Best Jersey Number In Alabama History?

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I thought Pat Trammel also wore number 12. He was my greatest hero. I would go with 12 in any case.
Steve Sloan wore #12 as well as did Scott Hunter. I'd have to go with 12 but the others quoted bring back good memories. I wore 34 in HS so I always look for that number on the field. Off the top of my head though I can't recall any specific Alabama player that wore it.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Steve Sloan wore #12 as well as did Scott Hunter. I'd have to go with 12 but the others quoted bring back good memories. I wore 34 in HS so I always look for that number on the field. Off the top of my head though I can't recall any specific Alabama player that wore it.
Kenneth Darby immediately comes to mind.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Ozzie Newsome wasn't too shabby.

Come to think of it, look at the possible Bama great on the all time best NFL o-line - Dwight Stephenson at Center, John Hannah at Guard, and Ozzie Newsome at TE. Throw in Don Hutson at split end.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
The official 1934 team photo shows Bryant wearing #12. Another photo from 1933 (perhaps) shows Bryant wearing 12, standing next to Don Hutson, wearing #37 (The Crimson Tide, Winston Groom). The Bryant-Trammell-Namath-Stabler lineage is hard to argue with.

Johnny Musso was the definition of the player the Heisman Trophy was meant for. He was a strong, elusive runner, a solid blocker, could wing a halfback pass effectively, tackled like a maniac on special teams, and I may be mistaken but believe he quick-kicked a time or two. And he played hurt against Auburn.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Ozzie Newsome wasn't too shabby.

Come to think of it, look at the possible Bama great on the all time best NFL o-line - Dwight Stephenson (57) at Center, John Hannah (73) at Guard, and Ozzie Newsome (82) at TE. Throw in Don Hutson (37) at split end.
What's your point?

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
Great discussion. So many great players we've had the privilege to watch. One correction to a previous post. Steve Sloan wore #14. The other QB's who played with Sloan wore #12. Of course that was Namath and Stabler.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
For me...22. I want to say that Musso and Sullivan were in the same HS class. Musso went to Bama and Sullivan to some cow college. Sullivan won a Heisman but Bama got the better player. Man, he was an effort player if there ever was one.
Same class but at different schools. Musso went to Banks while Sullivan, I think, went to John Carroll. Those two made it a particularly great time to be a Bama and an Auburn fan. I cheered for both teams then because I was young and naive.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
Like so many others my favorite is number 12. I'll never forget as a young kid watching Namath and Stabler playing. I can still envision Namath dropping back and throwing.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Great discussion. So many great players we've had the privilege to watch. One correction to a previous post. Steve Sloan wore #14. The other QB's who played with Sloan wore #12. Of course that was Namath and Stabler.
You are right about Steve Sloan wearing #14. For some reason it came to mind hours after posting. Thanks for correcting that mistake.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.