News Article: Obama Outperforms Reagan On Jobs, Growth And Investing

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'm not going to get into the 'my guy is better than yours' argument but I will say this. Reagan started us on this path of fiscal irresponsibility...............
If you want to blame Reagan, it is a free country. Just make sure you include his drinking buddy, Tip O'Neill, in there with him.

And don't forget after Bush II blew it up, Notzy Pelosi came along.................

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The money saved in the 90s was the peace dividend won by Reagan's military buildup in the 80s. The true cause of today's--and tomorrow's--debt crisis lies many, many decades back. If Reagan had had 8 years of balanced budgets, we'd still be looking at an entitlement bomb about to go off. Congress put us on the path of fiscal irresponsibility.
From everything I have ever read (and I am certain someone will provide data to prove all I have read is wrong) about SS, if all of the money collected had been left untouched by Congress and been paid out like it was supposed to be, this wouldn't even be a topic for discussion. Oh, yeah, that's right; we can't expect Congress to ever do the right thing, so it was a short-sighted endeavor from the jump.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
From everything I have ever read (and I am certain someone will provide data to prove all I have read is wrong) about SS, if all of the money collected had been left untouched by Congress and been paid out like it was supposed to be, this wouldn't even be a topic for discussion. Oh, yeah, that's right; we can't expect Congress to ever do the right thing, so it was a short-sighted endeavor from the jump.
I don't think he is just talking about SS. But I suspect you are right.

There is no pot of money safe from congress whether it is already collected, available to be borrowed, not taxed yet, or not taxed as much as they think they can.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The money saved in the 90s was the peace dividend won by Reagan's military buildup in the 80s. The true cause of today's--and tomorrow's--debt crisis lies many, many decades back. If Reagan had had 8 years of balanced budgets, we'd still be looking at an entitlement bomb about to go off. FDR put us on the path of fiscal irresponsibility.
OK, your guy is better

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I'm not going to get into the 'my guy is better than yours' argument but I will say this. Reagan started us on this path of fiscal irresponsibility and BO saw him and raised him. We nearly recovered once in the 90s from this massive debt but we will be many years recovering from this new round. I realize BO did it to try and spend us out of the recession but way too much of the spending wasted on junk when BO turned it all over to congressional whims and paybacks.
I'm sure we would disagree on the particulars, but I see room in your argument for some consensus. I would trace our spending addiction back to FDR, but RR's spending philosophies ran counter to my grain as well. I had and have a favorable opinion of RR in general (this is where we would probably disagree), but his deficits and his drug war were the two primary areas where I could not reconcile my beliefs with his. Needless to say, the current administration's approach to spending is even further out in the weeds from my perspective.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What I find most interesting about these discussions is how both sides will point to things their guy did in office in order to explain why the next guy shouldn't get credit. It's hilarious how the two sides will take the exact same situation and express why their guy in office deserves credit / doesn't deserve blame because the foundation for said success / failure was laid by the previous administration (or the last time the other team had a guy in office)...

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What I find most interesting about these discussions is how both sides will point to things their guy did in office in order to explain why the next guy shouldn't get credit. It's hilarious how the two sides will take the exact same situation and express why their guy in office deserves credit / doesn't deserve blame because the foundation for said success / failure was laid by the previous administration (or the last time the other team had a guy in office)...
Who feels better today about the direction of our country today -- than they did in 1986........6 years into each "regime" -- ??

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Yup. That happens all the time. Sometimes fairly sometimes not.

Thing is: like BiB said, it is funny how much people put stock in the "it's the economy stupid!" stuff. It is true that the President has little control over our spending habits, whether private enterprise hires, fires, builds, waits to build or scales back. Government overall can scare people and business into a hoarding mentality or make them feel more secure and thus spend, but I don't think the President has as the effect we assume when rewarding or punishing him.

That is one reason why I am so fiscally conservative. Sure there are times we as a people need to allow our taxes to stimulate the economy and sectors of the economy, but I believe that is a rare thing. IMO government should be spending to create a safe and better environment for private enterprise to thrive, not running things that should be private. I THINK that is something Reagan understood that Obama does not.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.