Are we saving our Tight ends?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Coach Kiffin is placing a lot of emphasis on getting the ball to Amari in an effort to get a team like Florida to place more emphasis of covering him, certainly with a double team, and maybe even additional help.
This will open up big play potential for the tight ends and other receivers like Chris Black, who I think will torch somebody very soon.
The problem to date is that nobody has changed their defense very much in an effort to stop Amari, so we keep running the same play. And why not? It works.
Florida will cover Amari up pretty darn good, that's a gimme , and that's when you'll start seeing the tight ends more, in my opinion. So in a way, right this second, we're kind of saving them, or a better phrase may be, "we're not utilizing them like we will be".
sip

Last edited:

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I heard the Tight Ends are saving themselves for the right moment. But when the time is right, they'll be ready. You don't want to just give up your body for any old play, you want it to be special. When they do, I'm sure they'll score.
on second thought, nevermind

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I think Coach Kiffin is placing a lot of emphasis on getting the ball to Amari in an effort to get a team like Florida to place more emphasis of covering him, certainly with a double team, and maybe even additional help.
This will open up big play potential for the tight ends and other receivers like Chris Black, who I think will torch somebody very soon.
The problem to date is that nobody has changed their defense very much in an effort to stop Amari, so we keep running the same play. And why not? It works.
Florida will cover Amari up pretty darn good, that's a gimme , and that's when you'll start seeing the tight ends more, in my opinion. So in a way, right this second, we're kind of hiding them, or a better phrase may be, "we're not utilizing them like we will be".
sip
This is what I really like from what I see from Kiffin so far. If the defense isn't changing he isn't either. Call the same play over and over and if they can't stop it, keep running it. Why show things if you don't have to? I do understand the whole make them practice for something else, but I think that is why the QB controversy. They have to prepare for both of them. When we need to use the TE's more we will.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Florida will cover Amari up pretty darn good, that's a gimme , and that's when you'll start seeing the tight ends more, in my opinion. So in a way, right this second, we're kind of saving them, or a better phrase may be, "we're not utilizing them like we will be".
sip
This is what I was talking about (or thinking rather) when I posted this thread. Thanks Sip..

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
sip
I agree with your thoughts, but I'll bet Florida plans to cover Amari with one guy. They just happen to have one of the few guys who may be able to cover AC by himself. The strategy will be fun to watch next Saturday. We should start to see what type of team we can become offensively against their defense. I think both their offense and our defense are still trying to find an identity, so that should also be fun to see. Roll Tide!

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I did see howard make a great block in the backfield yesterday. however, I still feel hopefully temporarily we are waiting for sec season. Williams was the most tight end use I can remember, and that was not much. our offense just not work the tight ends much, they block. now we have a potential pass catching one. I remember many years ago when I was stationed in Maryland, and a Maryland fan. the terps had a pro set offense. and a strong rush game. they had a all American, all pro tight end, named Vernon davis. he was as good as any receiver anywhere. guess what he was lucky to get 2 or 3 passes a game. he still a great tight end. but, with our receiver dept, and our concern for blocking for the run we use two tight ends. I would love to see such a talent utilized before he goes pro.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I agree with your thoughts, but I'll bet Florida plans to cover Amari with one guy. They just happen to have one of the few guys who may be able to cover AC by himself. The strategy will be fun to watch next Saturday. We should start to see what type of team we can become offensively against their defense. I think both their offense and our defense are still trying to find an identity, so that should also be fun to see. Roll Tide!
I think any team that covers Amari with one guy is in for a long afternoon :)

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I did see howard make a great block in the backfield yesterday. however, I still feel hopefully temporarily we are waiting for sec season. Williams was the most tight end use I can remember, and that was not much. our offense just not work the tight ends much, they block. now we have a potential pass catching one. I remember many years ago when I was stationed in Maryland, and a Maryland fan. the terps had a pro set offense. and a strong rush game. they had a all American, all pro tight end, named Vernon davis. he was as good as any receiver anywhere. guess what he was lucky to get 2 or 3 passes a game. he still a great tight end. but, with our receiver dept, and our concern for blocking for the run we use two tight ends. I would love to see such a talent utilized before he goes pro.
Colin Peek and Brad Smelley asks:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.