFL (like most for-profit organizations) will do whatever is needed to appease the largest percentage of their customers. In this case, the backlash was big enough the choice was obvious.

It has nothing to do with an agenda, other than the agenda to make money...

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The devils advocate asks:
If law enforcement and the courts in NJ were satisfied with their disposition of this affair, why is there now such an uproar after RR was effectively banned from the NFL? Also, people ask why did the NFL have to see the complete tape to take action but the public uproar didn't reach this peak until after the public saw the tape?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And that is exactly what this is about. Do you really think the NFL is risking money by doing this? The NFL (like most for-profit organizations) will do whatever is needed to appease the largest percentage of their customers. In this case, the backlash was big enough the choice was obvious.

It has nothing to do with an agenda, other than the agenda to make money...
Agreed. It is ALL about $$$. If the NFL feels like they are going to lose a portion of their customer base or have any hint that maybe a major sponsor will pull out, then you can guarantee they will start "caring" about the issue. But their "caring" is more about the loss of $$$ than it is the actual issue.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.