Are we saving our Tight ends?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
So apparently Coach Saban feels the same way about wanting us to utilize the TE position more.. That's pretty cool that we were just discussing this. Coach Saban is lurking in your threads :eek2:

Link

Here is another link discussing how much of the playbook we have shown, and how much we have left. Related to the topic of the OP's question

Link

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
It is a fair question and yeah, it'll come. I think WVU made some strategic choices to limit TE success. Last week, I think the first three screen/swing passes to Cooper went for something like 50, 40, and 30 yards with a TD. Obviously, the QB was making the right read there. Eventually someone (read: Florida) is going defend that play with formations. Those formations are going to be designed to jump that route or make sure defenders are not outnumbered on the edge. Most of the ways you do that create mismatches for the TE. It may be that USM will try some of that this week to keep Cooper bottled up, but FAU never made that adjustment (not criticizing them for that decision, don't think they had the athletic ability to do it). Florida has the athletic ability to try to do that and cover the TE with a linebacker. I do not see a CWM defense letting that play to Cooper be regularly successful until we can show that another play from that formation is potentially more damaging.

At that point we need quick solid decision-making from the QB and the QB and TE to make plays.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
It is a fair question and yeah, it'll come. I think WVU made some strategic choices to limit TE success. Last week, I think the first three screen/swing passes to Cooper went for something like 50, 40, and 30 yards with a TD. Obviously, the QB was making the right read there. Eventually someone (read: Florida) is going defend that play with formations. Those formations are going to be designed to jump that route or make sure defenders are not outnumbered on the edge. Most of the ways you do that create mismatches for the TE. It may be that USM will try some of that this week to keep Cooper bottled up, but FAU never made that adjustment (not criticizing them for that decision, don't think they had the athletic ability to do it). Florida has the athletic ability to try to do that and cover the TE with a linebacker. I do not see a CWM defense letting that play to Cooper be regularly successful until we can show that another play from that formation is potentially more damaging.

At that point we need quick solid decision-making from the QB and the QB and TE to make plays.
The good thing about that is. If the safeties are too deep a quick pass is a easy throw for a good gain, if they come up, OJ has the speed to burn them on another easy throw just give it some air and let OJ run under it. We all know it's coming. Can't wait to see it work.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
So apparently Coach Saban feels the same way about wanting us to utilize the TE position more.. That's pretty cool that we were just discussing this. Coach Saban is lurking in your threads :eek2:

Don't you know tidefans.com is so good that Coach Saban gets his gameplan, recruiting advice, and other coaching tips from tidefan posters lol jk

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Moving both Dakota Ball and Brandon Greene to TE seems . . well, almost desperate(?) Is it fair to say Malcolm F has been, uh, less than productive?

Really thought Greene would log some game time at one of the OL spots this season.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I don't if you're old enough to remember Bart Kraut (TE in the late 70s) but he averaged about 30 yards per reception. At some point the safetys will roll and we'll torch somebody.
Didn't he have an older brother named Sauer? :)

We've been saving our TE's since before the Stallings era. Free the TE's!!!

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Coach Saban said recently OJ needed to be more involved in the passing game. At this point, I just don't think it has been there.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
As long as no team is playing bump and run on Amari with a safety double covering over the top, we're going to throw the quick pass and he's going to be our primary receiver by a vast majority.
That being said, Are we hiding the tight end?
In my opinion, yes.
sip

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So we are hiding our tight ends and our secret plays? I understand that there are always plays in the "bag" that you call at certain times but I wouldn't think a short hitch or slant to OJ would be such a big secret that will catch teams off guard..

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm sorry I just can't believe that some people actually believe we are purposely not throwing it to our tight ends. Throwing the ball to a tight end isn't a secret..

Bama Whiz

Jan 28, 2014
As long as no team is playing bump and run on Amari with a safety double covering over the top, we're going to throw the quick pass and he's going to be our primary receiver by a vast majority.
That being said, Are we hiding the tight end?
In my opinion, yes.
sip
Do you truly believe this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I heard the Tight Ends are saving themselves for the right moment. But when the time is right, they'll be ready. You don't want to just give up your body for any old play, you want it to be special. When they do, I'm sure they'll score.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.