News Article: If Scotland can secede, so can Texas

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Right now, Texas has an infantry division with two infantry brigades and a Combat Aviation Brigade.
And you're thinking if Texas were to secede the US would allow them to keep the military hardware?

Considering how contentious it would be - it would almost certainly cause another civil war, but even if it somehow did not - I dare say the US government would do NOTHING to help Texas.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
And you're thinking if Texas were to secede the US would allow them to keep the military hardware?

Considering how contentious it would be - it would almost certainly cause another civil war, but even if it somehow did not - I dare say the US government would do NOTHING to help Texas.
National Guard belongs to the state, unless federalized. If Texas was out of the Union, federalizing them might prove difficult.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am already here in Texas! I'm all in!

My only request is that we annex the states that have SEC teams! Then, we can build a Great Lone Star Wall to keep out outsiders. The Lone Star Nation would be made up of Alabama, Ar Kansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Mittittippi, South Carolina, Tennercee and the largest state in the Lone Star Nation, Texas!

Each state that enters the Lone Star Nation can have as many representatives as it does National Championships in the old United States in its legislative branch. Having a Barn as a campus doesn't count! All others can have 2 representatives. The President has to be originally (from Birth) a state that has a school with a National Championship. We will dig up Judge Roy Bean to serve as the Judicial Branch. If any other state in the U.S. wants to be admitted, it has to be approved by 100% of all original Lone Star Nation states. California, Illinois, and New York need not apply. They would never get 100% vote to be admitted. College Station or Tuscaloosa would be the temporary new national capital. Austin is too liberal. Liberals would be flown over the the Lone Star Wall out of the state in a relocation project for this great nation. They will have one way tickets to Iran or Iraq. After this relocation project, Austin will become the national capital.

Sounds like a plan.
does that count all sports? also all divisions? if so the state of Alabama would have too many reps.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
National Guard belongs to the state, unless federalized. If Texas was out of the Union, federalizing them might prove difficult.
CA is right. The hardware is not theirs at all - it's federally owned. They'd have to go on the market and buy it for themselves - many billions of dollars worth. Those oil dollars would run out pretty quickly. What's lost from a former post is that TX receives 43% more in federal dollars than they pay in, so there's a huge hole in their budget which would have to be filled immediately. Notwithstanding the bloodiest war in this country's history was fought to establish that union in a one way street, I would shed not a single tear to see it. The Schadenfreude would be worth it just to see how badly Texas politicians could screw up running a country. President Perry trying to remember the names of his cabinet departments or President Cruz standing in Galveston commanding the tides to retreat. Enough low humor to last me the rest of my life...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Rick Perry or Ted Cruz version of Texas first would cause much of the gulf coast to secede from this new union as the New Orleans to Mobile stretch is pretty Catholic and would not take to no evolution in school and being told that the earth is 6,000 years old.

Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, Houston would all end up looking like Fallujah as emboldened "warriors of christ" tried to march in and drag out the hippies, gays and others who've made "poor lifestyle choices"

Yeah, this would fail so fast it isn't funny
The Houston suburbs however, are very strong conservatives so in the words of Lee Corso "Not so fast my friend."

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
CA is right. The hardware is not theirs at all - it's federally owned. They'd have to go on the market and buy it for themselves - many billions of dollars worth. Those oil dollars would run out pretty quickly. What's lost from a former post is that TX receives 43% more in federal dollars than they pay in, so there's a huge hole in their budget which would have to be filled immediately. Notwithstanding the bloodiest war in this country's history was fought to establish that union in a one way street, I would shed not a single tear to see it. The Schadenfreude would be worth it just to see how badly Texas politicians could screw up running a country. President Perry trying to remember the names of his cabinet departments or President Cruz standing in Galveston commanding the tides to retreat. Enough low humor to last me the rest of my life...
I hope you guys like $10/gl gasoline...gotta pay for that military hardware. ;)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
IMO the pros outweigh the cons:

A lot of Texans are in the US military. They would transition over to that of their new country. Plenty of military infrastrure is in place and Texas would get their share of the hardware.

Tax policy would continue to attract businesses, people who already have money, and those who like the idea of becoming wealthy (by keeping most of what they earn).

Getting rid of most of the welfare state would allow people's money to be used much more efficiently (generating more wealth) and would force the slugs to either get off their arse and be productive or move to some loser-friendly country.

But, I tend to agree with Jon. The fundies would probably screw it up over infighting on such important issues as which Protestant school prayer does God want to the exclusion of all others.
We'll give you Joel and Victoria Osteen.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
But federally funded - that's my point. The US government paid for the hardware. I suspect they'd not let that go quietly.
Okay, a couple of points.
First, would the US fight to keep military facilities and hardware funded by the military? Maybe (they've done it before). But it would be waging a war to recover property (although it would be sold in emotional "mystic cords of memory language). Not the most honorable reason for fighting.
Second, unless, going to the point you made about Mexico invading, if that invasion did not happen, National Guard costs are pretty low unless mobilized (as they would be in the event of a hypothetical Mexican invasion of a hypothetical independent Texas). No invasion, no mobilization. The odds of such a Mexican invasion succeeding in such a case are exceedingly low, given the numbers.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Perhaps.
A few points.
First, the "43%-more-in-Federal-spending-than-paid-in-taxes" goes, in large measure, for the US military installations like Fort Hood, Fort Sam Houston, Fort Bliss, Lackland AFB, Corpus Christi NAS etc. Activities that would have to be moved to the United States in the event of Texas leaving the Union. But then again, Texas would not need to maintain those activities for the entire United States either.
Second, Federal social safety net money comes with mandatory social safety net expenses. An independent Texas would no longer face Federally-mandated social safety net spending requirements. I'd wager that in an independent Texas you'd see a significant drop in Texas organic social safety net spending (followed by a significant emigration of recipients of social safety net recipients).
Third, with Solyndra, Fast & Furious, Benghazi, weaponizing the IRS against political opponents, executive amendment of law, refusing to interdict illegal immigration (and forbidding states and localities from enforcing the law), and now, asserting the executive power to bomb a country without Congressional authorization, the current lot in Washington has already given potential Texas leaders a run for their money in enacting harmful policies.

When British officials told Gandhi that Indian muslims and Hindus would have serious problems running their own country, Gandhi responded, (appropriately enough, I believe), "Perhaps. But they will be our problems, not yours." Texans could probably make the same argument.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Perhaps.
A few points.
First, the "43%-more-in-Federal-spending-than-paid-in-taxes" goes, in large measure, for the US military installations like Fort Hood, Fort Sam Houston, Fort Bliss, Lackland AFB, Corpus Christi NAS etc. Activities that would have to be moved to the United States in the event of Texas leaving the Union. But then again, Texas would not need to maintain those activities for the entire United States either.
Second, Federal social safety net money comes with mandatory social safety net expenses. An independent Texas would no longer face Federally-mandated social safety net spending requirements. I'd wager that in an independent Texas you'd see a significant drop in Texas organic social safety net spending (followed by a significant emigration of recipients of social safety net recipients).
Third, with Solyndra, Fast & Furious, Benghazi, weaponizing the IRS against political opponents, executive amendment of law, refusing to interdict illegal immigration (and forbidding states and localities from enforcing the law), and now, asserting the executive power to bomb a country without Congressional authorization, the current lot in Washington has already given potential Texas leaders a run for their money in enacting harmful policies.

When British officials told Gandhi that Indian muslims and Hindus would have serious problems running their own country, Gandhi responded, (appropriately enough, I believe), "Perhaps. But they will be our problems, not yours." Texans could probably make the same argument.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'd love to see the show. Republic of Texas, led by President Perry and a cast of legislature clowns... :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Perhaps.
A few points.

And, don't ever believe that they maintain those bases out of the goodness of their hearts for the good of the country. Those bases are there because of political clout and would cost Texas scores of thousands of jobs. As for your proposition that they'd try to starve their poor into leaving for other states, I'd say "Seal the southern border with Texas - no more illegal immigrants..." :D

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Just like Atlanta.

Cobb County residents would probably lead the war party to midtown (if they weren't so terrified of going into the city)
LOL! For years I never had to cross Hwy 6, which, at the time was the "outer loop." I'm now at Beltway 8, the middle loop, and I hate it. You're right, we're horrified of going in to town with all the yups, libs, drags, arties and other "progressives." ;)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
And, don't ever believe that they maintain those bases out of the goodness of their hearts for the good of the country. Those bases are there because of political clout and would cost Texas scores of thousands of jobs. As for your proposition that they'd try to starve their poor into leaving for other states, I'd say "Seal the southern border with Texas - no more illegal immigrants..." :D

We're shipping Austinites to "the mainland."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Rick Perry or Ted Cruz version of Texas first would cause much of the gulf coast to secede from this new union as the New Orleans to Mobile stretch is pretty Catholic and would not take to no evolution in school and being told that the earth is 6,000 years old.

Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, Houston would all end up looking like Fallujah as emboldened "warriors of christ" tried to march in and drag out the hippies, gays and others who've made "poor lifestyle choices"

Yeah, this would fail so fast it isn't funny
Is it your contention that the federal government is the only thing that keeps those militant Christians from attempting to purge the world of "sinners"?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.