State Penn's bowl eligibility has been restored

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Re: Penn State's bowl eligibility has been restored

I would say how I felt about this, but I would violate the language ban here.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

well that is the news of the day.

This means two things 1)we can see what Frankilin can do with a big boy team and 2) PSU is the last hope for the B1G this year

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

The NCAA is essentially saying:
"We found that you did enough wrong regarding the molestation of these children that we decided to punish you, but now we're letting you off for good behavior..."

:rolleyes:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Of course they released the news just after it broke that the Ravens were canning Ray Rice. PR 101, I guess.

I also find it highly interesting that the decision comes down right after the Big Ten fell flat on its face over the weekend essentially eliminating itself from the major postseason picture.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I thought there was still a large group of Penn State/Joe Pa fans that always insisted this was trumped up with nothing to it. They still want a statue of Joe Pa despite the shame he brought them. This incredibly poor decision will confirm what they have been saying all along.

At least we've seen an end to the insulting comparisons between Coach Bryant and the child molester's enabler, Joe Pa.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

There's nobody on that team that was responsible for what happened. Don't think they should be the ones punished.
It's always today's players that pay for yesterday's crimes. Upper classmen had the opportunity to transfer at no penalty. Current recruits commited knowing there were sanctions. The only thing this tells me is that the NCAA wants to make it crystal clear they are a joke of an organization.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Then make them donate the money or a portion thereof to a charity for abused children.
Theoretically, the program was almost nuked because the program had grown too powerful. Those in charge allowed child rape to go on unfettered for over a decade because the program couldn't be allowed to be tarnished.

Simply making a mega-rich organization donate some money to a charity does nothing to dial back the power that had been allowed to grow too large in the community. The way the fan base responded to the ordeal made it clear that they had their priorities way out of whack.

I'll tell you right now that if this had happened at Alabama, I wouldn't be an Alabama fan any longer. I'm really not trying to be sanctimonious, but it sickens me what was allowed to go on up there.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

A good chunk of the Penn State fan base was or is in denial about what happened. They still consider the child molester's enabler to be a hero.

Sentences are sometimes reduced if the guilty party expresses remorse. They rarely are when the guilty party is in defiance about their guilt.

I bet that statue is back within a few years.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

I think TideEngineer has it right. PSU may be the BIG Whatevers last hope of the Football Final Four, though I doubt they come close. I'm trying to think of a time that another school got released "early" from any NZAA-imposed restrictions.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I'm not sure the NCAA has the power or is in the position to effect the kind of change you are talking about, nor am I sure that I want them doing it. By taking it on themselves to do so, they actually managed to rehabilitate Penn St. in the eyes of the public and the media. We've seen that over the last few years. Like I said, hit the organization in the wallets (and this may have been the only time that win vacation was an effective punishment), but continuing the punishment of players and coaches always seemed pointless and counterproductive to me. I have no problem with this decision.

People were fired, people were indicted, statues were torn down. Hopefully Penn St. learned its lesson.
Money doesn't always settle an issue. The crimes were so horrific and allowed to go on so long this was a unique situation. I'm sorry they are getting off easy.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

idk how to go with this...

it is unfair to the players who stayed after the announcement was made in 2011 who grew up wanting to play at PSU to be punished for Sandusky and the university's action but on the otherhand its unfair to the victims that put their trust in the university only to be abused and denied true justice for the university putting football first

but it is the NCAA either way you look at it, but I would agree if it was Bama or USC we wouldnt be this lucky

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Boohoo, guys - that's life. Happens everyday. People lose their jobs (yah, actual careers, not limiting a sport they play or enjoy watching) because CEOs break the laws, accountant's embezzle etc. It's the way it is. If we stop punishing organizations in situations like this, we may as well just throw our hands up and say 'anything goes'.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

They shut the SMU program down dead in the water over cheating.

They spank Penn State's hand over ten years of kids being raped?

Something's off with that. Typical NCAA decision.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.