2014-2015 Coaching Carousel

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Re: 2014-2015 Coaching Carosel

Not to mention his only good year at Rutgers came with Ray Rice at RB. I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.
Only he had more than one good year and, more generally, managed to change the entire outlook of that program.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

No coach in their right mind would take SMU over Nebraska. I don't care if Nebraska might have been on the table for Morris. Clemson OC job > SMU head coach job. Dude messed up.
He's unlikely planning to be at SMU for life, it is a stepping stone to a bigger HC job. Supposedly he's been short listed but not offered several times the past few years, and lack of HC experience was often cited. June Jones actually won at SMU from 2009-2012 (8-5, 7-7, 8-5, 7-6), so that program is not nearly as down as many are making it out to be. The school has money, is located in a recruiting hot bed, has realistic expectations, and plays in a conference where winning quickly is possible. If he has even moderate success he can jump to a bigger/better job in a few years (a stated goal of his), and if he falls on his face D1 teams will still be lining up to pay him $1 million to be their OC...so it's actually a win-win scenario for him IMO. Also Jones recruited for the run-n-shoot, so the current personnel should be somewhat suited for his HUNH spread offense.

I doubt the Nebraska job was on the table with Moirris, could not see them offering a guy without HC experience and could not see Morris turning it down, but who knows.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

USCe and TAMU seem to think they have Muschamp. Since USCe has no OC, they have an open spot to "reorganize" as CSS said this afternoon.
Don't think we have him, but sure do want him. Locally it sounds like it's Muschamps if he wants it, but obviously he has plenty of options so who knows what he'll decide. Local radio said he is vacationing in the Caribbean this week, so don't expect anything until next week (maybe he'll land a gig coaching the Aruba High School team).

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

If you take out his best season (2006), most of us wouldn't even know who he is. He did bring Rutgers back up from the depths, but even including that best season, he's basically a .500 coach with no conference championships.
Is he horrible? no. Should he get the Nebraska job? Not based on that record. He's basically Turner Gill with more years of experience - he did a good job by being average at a below average program but he's given no indications of being ready to take a major program who expects championships.
My point was that Schiano as a college coach isn’t a joke. He took over the Rutgers program after it had been run into the ground for five years by Terry Shea (11-44, 0.200). Rutgers was a dumpster fire when Schiano took over.

In his first four years, he was 12-34 (0.261). Over the next seven seasons, he was 56-33. That’s a 62.9% winning clip at a program with an all-time winning percentage of 50.8%. In 11 seasons, he won nine or more games three times, something Rutgers only managed to do four other times in 141 years of football, including the nine wins they had the year after he left. He won 11 games in 2006, only the second time the school had ever reached double digit wins. He took them to six of the nine bowl games in history and won five of them. Those five wins are the only bowl wins for Rutgers ever.

Not to mention his only good year at Rutgers came with Ray Rice at RB. I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.
Ray Rice was recruited, signed and developed by Schiano. I'm not sure what this comment is even supposed to mean.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Only he had more than one good year and, more generally, managed to change the entire outlook of that program.
I agree. I doubt Rutgers would have been invited to join the Big 10 without the turn-around engineered by Schiano.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I agree.. I think he keeps moving up, He'll be real good over there. he can bring his UAB staff and some of commits over to Samford.. They could win 8 or 9 games next year. IF I were him, I would take the job, if offered. HE could be there two or three yeras, and he'll rise up to where good job opens up.
Samford would be lucky to have him.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

My point was that Schiano as a college coach isn’t a joke. He took over the Rutgers program after it had been run into the ground for five years by Terry Shea (11-44, 0.200). Rutgers was a dumpster fire when Schiano took over.

In his first four years, he was 12-34 (0.261). Over the next seven seasons, he was 56-33. That’s a 62.9% winning clip at a program with an all-time winning percentage of 50.8%. In 11 seasons, he won nine or more games three times, something Rutgers only managed to do four other times in 141 years of football, including the nine wins they had the year after he left. He won 11 games in 2006, only the second time the school had ever reached double digit wins. He took them to six of the nine bowl games in history and won five of them. Those five wins are the only bowl wins for Rutgers ever.
I hear you. But, I guess my point is that that kind of track record would be good for a program like Vanderbilt or Northwestern. A program like Nebraska should not be looking at a guy that made a horrible program decent. They should be looking at a coach who has competed for championships or at least take a risk on a rising star before someone else snags them.
I could cherry-pick a lot of stats (like having an average record of 7.6-5.2 in his last 5 seasons). I compared him to Turner Gill. Maybe a better comparison would be Randy Edsall - except Edsall actually won a Big East championship at Connecticut.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If he gets an offer he's the next HC at lizardland, IMO; no way he turns it down (although he is a WC guy, so maybe he's holding out for UCLA or something). And the East should get a little nervous. Maybe not next year, but it won't be long if JMac is the HC.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Also, because of Hoke Firing, look for them to consider Dan Mullen or Les Miles for the job. This could be the beginning of Dominos falling..... A Job opening at LSU and MSU ....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.