Are we saving our Tight ends?

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I was just observing that since we started this year under Kiffen's offense, that I haven't seen him use his tight ends once in the passing game. Really to me, everythings been kinda vanilla. I'm not talking about being on the field for blocking support either. I wonder if we'll see them get more action in the SMU game this weekend or is he saving Florida some film study by not having any pass plays go to them that they can watch. He might not want anyone seeing that part of our Offense until we start SEC play. I don't know, but OJ Howard is too great a weapon not to be targeted at least 4-5 times a game. And Vogler also. Also could we see Fowler line up at that position. I don't know. But this got me thinking, I haven't seen any TE action. And we need to use those guys. Whatcha think?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Man its too early to bring this up. We already discussed this in other threads. We're taking what defense gives us. No need to open up plagbooks. Be patient

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
The tight ends will come into play especially if safeties move up to stop the run an screen passes. You will see TE down the seams, and if the team overloads to one side expecting run or screen pass you will see play action boot with TE in the flat. We have not had it because defenses have not pressed yet. It is coming and it will be... Wait for it, wait for it....LEGENDARY lol

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I'd like to see Fowler get more catches. He has earned it coming back from a nasty knee injury. Made a nice catch last sat.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
saving them? I think it is more of a case of training QB's in play calling, formations, pre snap reads and the nuances of being a D1 QB in a pro set offense than anything. As the QB's get more comfortable, more pages will get turned in the playbook.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Watch the WVU game and tell me we didn't want to utilize the TEs. When Blake rolled out and a TE attempted to get into the flats for a dump off, a WVU DE or LB grabbed him to prevent the route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I guess I said everything the wrong way, didn't mean we weren't trying to utilize them the right way, were we not using them as much to maybe not let SEC competition see any formations that they run or such. That's all I meant....and then I read that post that Tidefan in AU put up. Thank you. So forgive me for asking.....

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I was just observing that since we started this year under Kiffen's offense, that I haven't seen him use his tight ends once in the passing game. Really to me, everythings been kinda vanilla. I'm not talking about being on the field for blocking support either. I wonder if we'll see them get more action in the SMU game this weekend or is he saving Florida some film study by not having any pass plays go to them that they can watch. He might not want anyone seeing that part of our Offense until we start SEC play. I don't know, but OJ Howard is too great a weapon not to be targeted at least 4-5 times a game. And Vogler also. Also could we see Fowler line up at that position. I don't know. But this got me thinking, I haven't seen any TE action. And we need to use those guys. Whatcha think?
when I was in high school, we had plays that coaches would 'keep off film' specifically for certain teams. I have to think this is a pretty common thing for all coaches to do.

I really would like to see OJ Howard get a couple of those receptions and get more involved in the passing game. But I guess it's kinda hard to come off Number 9 when he keeps coming through for us.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I guess I said everything the wrong way, didn't mean we weren't trying to utilize them the right way, were we not using them as much to maybe not let SEC competition see any formations that they run or such. That's all I meant....and then I read that post that Tidefan in AU put up. Thank you. So forgive me for asking.....
fair question, and you are forgiven.;) i think the more 'exotic' plays will come in a few weeks. Coker had 3 plays targeting the TE's against FAU

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I would think the tight ends would benefit from catching a few balls live in a game to get the experience.

That's the argument we hear about the quarterbacks, it seems like it would be the same for the tight ends.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
saving them? I think it is more of a case of training QB's in play calling, formations, pre snap reads and the nuances of being a D1 QB in a pro set offense than anything. As the QB's get more comfortable, more pages will get turned in the playbook.
it it is worth noting that OJ caught very few passes last year when we had the most experienced pro set college quarterback in America. Either the tight end just isn't a consistent priority target in our scheme, or OJ, despite his obvious physical gifts, is still figuring out the college game.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
When Cooper is open enough to get 25 catches in 2 games, the TE's aren't a high priority. As the competition gets better and the QBs are forced to move beyond the first option more frequently, I think you'll see the TEs more involved.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
The tight ends will come into play especially if safeties move up to stop the run an screen passes. You will see TE down the seams, and if the team overloads to one side expecting run or screen pass you will see play action boot with TE in the flat. We have not had it because defenses have not pressed yet. It is coming and it will be... Wait for it, wait for it....LEGENDARY lol
I don't if you're old enough to remember Bart Kraut (TE in the late 70s) but he averaged about 30 yards per reception. At some point the safetys will roll and we'll torch somebody.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I don't think we are saving them, but like everyone else I am anxiously awaiting their usage. It'll come.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.