Question regarding honorifics (retired Army)

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I am sending a letter to a city whose administrator is a retired Sergeant Major.

I'm pretty sure the heading will be Sergeant Major XX XXX, U.S.A., Ret.

On the letter body would it be:

Dear Sergeant XXX:

or Dear Sergeant Major XXX:

Help!!

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I'm pretty sure it would be

Dear Sergeant Major XXX

You may want to add (retired) after the Sergeant Major though.
This, except I would not put "Ret." in the salutation, only the address. No big deal either way, the SGM will note that you cared to do it right.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I am sending a letter to a city whose administrator is a retired Sergeant Major.

I'm pretty sure the heading will be Sergeant Major XX XXX, U.S.A., Ret.

On the letter body would it be:

Dear Sergeant XXX:

or Dear Sergeant Major XXX:

Help!!
I would write the address as you described, then use the salutation:

Sergeant Major:

Roll Tide.

Respectfully,

Texas Bama

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
You're sending the letter to a city administrator, not an active duty soldier. Address it to him using his present office, not a past military rank.

I would address it to him in his present capacity, then start the letter with "Dear Sir".

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
You're sending the letter to a city administrator, not an active duty soldier. Address it to him using his present office, not a past military rank.

I would address it to him in his present capacity, then start the letter with "Dear Sir".

BINGO - this is the right answer in my opinion.

I am retired and work with other retired members of the military as a civilian. On this specific instance the civilian address would be used. If it is an occasion in which his rank would be recognized (e.g. veteran's ceremony) then the use of his rank would be okay. The term of address would be Sergeant Major or written SGM. Guess you could call him Top and watch him smile. The rational is even though some when they retire regret leaving the service and are stressed out about it most need to move on to the next phase in our lives. Don't get me wrong, it's a memory that's hard to describe to a person who has never been in but it bothers me for someone to use my military rank, I'm not in anymore, I'm a civilian.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

I am retired and work with other retired members of the military as a civilian. On this specific instance the civilian address would be used. If it is an occasion in which his rank would be recognized (e.g. veteran's ceremony) then the use of his rank would be okay. The term of address would be Sergeant Major or written SGM. Guess you could call him Top and watch him smile. The rational is even though some when they retire regret leaving the service and are stressed out about it most need to move on to the next phase in our lives. Don't get me wrong, it's a memory that's hard to describe to a person who has never been in but it bothers me for someone to use my military rank, I'm not in anymore, I'm a civilian.
I can relate: I'm kind of the same way,and prefer Mr. There are others however, who never really retire and prefer using their retired rank until the day they die. I suppose it's up to the individual. If you don't know their preference, probably best to default to Mr. If you see however that he signs his correspondence with his rank, that's a good indication of his preference.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is the correct answer. I couldn't count the number of retired military I've dealt with over the years here. Even Gen. John Zierdt (retired), made it clear to me that he was now just "John." (The road was named after him, for those of you living in Madison...)

Silverback

1st Team
Oct 5, 2010
Oak Grove
I agree with addressing him in his current capacity. I prefer Mr from everyone but it is often very difficult for those thay served with me to call me Mr.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.