Want opinions from Tide fans.... UAB Football 2014?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
All I know is that if I were an AD looking for a head coach next year (a list that should have half the big 10 schools) this dude already has my attention. In fact, depending on how the season plays out for UAB and Vandy/Arky, there may be a couple of SEC schools willing to take a risk on Clark. He's not exactly an unknown commodity given his tenure at Prattville and we know for a fact that long time high school coaches can have success at the next level as did Gus.
There's a difference, though. Gus was at Arkansas for a year as OC in 2006. He then went to Tulsa for two years. Chizik hired him at Auburn as OC, and he stayed for three years. He then got a year as HC at Arky State before going back to Auburn. He had six years of experience via being an assistant coach before taking the Arkansas State job. He was fortunate to get his first college gig as a SEC OC.

Clark, OTOH, left Prattville in the spring of 2008 to be DC at a start-up program. They recruited and prepared the program for a year and had their first season in 2009. Their opponents were teams like Hargrave and JUCOs. That was what Clark faced in 2009 and 2010. In 2011 and 2012, he faced some Power 5 schools but was in FCS and the Sun Belt. He has a year of head coaching experience at FCS Jacksonville State.

Gus was able to start his collegiate coaching career in the SEC. Clark started at a start-up South Alabama program.
Gus was an assistant for six years. Clark was an assistant with on the field experience for five years.

Clark will get his chance in a few years if he continues to do well, but he will have to go 11-1 and another solid season next year in order to get to a major coaching job within the next two to three years.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
There's a difference, though. Gus was at Arkansas for a year as OC in 2006. He then went to Tulsa for two years. Chizik hired him at Auburn as OC, and he stayed for three years. He then got a year as HC at Arky State before going back to Auburn. He had six years of experience via being an assistant coach before taking the Arkansas State job. He was fortunate to get his first college gig as a SEC OC.

Clark, OTOH, left Prattville in the spring of 2008 to be DC at a start-up program. They recruited and prepared the program for a year and had their first season in 2009. Their opponents were teams like Hargrave and JUCOs. That was what Clark faced in 2009 and 2010. In 2011 and 2012, he faced some Power 5 schools but was in FCS and the Sun Belt. He has a year of head coaching experience at FCS Jacksonville State.

Gus was able to start his collegiate coaching career in the SEC. Clark started at a start-up South Alabama program.
Gus was an assistant for six years. Clark was an assistant with on the field experience for five years.

Clark will get his chance in a few years if he continues to do well, but he will have to go 11-1 and another solid season next year in order to get to a major coaching job within the next two to three years.
All very good points and nicely done. But, as I said, if I am in the market for a coach as an AD then Clark is already on the radar. UAB is totally transformed in one off season. Maybe the previous coach could recruit and not put it together on the field but the results of what Clark has done in a short time have turned that program around. We will see how the season plays out but color me impressed already.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Gus had as much of an impact on AR when Nutt was there as I did. (AR wanted players from his high school and a package deal was struck which ended in disaster) Clark is one heck of a coach to do what he has done there and in the time allotted.

theshow4jsu_13

3rd Team
Apr 13, 2007
Birmingham, AL
www.myspace.com
I watched the JSU program go from Ok under Crowe to an excellent squad in one year under Clark. I think all good coaches can win, regardless what level they are coaching. However, he will have to prove himself and sustain wins before he gets a legit shot at a larger school.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Gus had as much of an impact on AR when Nutt was there as I did. (AR wanted players from his high school and a package deal was struck which ended in disaster) Clark is one heck of a coach to do what he has done there and in the time allotted.
I know why Gus got the job. Just pointing out the differences in their paths and why I don't expect Clark to get a major job after this season.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Nutt and the rest of the coaches were constantly ridiculing Gus, including never calling him by his name, just referring to him as "High School".

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well they are obviously better than they usually are. Can they hold on to the coach, though?

They're going to need a lot of money to build up their facilities just to a level that's near what their own conference has. I just don't see it happening, since their fan support is almost nonexistent. If that changes, maybe they have a chance in the long run to be more than a joke. But this year, maybe they'll make a bowl.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.