Widening the field can be just as important as lengthening the field

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I keep reading a great deal of our fans wondering if Blake can through the deep ball, why we aren't practicing it, why such a different play selection with Coker, etc.

I can tell you though, widening the field is just as important as stretching the field vertically. The HUNH/spread teams have proven that many times over the past few years. And, what many do not realize, we have a lot of spread influenced play-calling when Sims is in the game (thus far this season).

The bubble screens, the quick screens, the zone runs are all spread elements. We are obviously using the quick screen to get the ball in our playmakers hands. (And I've heard Sims gets these throws out to the WRs a solid half-second faster than Coker). These are high percentage, easy throws as long as both WRs aren't facing press-man. If teams start playing us press man on BOTH WRs out there, we will see all sorts of options opened up. These options will be fairly simple for even a novice quarterback to exploit--especially when you have Amari Cooper. Cooper is tough to jam and if he explodes by a CB, it's an easy toss for 6. The spread is effective because a lot of times one man does not do his job, particularly in man-to-man or cover 2 situations.

If teams play press man from a nickel set on our 2 WR side of the field, odds are they will have to play a safety over the top. This should leave some good options open on the opposite side/down the middle from our TEs and our backs. Easy, simple play calling. Remember when Drake motioned to the two WR side and caught the swing against FAU? Brilliant and simple. The WRs hold their blocks (which is really easy from press coverage) and Drake finds a hole.

Also, some teams are no longer "apexing" their LBs between the tackle and the slot WR. Some teams are playing head up in a Twin WR half of the field. Against a trips look, they are apexing between the 2 and 3 WR. Why? To prevent getting blocked inside, leaving only the Safety and CB to stop a play. If the LB gets blocked out or can get penetration outside the 2 and 3 WR, the ball has to go back inside (for example on a sweep or outside zone run), where at least a Mike/Will will be scraping to help. Where does this help Alabama? Cut back lanes. When Sams and Jacks widen to help on outside runs, we are asking the Mike and Will to cover extra gaps. With solid OL, cut back lanes abound, something we do very well at Alabama.

All of that is because of spread teams "widening" the field. Not because of fear of getting beat deep.

I'm not defending Sims in the Sims v Coker debate, but I do know we can be very successful based on what we have shown through 2 games because we have easy situational adjustments built in. We do not have to throw it deep and stretch the field vertically (in the traditional sense) to win in the SEC. Auburn proved that last year and Tebow-lead UF teams did too, where most of their "deep-balls" were because of coverage break downs.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
That is what Auburn did to us last year to some extent. They didn't have a deep threat and we had a hard time containing them from side to side. I think we can bring even more to the table this year than they did last year with talent we have in the backfield.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I keep reading a great deal of our fans wondering if Blake can through the deep ball, why we aren't practicing it, why such a different play selection with Coker, etc.

I can tell you though, widening the field is just as important as stretching the field vertically. The HUNH/spread teams have proven that many times over the past few years. And, what many do not realize, we have a lot of spread influenced play-calling when Sims is in the game (thus far this season).

The bubble screens, the quick screens, the zone runs are all spread elements. We are obviously using the quick screen to get the ball in our playmakers hands. (And I've heard Sims gets these throws out to the WRs a solid half-second faster than Coker). These are high percentage, easy throws as long as both WRs aren't facing press-man. If teams start playing us press man on BOTH WRs out there, we will see all sorts of options opened up. These options will be fairly simple for even a novice quarterback to exploit--especially when you have Amari Cooper. Cooper is tough to jam and if he explodes by a CB, it's an easy toss for 6. The spread is effective because a lot of times one man does not do his job, particularly in man-to-man or cover 2 situations.

If teams play press man from a nickel set on our 2 WR side of the field, odds are they will have to play a safety over the top. This should leave some good options open on the opposite side/down the middle from our TEs and our backs. Easy, simple play calling. Remember when Drake motioned to the two WR side and caught the swing against FAU? Brilliant and simple. The WRs hold their blocks (which is really easy from press coverage) and Drake finds a hole.

Also, some teams are no longer "apexing" their LBs between the tackle and the slot WR. Some teams are playing head up in a Twin WR half of the field. Against a trips look, they are apexing between the 2 and 3 WR. Why? To prevent getting blocked inside, leaving only the Safety and CB to stop a play. If the LB gets blocked out or can get penetration outside the 2 and 3 WR, the ball has to go back inside (for example on a sweep or outside zone run), where at least a Mike/Will will be scraping to help. Where does this help Alabama? Cut back lanes. When Sams and Jacks widen to help on outside runs, we are asking the Mike and Will to cover extra gaps. With solid OL, cut back lanes abound, something we do very well at Alabama.

All of that is because of spread teams "widening" the field. Not because of fear of getting beat deep.

I'm not defending Sims in the Sims v Coker debate, but I do know we can be very successful based on what we have shown through 2 games because we have easy situational adjustments built in. We do not have to throw it deep and stretch the field vertically (in the traditional sense) to win in the SEC. Auburn proved that last year and Tebow-lead UF teams did too, where most of their "deep-balls" were because of coverage break downs.
Super post. The things you point out seem so obvious, but it's been equally obvious some needed to read your explanation to understand the points you've made.

Most excellent post.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
The points you made are exactly why this style of offense has been so successful on the high school level. The biggest thing is that you either have to have an excellent offensive staff on the sidelines for the offense to look at for the plays (Auburn) or an excellent QB to make the proper reads himself at the LOS (Oregon). I think Sims has the tools to be successful based on the last two games and I am interested to see how well he plays on the road. He showed me a lot against WVU when we were backed up against our own end zone.

As you pointed out...having this much talent at WR only makes this style of offense better. One thing we have not really seen yet at all is the read option...and I have a feeling we whip that out against the Gators or maybe even hold off until we head to Oxford. If you can work that into a PA situation...and force a Safety or LB to hesitate...you end up with someone being wide open for 6 points.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
This thread is more refreshing than a nice nap, or a cold beer.

I'm feeling cocky again. All is not lost, we still might have a great season. :smile:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
"The spread is effective because a lot of times one man does not do his job, especially in man-to-man or cover two situations". IMO this is the most critical factor in the success of the spread or read option offense. You put playmakers in space against a confused defense and that is a recipe for disaster. Malzahn understands this philosophy.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
You made one mistake in your write-up. Sims throws aren't a "solid half second" faster than Coker's. The only stat I've seen on that was a difference of .05 seconds, (1.78 vs 1.83 seconds).

Other than that I could agree that spreading things out is not a bad thing for our offense since we have 3-4 RB's capable of home run plays any time they touch the ball not to mention 5-6 receivers capable as well.

I liked a couple of plays WVU ran on us with a full backfield. We've got the players to make some of those plays almost impossible to defend.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You made one mistake in your write-up. Sims throws aren't a "solid half second" faster than Coker's. The only stat I've seen on that was a difference of .05 seconds, (1.78 vs 1.83 seconds).

Other than that I could agree that spreading things out is not a bad thing for our offense since we have 3-4 RB's capable of home run plays any time they touch the ball not to mention 5-6 receivers capable as well.

I liked a couple of plays WVU ran on us with a full backfield. We've got the players to make some of those plays almost impossible to defend.
They seemed a full second slower in the game this past weekend, but I'm sure a lot of that is nerves.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good job on that RTO!

This may be the new Alabama offense...spread 'em out and then pop 'em in the middle with TJ and DH!

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
They seemed a full second slower in the game this past weekend, but I'm sure a lot of that is nerves.
I think part of that is Coker's delivery of the ball was noticeably higher than Sims. Even if the ball arrives to the WR at the same time, Sims put the ball where the receiver could catch it and immediately turn up and make his move. Coker's delivery was not quite as accurate, sailing a little high even when he hit the WR, such that the receiver had to make sure he "had it" before he stuck his foot in the ground and made his move. The result was a slower developing play rather than the explosive burst up the field you should get from that screen.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Excellent post, thank you.

And now you set a thought process in train, these laterals may also help Sims in as much as he doesn't have to see over linemen or coverage (although he has been surprisingly good at both), he just has to swing the ball out while the receiver's blockers are still on their blocks.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Fantastic post, you put things into words I couldn't manage. I kept trying to say that he'd open up different things, but I lacked the eloquence and insight to explain it.

The other thing Alabama fans need to keep in mind is that generally, Alabama doesn't need the offense to be great. Even mediocre has been enough in some years, so it isn't like Blake has to have the offense that Tebow did, or that Auburn had last year. Generally, the defense is going to get the job done.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

One of the best posts I've read in forever. Saban commented on the use of the short passes and screens in his press conference today. He basically said it was called depending on what the defense is showing. When they are playing off the WR's the audible is to these types of plays. The screens are a natural part of taking what the defense is giving you. I agree that if CB's press they will get eaten alive by what our WR's can do. It could become pitch and catch because the talent and depth we have at the skill positions.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Which is why I posted in one of threads that throwing the deep ball is overrated. Most of the HUNH/Spread (whatever you want to call them) offenses rely on short/intermediate passes for their success. I watched aTm the other night absolutely carve up USCe with short and intermediate passes.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice post. I like Blake and I am sure we can win with him. We have one more warm up game before the Gators and I expect him to only solidify his starter position next Saturday.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.