A Rare Recruiting Restriction is Hindering SEC Basketball Growth

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

This is unreal.

End of May, down in Florida, 14 SEC men's basketball coaches sat in a room at a plush resort and discussed for hours how to improve the league ... both on the court and in terms of its perception. They bounced around ideas. Some coaches were more vocal than others. And, I'm told, there was no simple or consensus answer, though sources said non-league scheduling was identified as an obvious issue that should be addressed.

Either way, there's another thing multiple SEC coaches told me hinder improvement.

It's a little-known recruiting restriction exclusive to the SEC.

It has, on some level, created an uneven playing field.

"Jae Crowder is a perfect example," said Georgia coach Mark Fox. "He's a Georgia kid. So I get the job [at Georgia in April 2009], and he's at Howard JUCO [in Texas], and I've got a good contact over there. But he wasn't eligible for us to recruit."

That's because Crowder started his career at South Georgia Technical College, which is also a JUCO. He then transferred to Howard County Junior College for his sophomore year and thus became ineligible for SEC programs because -- Did you even realize this? -- the SEC does not allow its member institutions to sign and enroll prospects who do not spend at least three semesters at the junior college from which they graduated.

Every other power-conference does.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I guess the rule is in place to crack down on people who bounce around from one juco to another.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This was posted on another site to explain the reason behind the rule. Not sure how accurate it is...

I agree that the rule should be changed !!
However the reason for the rule is remarkable

$tan$berry had a junior post who decided late that he would not turn pro. (call him Donte?) Unfortunately the NCAA was visiting starkvegas at the time checking academics on a certain former UA/A&M football coach. The basketball player then fluked out of Mi$$ $tate

$tans then enrolled him for summer in a junior college nearby he passed 18 hours there (although 12 is normal) and at the same time went to junior college college in central Fld which was a JC branch of the now infamous HS God Academies. He graduated In just that one Summer semester and passed a remarkable 24 hours with almost straight As. Since this remarkable commuting student had graduated from a JC - he was eligible. Thus the crazy rule

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.