Calling customer service is a waste of time

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
First off, no offense to anyone on here who may work in customer service. This is about my bad experiences with contacting customer service via 1-800 numbers. Every time I call a 1-800 customer service number, I go ahead and brace myself for frustration to the nth degree. I know that chances are, I will have just wasted a good 10-15 minutes. Most of which is hold time. But, like a dummy, I call anyway.

Yesterday, I had a slight issue with my Samsung Galaxy tablet. I had never had this particular issue before, so, I was caught off guard. So, being the glutton for punishment that I am, and knowing that it will end in me running down the street screaming, I call Samsung customer service. The hold time was not bad, only about 3 minutes or so. But, that's as good as it gets. The call itself was an absolute joke, and should only serve as a reminder to me not to contact customer service again, with Samsung or any other company. The call went something like this:

The rep goes through his whole routine when he comes on the line. I start to say what the problem is and he cuts me off and says that he can not continue with the call until he has detailed information about who is calling. So, for what seems like 20 minutes, I answer question after question. Name. Full address. Home phone number. Cell phone number. Work number. E-mail address. Approximate date of purchase of the item I am calling about. Place item was purchased. Model number of item. Do I own any other Samsung products, and if so, what are they. Then, I had to answer a series of "on a scale of 1-10" questions, like "on a scale of 1-10, how satisfied are you with Samsung?". I finally interrupted and asked when were we going to get to the part where I explain why I am calling. He said "oh, just a few more questions" and I said no, let's get down to business already and I would answer all these inane questions later. So, he says "well, okay, I suppose we can skip this other stuff for now, but I do ask that we come back to it before you hang up".

So, I FINALLY get to explain what the issue is, and it sounds like the line is dead. I say "ya there?". He replies "uhhh...yeah.....just...trying....to....uhhh...I don't know what...."
He tells me to hold on. He comes back on about a minute later belching and laughing. It goes like this:
Rep: ha ha ha ha ha, well, ha ha ha ha ha ha I don't mean to uh...ya know..sound...ha ha ha....silly, but uhhh....I don't think that there is anything we're going to be able to do....ha ha.....that sounds like a factory defect, so uhhh...you're going to have to take that back to the place you bought it from.
Me: I have had this tablet for two years now, and it has never done this before, so if it were a factory defect, wouldn't it have done it sooner?
Rep: well, see, ha ha ha, (belch) uhh...the place where you purchased if from has that kind of information, not us....we are just a bunch of levi wearing fish round here, so what we do is probably not very conducive to what you need at the moment.
Me: Well, what about tech support?
Rep: What about it?
Me: Is there a tech support number? To be honest, tech support is what I thought I called.
Rep: Well, again, ha ha ha ha ha, not trying to sound silly, ha ha ha, but, I mean, like yeah...I could like..transfer you.....but like.....you'd just be told like...(loud belch) ha ha ha to uhh... ya know, go back to where you got the thing and to be honest, the store are the ones who know what to do when it comes to a factory defect, not tech support, and definitely not us.
Me: So, you just automatically say that this is a factory defect without even attempting do do anything else? I mean, could you at least transfer me to tech support and just see if there is anything they could have me try?
Rep: No. You would just be told the same thing all over again. There is nothing they can do for a factory defect. I know. I know. It's just....oh, okay, there is like this huge bug on the floor....ha ha ha...oh what is that? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA and it's got like, oh that is....nasty nasty, two words...PU!!! I am holding my nose, think that a stanky bug!!

Of course, after that, I hung up. The funny thing is, I then do a Google search of the issue I was having with my tablet. And within two minutes, I fix the issue myself!! :biggrin: Maybe one day I will learn! Anywho, I am probably late to the party here, but has "customer service" always been like this? Are these people even trained, or are they just tossed a headset their first day on the job and told "good luck"? :confused:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I manage a "customer service" group of about 20 people that does IT work. I have to say that customer service is something you gotta WANT to do. You have to want to genuinely help people first, and know the material second. You could be the most knowledgeable person there is about a subject, but if your heart isn't in trying to be helpful, you are going to suck at it. If you genuinely want to help folks, and are intelligent, you can learn the material. When I interview people I point this out, or ask them their view on it. I need people that want to help, not be good at something and hate human interaction. I've had both types working under me, and the ones that know how to treat people are the ones that usually do better. Being kind and understanding and treating people the right way, will usually get you a pass on taking a little more time in digging for an answer vs. being a jerk and not caring.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
The guy just kept on saying "I don't mean to sound silly, but....." and then he would turn right around and be silly. That laughing and belching just drove me bonkers. And going ahead and saying "there is not going to be anything that we will be able to do" right out of the gate was about the worst. That was a cop out. He just did not want to go any further and was ready to push it off on the store where I bought the item. All he knew how to say was "we don't do this" and "we don't do that". I was ready to say "well, what DO you DO exactly?". Someone told me that I would have been better off just hanging up on him and calling back and getting a different rep. And had I thought to do that, I most likely would have had a better rep on the second call. I was fortunate that a Google search solved my problem. You hit the nail on the head, AlistarWills, it is a job you really have to WANT to do. I think maybe the rep I had was just crazy or something. :tongue:

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
First off, no offense to anyone on here who may work in customer service. This is about my bad experiences with contacting customer service via 1-800 numbers. Every time I call a 1-800 customer service number, I go ahead and brace myself for frustration to the nth degree. I know that chances are, I will have just wasted a good 10-15 minutes. Most of which is hold time. But, like a dummy, I call anyway.

Yesterday, I had a slight issue with my Samsung Galaxy tablet. I had never had this particular issue before, so, I was caught off guard. So, being the glutton for punishment that I am, and knowing that it will end in me running down the street screaming, I call Samsung customer service. The hold time was not bad, only about 3 minutes or so. But, that's as good as it gets. The call itself was an absolute joke, and should only serve as a reminder to me not to contact customer service again, with Samsung or any other company. The call went something like this:

The rep goes through his whole routine when he comes on the line. I start to say what the problem is and he cuts me off and says that he can not continue with the call until he has detailed information about who is calling. So, for what seems like 20 minutes, I answer question after question. Name. Full address. Home phone number. Cell phone number. Work number. E-mail address. Approximate date of purchase of the item I am calling about. Place item was purchased. Model number of item. Do I own any other Samsung products, and if so, what are they. Then, I had to answer a series of "on a scale of 1-10" questions, like "on a scale of 1-10, how satisfied are you with Samsung?". I finally interrupted and asked when were we going to get to the part where I explain why I am calling. He said "oh, just a few more questions" and I said no, let's get down to business already and I would answer all these inane questions later. So, he says "well, okay, I suppose we can skip this other stuff for now, but I do ask that we come back to it before you hang up".

So, I FINALLY get to explain what the issue is, and it sounds like the line is dead. I say "ya there?". He replies "uhhh...yeah.....just...trying....to....uhhh...I don't know what...."
He tells me to hold on. He comes back on about a minute later belching and laughing. It goes like this:
Rep: ha ha ha ha ha, well, ha ha ha ha ha ha I don't mean to uh...ya know..sound...ha ha ha....silly, but uhhh....I don't think that there is anything we're going to be able to do....ha ha.....that sounds like a factory defect, so uhhh...you're going to have to take that back to the place you bought it from.
Me: I have had this tablet for two years now, and it has never done this before, so if it were a factory defect, wouldn't it have done it sooner?
Rep: well, see, ha ha ha, (belch) uhh...the place where you purchased if from has that kind of information, not us....we are just a bunch of levi wearing fish round here, so what we do is probably not very conducive to what you need at the moment.
Me: Well, what about tech support?
Rep: What about it?
Me: Is there a tech support number? To be honest, tech support is what I thought I called.
Rep: Well, again, ha ha ha ha ha, not trying to sound silly, ha ha ha, but, I mean, like yeah...I could like..transfer you.....but like.....you'd just be told like...(loud belch) ha ha ha to uhh... ya know, go back to where you got the thing and to be honest, the store are the ones who know what to do when it comes to a factory defect, not tech support, and definitely not us.
Me: So, you just automatically say that this is a factory defect without even attempting do do anything else? I mean, could you at least transfer me to tech support and just see if there is anything they could have me try?
Rep: No. You would just be told the same thing all over again. There is nothing they can do for a factory defect. I know. I know. It's just....oh, okay, there is like this huge bug on the floor....ha ha ha...oh what is that? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA and it's got like, oh that is....nasty nasty, two words...PU!!! I am holding my nose, think that a stanky bug!!

Of course, after that, I hung up. The funny thing is, I then do a Google search of the issue I was having with my tablet. And within two minutes, I fix the issue myself!! :biggrin: Maybe one day I will learn! Anywho, I am probably late to the party here, but has "customer service" always been like this? Are these people even trained, or are they just tossed a headset their first day on the job and told "good luck"? :confused:
It sounds like the dude was drunk!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What the OP really wanted was TS, not CS. As soon as they ascertained the question was technical, they should have forwarded him there and let those people decide if they could handle it or not. For some reason, the Korean firms just don't seem to handle CS very well, and that's pretty much all of them, from LG to Samsung. It may be that expectations are simply higher here than over there. If you want to see superior CS, just look to the most successful US firms. I spend several thousands a year with Amazon and one reason is their CS.

I'll buy from Costco on a retail basis, but I won't ever buy from them online again. A few months ago, I needed an additional fireproof filing cabinet. By chance, Costco had the one we wanted, brand we'd bought before, for a nice price. I ordered it. When the carrier called, I explained that, although their policy said "curbside," that was 300' away from my house, and, if they couldn't get it closer, just to return it. (This one was for the residence.) I may as well have been talking to a wall. The next day, the doorbell rings and the deliveryman was here - in an 18 wheeler pulled up to our mailbox on our little dead-end street. On top of that, he'd brought it up the "back way," Bankhead Parkway, when there was a four lane on the south end of Monte Sano. (BTW, tractor trailers are prohibited on the way he brought it up.) I refused delivery and went to look at Amazon. There the same file was, cheaper than through Costco. When the carrier called, I explained the situation to him. His response was to ask me what size truck would fit and they'd get it here one way or the other. I told him panel trucks could get in without a problem. Delivery was accomplished the next day without a hitch...

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
What the OP really wanted was TS, not CS. As soon as they ascertained the question was technical, they should have forwarded him there and let those people decide if they could handle it or not. For some reason, the Korean firms just don't seem to handle CS very well, and that's pretty much all of them, from LG to Samsung. It may be that expectations are simply higher here than over there. If you want to see superior CS, just look to the most successful US firms. I spend several thousands a year with Amazon and one reason is their CS.

I'll buy from Costco on a retail basis, but I won't ever buy from them online again. A few months ago, I needed an additional fireproof filing cabinet. By chance, Costco had the one we wanted, brand we'd bought before, for a nice price. I ordered it. When the carrier called, I explained that, although their policy said "curbside," that was 300' away from my house, and, if they couldn't get it closer, just to return it. (This one was for the residence.) I may as well have been talking to a wall. The next day, the doorbell rings and the deliveryman was here - in an 18 wheeler pulled up to our mailbox on our little dead-end street. On top of that, he'd brought it up the "back way," Bankhead Parkway, when there was a four lane on the south end of Monte Sano. (BTW, tractor trailers are prohibited on the way he brought it up.) I refused delivery and went to look at Amazon. There the same file was, cheaper than through Costco. When the carrier called, I explained the situation to him. His response was to ask me what size truck would fit and they'd get it here one way or the other. I told him panel trucks could get in without a problem. Delivery was accomplished the next day without a hitch...
Amazon gets it. Their customer service is the best. They will even make follow up calls to make sure everything was handled properly.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Personally I would have "googled" the issue before ever making the call. I don't understand why more people don't do this since I have actually answered a myriad of questions using this technique.

Two recent examples:

1) My fiancé was told by her daughter that something to the effect of "you don't buy a battery for iPhone, you replace the phone." A simple google search revealed multiple listings for a battery kit including the tool needed to change the battery.

2) We were looking for a friends' baby registry on Amazon and couldn't find the appropriate page. After about 10 seconds of looking, I googled "amazon baby registry" which returned the exact url for the page which contained our friends' listing.

It's not like you are the first person to run across whatever issue/question you are trying to resolve/answer.

Lesson learned hopefully. ;)

P.S. Totally agree today's customer service is generally terrible.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Personally I would have "googled" the issue before ever making the call. I don't understand why more people don't do this since I have actually answered a myriad of questions using this technique.

Two recent examples:

1) My fiancé was told by her daughter that something to the effect of "you don't buy a battery for iPhone, you replace the phone." A simple google search revealed multiple listings for a battery kit including the tool needed to change the battery.

2) We were looking for a friends' baby registry on Amazon and couldn't find the appropriate page. After about 10 seconds of looking, I googled "amazon baby registry" which returned the exact url for the page which contained our friends' listing.

It's not like you are the first person to run across whatever issue/question you are trying to resolve/answer.

Lesson learned hopefully. ;)

P.S. Totally agree today's customer service is generally terrible.
I am at the bitter end before I call TS or CS. The odds are I know more about the problem and potential solutions than they do, or at least the first tier. Countless times, I've emailed them back and wrote "Never mind, I found the solution myself..."

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
My personal favorite is after you tell them what you need, they waste your time and say, "I understand that you are calling in regard to...... Is that correct?"

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
My personal favorite is after you tell them what you need, they waste your time and say, "I understand that you are calling in regard to...... Is that correct?"
When helping someone, I find that it is useful to restate the problem to make sure I understood correctly.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Can't address CS, but I can TS.

The job of 1st level (the schmucks who answer the 800 number) is to make the phones stop ringing. The are trained, to read from a script, which is the same thing you can get from their website. The folks who set this stuff up do not want 1st level doing anything, other than read to customers who can not (or will not) read the website.

When I get one "I need second level support." I do not relent. Eventually, I get to second level, and with luck, when they realize I designed stuff like that, in previous lifetime, I get what I need.

Third level (what I kinda sorta did before they didn't want us old coots around) was reserved for solving the difficult issues, that affected the entire network. We only interfaced with internal parties.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.