Where is the read option?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
32 rushes, 38 passes - a lot of passes in a game that was virtually over by the second quarter. I think that says more than the actual plays that were run. Valuable, irreplaceable "experience" and hopefully one more game of it.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
I believe they have it in back pocket but may have practiced it starting camp, if we have a game where nothing is working we could possibly see it but I doubt it in that game. Saban would be more likely to go through 2 or 3 qbs before changing our offense philosophy. Now if they take the next week and practice and practice the zone read then you could see it the following week.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I disagree you don't change what you run or who you are in a game. You make adjustments and change your play calling but don't switch philosophies. For a few reasons, 1) more than likely you haven't practiced that and you will have mistake after mistake trying to run it. 2) you show no confidence in your players or coaches which will lead to losing your team. 3) we are who we are because that is the best suited for our kids. If not we would already be running another style offense.

So what I am saying is change formations, play calling, run /pass % but don't change who you are.

It doesn't take a complete overhaul to add three or four read option plays. No one is saying to go out there and scrap everything we're doing and run a complete playbook of a "new" offense. Just run the ones Blake ran when he would come in last season for mop up duty. You know the ones where he broke long runs against Arkansas and Missouri? When you've got a quarterback who has legit FBS running back ability you don't not use it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Don't think we would have hired Kiffin, if that were going to be the case...
I would hope not. I'm just saying I've seen times (under Saban) that we stubbornly continue to run the same thing even though it's wasn't working. But if he gives Kiffin complete control (which it seems he has) then I'm hoping we don't have to worry about that.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
It doesn't take a complete overhaul to add three or four read option plays. No one is saying to go out there and scrap everything we're doing and run a complete playbook of a "new" offense. Just run the ones Blake ran when he would come in last season for mop up duty. You know the ones where he broke long runs against Arkansas and Missouri? When you've got a quarterback who has legit FBS running back ability you don't not use it.
I have to just disagree our offensive running game is built on power. Our offense linemen are road graters and not smaller quicker linemen used for pulling and misdirection. We run better when we follow fowler pulling through the hole and blowing up linebackers. When you go spread you loose te's and h backs. I want sims to run on naked boots and when he scrambles because of pressure I do not want my qb taking shot after shot especially in the sec.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If Sims is the starter longterm, I think we'll see more.

Heck, they called what looked like a QB sweep earlier.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.