Alabama Defense improved compared to last year

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
First I gotta say that I agree with you that we won't know anything for sure until Oct. However, I also also believe that WVU is pretty good. I base that on how they played the game. We had our issues, but there's no denying that Holgerson is a great offensive mind, and some of those plays were just good athletes making great plays. They have a former 5* RB that CNS recruited very hard, and they have a good QB and receivers. Some of the catches they made were great catches in traffic, and for the most part, Trickett was played very good. Holgerson had a top 10 offense for 4 straight years until last year. They had a ton injuries last year and were playing a lot of young guys. I feel like that 4-8 season is an anomaly rather than the norm. They play OU next week, so we'll know soon enough how good they are or aren't.
Agree, wvu and Tennessee games for OU are comparison games for us. Both will have been played by next Saturday. Those will be huge indicators.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
too soon to tell after two games. to put it in perspective Baylor currently has one of the best scoring defenses. how many people think it will stay like that?

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
too soon to tell after two games. to put it in perspective Baylor currently has one of the best scoring defenses. how many people think it will stay like that?
exactly. some things still dont pass the eye test with me but we have time to work them out. I also think we have some young guys who can step in help with our weaknesses. Question is, how much P/T will they get in the big games.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
If you take scoring defense and combine with rushing/passing stats, that combination can give you a pretty good indication of the quality of a defense (not a complete picture, but a good indication). EVERYTHING regarding those figures from the first two games indicates Bama's defense will be better than last year's, IMO, especially if you take in to account who did not play in the first game. Key injuries early might make a big difference.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
It's too soon to tell anything meaningful, but I thought our DL would be more disruptive. Lots of new faces to integrate there, so I would expect steady improvement.

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
Thats an asinine statement. Pedestrian?
How so? The one real team we played made us look average most of the game. Maybe we aren't average, but we'll have to improve and show it against someone other than FAU or USM. As most everyone has said, we'll see in few weeks.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
It's too soon to tell anything meaningful, but I thought our DL would be more disruptive. Lots of new faces to integrate there, so I would expect steady improvement.
This is very true, consider that Robinson missed a bunch of camp with a knee injury and might not be 100%, Reed missed a significant chunk of camp, Ivory the same, Tim Williams might've missed the most. I think the unit will improve more as the new faces get more experience and the veterans who missed time get in better shape and form.

When you add in the absence of Depriest who is the senior leader and playcaller and the absence of Eddie Jackson (whose replacement was the target of most of their offense) you begin to see why we might've looked "average".

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Thats an asinine statement. Pedestrian?
I think what he meant is that the defense hasn't played up to the hype. I, along with alot of posters here, thought this was going to be one of the best defenses ever. So far though, too soft in the middle against the run, pass rush ok but not great, and some of the cb play, well... I am expecting it to continually get better though and I am hopeful that will all the talent it will eventually live up to the hype.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I think what he meant is that the defense hasn't played up to the hype. I, along with alot of posters here, thought this was going to be one of the best defenses ever. So far though, too soft in the middle against the run, pass rush ok but not great, and some of the cb play, well... I am expecting it to continually get better though and I am hopeful that will all the talent it will eventually live up to the hype.
We had miscommunications against WVU and one corner that had some serious problems (and will probably never start another game in 2014).

If I had to describe our defense I'd use words like: rusty, unsharp, young, inexperienced. Pedestrian? A pedestrian D gives up 5 TDs against WVU, not 1.

Our pass rush is fine. It's hard to sack a QB on a 3 step drop or on quick outs out of the shotgun.

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
I'm less worried about sacks given the quick passes from WVU. What worries me is softness (Saban's word after first half of WVU) and, related to that, concerns in the middle of the defense. That softness seems to have been evident throughout both games. We don't seem to stone people but catch runners as they're falling forward. And, of course, we'll see how far our corners have come when we face stiffer competition.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
We had miscommunications against WVU and one corner that had some serious problems (and will probably never start another game in 2014).

If I had to describe our defense I'd use words like: rusty, unsharp, young, inexperienced. Pedestrian? A pedestrian D gives up 5 TDs against WVU, not 1.

Our pass rush is fine. It's hard to sack a QB on a 3 step drop or on quick outs out of the shotgun.

Can't argue the first two points you make and I guess we'll see on the pass rush. I think we've had 3 sacks in each game? but I'm just not seeing what I expected yet. No worries though as it's a long season... Like I said, this defense has some high expectations to live up to.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

By our standards, I would say a disaster D gives up 5 tds, again what I've seen so far against one legitimate opponent I would call average(pedestrian, if you will) with the potential to improve and get better. I have not said our defense is bad and am not hitting any panic buttons, I'm simply saying that the jury is still out on how good we actually are, and there were some things in the WVU game(not only corner play) that were concerning. After the Auburn and Oklahoma debacles, defensive improvement is the first thing I wanted to see this year and I don't think we've really got an answer yet. There is no question that we have the talent that it takes to be very good on that side of the ball--the question as I see it is how quickly our players can develop. Personally, I think this debate, for lack of a better word, will pretty much be settled after the Texas AM game.

Last edited:

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It makes my head hurt to think that people think the first test of the defense is Florida. I'd wager WVU is FAR ahead of Florida offensively.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Agreed. Some are acting like the sky is falling because of one game with two key starters out and an opponent that is a good offensive team. I think Coach Saban and Smart's track record and our incredible talent would have some bearing on how our defense will turn out. Too many pessimistic thoughts on our defense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In case some of you haven't noticed, offenses aren't what they were. A defense can still be good and give up yards we didn't expect a few years ago.

In case some of you haven't noticed, offenses aren't what they were. A defense can still be good and give up yards we didn't expect a few years ago.
Exactly!

We tightened up in the second half of the WVU game, only allowed six points.

Also this D looks different already with DePriest and Jackson back. From what I remember, that 2009 defense took a while to get its legs too. Give them time. I believe we are right on schedule.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.