State Penn's bowl eligibility has been restored

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
Re: Penn State's bowl eligibility has been restored

I'm sorry but they shouldn't even have a football program at Penn State imo.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

What a coincidence the news about letting Penn State off was released the same day the Ray Rice mess hit the fan.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

In my humble opinion, loyalty to a corrupt organization or university is misguided loyalty.

The football program should have been terminated, the decisions over the years to tolerate what they did was corrupt beyond comparison.

########

Edit: I also think the decision to cut the penalty serves to de-emphasize the severity of child rape.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

There's no difference in the principle. Whether I commit jay walking or murder, I'm the one who should be punished. We don't throw the whole family in jail because of what the father did. Everyone brings up corporate law. Yes, sometimes employees are harmed during the course of an investigation and enforcement action. That is always the unintended and unavoidable result of punishment. Innocent employees are not targeted for punishment, and in the very rare case where corporations do fold, it is almost always the result of litigation liability rather than a government action. I have no doubt Penn State will be paying out judgments to victims for a very long time, and they should. The bowl ban was never the primary or even the secondary punishment for what went on at Penn State.
As I watched the students riot and protest the night they tore down Paterno's statue, and their celebrations last night, and as I've watched the reactions of their fans and Paterno's family, it is abundantly clear that they are all guilty on some level for what went on up there. I just don't understand how you are failing to acknowledge that fact that a child rapist monster was allowed safe harbor within that community for years ruining only God knows how many young peoples' lives. No one in that community that knew about it - and there were several - was humane enough to put a stop to it. And the reactions of that entire fan base has shown that they still don't get it. They still don't understand.

The power and prestige of that program is what was used to shield that monster. That is what should have been torn down and destroyed forever. Now, it's been made stronger than ever.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I actually have no problem with this view. But once the decision was made not to do so, then I think this was the appropriate course of action. I think people are misguiding their anger at the NCAA's decision today--the right one in my view--with their decision two years ago.
I understand your point, but I think cutting them any slack given the nature of the offense was bound to upset people. You don't correct one mistake (not terminating the program) by making another mistake (reducing the penalties.)

The glorification of Joe Pa was simply put on hold in Happy Valley until the furor died down, then it's back to full schollys and bowl games.

One point worth mentioning, sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't, but we're all Bama fans. I'm sure you understand that as well as I do, but I say it as a reminder to the general board since the topic is so volatile.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Do we know for sure what Paterno et al. knew and when he/they knew it. I thought there was still much undecided over this.:confused:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

This is without question a completely different situation. With Alabama, who was actually harmed by what someone somehow connected to the program did?

At Penn State, children were raped and it was covered up! I don't see how one can even find a way to compare the two. It seems like a mental defect to somehow view those things as having any commonality.

Here's the worst part, more children were harmed to cover up for the program! That's why the punishment was so important. Who did it hurt when a player signed a deal on a napkin? Who did it hurt when someone got a payment? Now ask who did it hurt when for the sake of a football program, a child rapist was allowed to continue. Seriously, I don't want people getting locked up for smoking weed either, but that doesn't mean I suddenly want the jails emptied of rapists. I don't see how people can't draw such logical distinctions.
Yeah, I think Albert Means high school coaches getting some cash to steer him to UA kind of pales in comparison to felonious chid abuse being covered up to protect a program. Let's not forget vacating wins for some guys getting a few extra textbooks. Pure Crap.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

As I watched the students riot and protest the night they tore down Paterno's statue, and their celebrations last night, and as I've watched the reactions of their fans and Paterno's family, it is abundantly clear that they are all guilty on some level for what went on up there. I just don't understand how you are failing to acknowledge that fact that a child rapist monster was allowed safe harbor within that community for years ruining only God knows how many young peoples' lives. No one in that community that knew about it - and there were several - was humane enough to put a stop to it. And the reactions of that entire fan base has shown that they still don't get it. They still don't understand.

The power and prestige of that program is what was used to shield that monster. That is what should have been torn down and destroyed forever. Now, it's been made stronger than ever.
This, we will probably never know how many people knew Sandusky was raping children and looked the other way. But, there's no doubt that it was more than a few. They all acted to serve their god, the Penn State football program, and sacrificing innocent children to their god was perfectly acceptable.

This is what some are deliberately overlooking, how rotten to the core Penn State football became. What we are witnessing, in the behavior of the fans is despicable because they are showing a complete disregard for the victims. In the very least, this sort of thing should be met with somber behavior, their celebration shows the same depraved indifference that allowed the rape of children to go on for such a long time. They've learned nothing.

Some clearly reached a crazy cult sort of behavior, and that crowd demonstrates it. Being a fan is one thing, but I never, at any point, have had any sort of tolerance for fans that find a degree of acceptance for rapists. I guess that crowd probably went home and celebrated with some Michael Jackson songs and then a Roman Polanski movie or two. There are people like that, far too many, who find a way to overlook or excuse rape. I can't, I don't forgive for that sort of thing, I don't overlook that sort of thing, and I don't find any cause for celebration amidst that sort of thing. Imagine how you, as a victim would feel looking out at that crowd celebrating the very people complicit in your rape! Hey look, here's a cardboard standout of the guy who knew children were being raped and did nothing. Yayy!!!

Here's what we know. Penn State football enabled children to be raped. Not just individuals, because the individuals themselves lacked the means to do it. Penn State football itself was guilty! Acts were done on Penn State football's behalf, acts were done with Penn State football's protection. It went well beyond a couple bad seeds, and it went to the point that multiple Penn State coaches were complicit, and multiple people in positions of higher authority were complicit, and we'll probably never know the true extent of enabling, complicity, and dare I say participation. There is something very wrong and sick in that town, and it's pretty much seeped into the groundwater. People speak of punishing the players, what player would want to play for such a despicable program? Who would want to be a part of something with such a horrible recent history? You've got to be at least a little off to be able to do that.

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I really appreciate BamainBoston's take on the issue. Sometimes it is very hard to argue an unpopular position and stand up for an unpopular opinion, even when it makes sense. Punishment should always be directed at those that deserve the punishment. Punishment should always be given by the organization society agrees upon to determine the punishment.

I also appreciate the other's take on the culpability of the organization fans, and yes even the players that are currently on the team. There is something to the fact that they want to be associated with an institution that allowed this to go on to the point IMO that they deserve some repercussions. This is not just witch hunters hunting. This is a society wanting just punishment and an effective deterrent for egregious actions.

I do believe bowl bans were a horrible and not very effective punishment. Removing them makes no difference either way. The NCAA is the wrong organization to determine and levy the punishment for the crimes. The problem is that everyone was clamoring for any and every way to try to right the wrong and the NCAA had to act. What is happening now is as much a result of the general outcry forcing the wrong organization to act as anything else.

That is enough I's for now.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I really appreciate BamainBoston's take on the issue. Sometimes it is very hard to argue an unpopular position and stand up for an unpopular opinion, even when it makes sense. Punishment should always be directed at those that deserve the punishment. Punishment should always be given by the organization society agrees upon to determine the punishment.

I also appreciate the other's take on the culpability of the organization fans, and yes even the players that are currently on the team. There is something to the fact that they want to be associated with an institution that allowed this to go on to the point IMO that they deserve some repercussions. This is not just witch hunters hunting. This is a society wanting just punishment and an effective deterrent for egregious actions.

I do believe bowl bans were a horrible and not very effective punishment. Removing them makes no difference either way. The NCAA is the wrong organization to determine and levy the punishment for the crimes. The problem is that everyone was clambering for any and every way to try to right the wrong and the NCAA had to act. What is happening now is as much a result of the general outcry forcing the wrong organization to act as anything else.

That is enough I's for now.
My take May be unpopular but I think the punishment the NCAA gave them were stupid. I think the bowl and scholarship ban and reeducations were basically the same as USC and us with two meaningless years
The NCAA either should've taken one of three actions

1. Don't get involved and let the university and police handle it

2. Give a 2 year bowl ban plus overall athletic sanctions for all sports not just football and a 3/4 athletic scholarships reductions in all sports

3. Give a 10 to 12 year ban on all athletic functions and sports at university.

This was not just a football situation the athletic board and director were just as involved with this as joe pa

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'll add another thought - The federal Dept. of Education should have pulled grant money from the school, which would have severely crippled recruitment of new students. The Dept is authorized under law to do just that. They should have shut the entire cesspool that is Penn St down. The entire school. Not just football. That would have made the whole NCAA debate pointless. They didn't do it for the same reasons the NCAA is now changing the punishment: the politics of economics. People are losing money and that is more important than the welfare of children or punishing those who have violated their welfare, including entire institutions that were complicit in the same. It's a shame the entire school wasn't shuttered.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I'm going to add another I.

I truly enjoyed the games we played against Penn State. One of my best friends is an alumnus and we had some great times together at those games. Our two programs had a mutual respect and a great history. I hope we never schedule a game with them again.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

This, we will probably never know how many people knew Sandusky was raping children and looked the other way. But, there's no doubt that it was more than a few. They all acted to serve their god, the Penn State football program, and sacrificing innocent children to their god was perfectly acceptable.

This is what some are deliberately overlooking, how rotten to the core Penn State football became. What we are witnessing, in the behavior of the fans is despicable because they are showing a complete disregard for the victims. In the very least, this sort of thing should be met with somber behavior, their celebration shows the same depraved indifference that allowed the rape of children to go on for such a long time. They've learned nothing.

Some clearly reached a crazy cult sort of behavior, and that crowd demonstrates it. Being a fan is one thing, but I never, at any point, have had any sort of tolerance for fans that find a degree of acceptance for rapists. I guess that crowd probably went home and celebrated with some Michael Jackson songs and then a Roman Polanski movie or two. There are people like that, far too many, who find a way to overlook or excuse rape. I can't, I don't forgive for that sort of thing, I don't overlook that sort of thing, and I don't find any cause for celebration amidst that sort of thing. Imagine how you, as a victim would feel looking out at that crowd celebrating the very people complicit in your rape! Hey look, here's a cardboard standout of the guy who knew children were being raped and did nothing. Yayy!!!

Here's what we know. Penn State football enabled children to be raped. Not just individuals, because the individuals themselves lacked the means to do it. Penn State football itself was guilty! Acts were done on Penn State football's behalf, acts were done with Penn State football's protection. It went well beyond a couple bad seeds, and it went to the point that multiple Penn State coaches were complicit, and multiple people in positions of higher authority were complicit, and we'll probably never know the true extent of enabling, complicity, and dare I say participation. There is something very wrong and sick in that town, and it's pretty much seeped into the groundwater. People speak of punishing the players, what player would want to play for such a despicable program? Who would want to be a part of something with such a horrible recent history? You've got to be at least a little off to be able to do that.
^^^^This^^^^^

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

My immediate reaction is shame on the NZAA for backing off the decision they made when the press was nipping at their heels. Relief from the sanctions is an unabashed admission that they only imposed the stronger penalties for public image and really didn't hold the sentiment professed at the time.

I was with the "nuke 'em for 4 years" crowd and clear out all the rats. I am talking about the entire athletic department; everybody goes, down to the last janitor ... who (btw) probably knew what was happening as much as Paterno did. Turn the buildings into classrooms or a butterfly garden for all I care. After 4 years, let the true lovers of Penn State, who had nothing to do with any of it, rebuild a clean program from scratch.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

There's no difference in the principle. Whether I commit jay walking or murder, I'm the one who should be punished. We don't throw the whole family in jail because of what the father did. Everyone brings up corporate law. Yes, sometimes employees are harmed during the course of an investigation and enforcement action. That is always the unintended and unavoidable result of punishment. Innocent employees are not targeted for punishment, and in the very rare case where corporations do fold, it is almost always the result of litigation liability rather than a government action. I have no doubt Penn State will be paying out judgments to victims for a very long time, and they should. The bowl ban was never the primary or even the secondary punishment for what went on at Penn State.
I thought you were done with this thread but I guess it was just wishful thinking.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

In other news, power and money have finally killed of the concept of justice.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

The SEC and its members should refuse to schedule any games with State Penn for a minimum of 20 years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.