News Article: If Scotland can secede, so can Texas

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I think that even in Texas the percentage of Christians willing to impose their will at that level would be small.
I think history already gives us those answers. Since the invention of the printing press and the Reformation, violent oppression of minorities by Christian majorities for religious reasons has been reduced to isolated cases in the West, including heavily religious societies such as Victorian England and America during the Great Awakening. Pogroms for religious reasons are far more likely in societies steeped in theological liberalism* such as Germany of the 30's and White Russia in the 20's, and individual cases in modern Western republics are far more likely to be from secular leaders with just enough religious background to be spectacularly ignorant, such as U.S. Grant's infamous General Order No. 11.

I'll grant that the left/right clash would get ugly in Tejas if they someday seceded, but it would remain a political battle rather than a physical one. Fear of an oppressive theocracy is (IMO) unwarranted.

* - Theological liberalism weakens or even dispenses with the authority of the scriptures, which has historically made it's adherents pliable in the hands of adept political (especially nationalist) leaders who can successfully manage to convince church leaders of the authority of the state over the church. Herr Schicklgruber took no small advantage of theological liberalism. Here's a quick view. A study of Karl Barth's antipathy to Nazism will lead you into good studies of this subject as well, regardless of one's opinion of Barth.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I think history already gives us those answers. Since the invention of the printing press and the Reformation, violent oppression of minorities by Christian majorities for religious reasons has been reduced to isolated cases in the West, including heavily religious societies such as Victorian England and America during the Great Awakening. Pogroms for religious reasons are far more likely in societies steeped in theological liberalism* such as Germany of the 30's and White Russia in the 20's, and individual cases in modern Western republics are far more likely to be from secular leaders with just enough religious background to be spectacularly ignorant, such as U.S. Grant's infamous General Order No. 11.

I'll grant that the left/right clash would get ugly in Tejas if they someday seceded, but it would remain a political battle rather than a physical one. Fear of an oppressive theocracy is (IMO) unwarranted.

* - Theological liberalism weakens or even dispenses with the authority of the scriptures, which has historically made it's adherents pliable in the hands of adept political (especially nationalist) leaders who can successfully manage to convince church leaders of the authority of the state over the church. Herr Schicklgruber took no small advantage of theological liberalism. Here's a quick view. A study of Karl Barth's antipathy to Nazism will lead you into good studies of this subject as well, regardless of one's opinion of Barth.
I think you may underestimate the number of 6000 year old earthers in public office here. And in this hypothetical scenario, there would be no US Constitution nor US federal courts.

Edit - this secession thesis is ridiculous anyway

Last edited:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I think you may underestimate the number of 6000 year old earthers in public office here. And in this hypothetical scenario, there would be no US Constitution nor US federal courts.
Eh, I just don't think hyper-conservative Christians in the government make for much of a physical threat to non-Christians. Political threat (oppression real or perceived), perhaps. Physical threat, no. History makes me view charismatic leaders with loosely held, malleable religious beliefs as more dangerous.

Agreed. As likely as a bowl of dragon soup.

Anyways, I'm out. If you Texas fellas secede, please keep I-10 open and consider Willie for the Department of Agriculture. You can't have a king. Bob Wills is still the King. That is all.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Eh, I just don't think hyper-conservative Christians in the government make for much of a physical threat to non-Christians. Political threat (oppression real or perceived), perhaps. Physical threat, no. History makes me view charismatic leaders with loosely held, malleable religious beliefs as more dangerous.

Agreed. As likely as a bowl of dragon soup.

Anyways, I'm out. If you Texas fellas secede, please keep I-10 open and consider Willie for the Department of Agriculture. You can't have a king. Bob Wills is still the King. That is all.
If Texas secedes, you'll see me on IH10 heading east. :)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
hopefully we'll never know who is right
I am with you in that I hope it never gets to a point that we'd find out the answer. Despite all our flaws in this country, what we have and have had all these many years is the general ability to live as we each see fit. Sure, there were and still are wrinkles to be ironed out. Some were pretty stiff wrinkles that needed a lot of starch.

Still, I cannot agree with your assertions of some deep seeded interest by the Christians in this country to wipe out those we don't agree with, and that somehow we've just been ever so slightly held in check by the federal government. Are there groups out there with malicious intent? Large groups, even? Sure. But look at Westboro Baptist, regarded by everyone as the most radical Christian sect in this country. What they've done is horrible, sure. But they've yet to physical assault anyone. I don't excuse their behavior in the slightest. But I don't regard them as potential murders, either.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If Texas secedes, you'll see me on IH10 heading east. :)
We are going to annex all states east of Texas, so I-10 all the way to Jacksonville, FLA will be in the Lone Star Republic! Remember! We have to keep the SEC as it currently is. We may even have to put the Horns in the SEC East! Does Big Head/Big Mouth/Big Game Bob and those Sooners or Laters want to be part of the SEC East also?

TexasBama, you'd better head west on I-10 past El Paso. And I thought you were a loyal Texas.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
We are going to annex all states east of Texas, so I-10 all the way to Jacksonville, FLA will be in the Lone Star Republic! Remember! We have to keep the SEC as it currently is. We may even have to put the Horns in the SEC East! Does Big Head/Big Mouth/Big Game Bob and those Sooners or Laters want to be part of the SEC East also?

TexasBama, you'd better head west on I-10 past El Paso. And I thought you were a loyal Texas.
Leave out Matagorda Island and I have no problem.....

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
We are going to annex all states east of Texas, so I-10 all the way to Jacksonville, FLA will be in the Lone Star Republic! Remember! We have to keep the SEC as it currently is. We may even have to put the Horns in the SEC East!...
OK, all the rest of the Texas Seceding talk is pretty crazy, but whatever... However, allowing the UTw to become part of the SEC is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put. :mad:

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
OK, all the rest of the Texas Seceding talk is pretty crazy, but whatever... However, allowing the UTw to become part of the SEC is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put. :mad:
Okay! Please place every comment that I've made in this thread in BLUE. Okay.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
But there would be a Texas Constitution and Texas courts.
Texas Bill of Rights said:
Sec. 6. FREEDOM OF WORSHIP. All men have a natural and indefeasible right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own consciences. No man shall be compelled to attend, erect or support any place of worship, or to maintain any ministry against his consent. No human authority ought, in any case whatever, to control or interfere with the rights of conscience in matters of religion, and no preference shall ever be given by law to any religious society or mode of worship. But it shall be the duty of the Legislature to pass such laws as may be necessary to protect equally every religious denomination in the peaceable enjoyment of its own mode of public worship.
Why? Because polities never break up?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Still, I cannot agree with your assertions of some deep seeded interest by the Christians in this country to wipe out those we don't agree with, and that somehow we've just been ever so slightly held in check by the federal government. Are there groups out there with malicious intent? Large groups, even? Sure. But look at Westboro Baptist, regarded by everyone as the most radical Christian sect in this country. What they've done is horrible, sure. But they've yet to physical assault anyone. I don't excuse their behavior in the slightest. But I don't regard them as potential murders, either.
Don't get me wrong I don't see it happening day 1 but roll with this with for me a second and I'll try to explain why I think it will get here

first you are putting a group in power that is 100% convinced that they are not only 100% right in everything they believe but also divinely inspired and divinely supported in being this way. They are, much like their god, infallible in every way as long as they stick to a completely literal interpretation of the bible.

This is a group of people who feel right now that they, as the majority (in their minds) should be able to impose their version of Christianity on the rest of America. They tell people like me all the time that this is a Christian country and that freedom of religion is not freedom from religion, which is of course total nonsense. If this group get's to create a new government there in absolutely no way in made up hell that these guys allow for the "mistakes" in the constitution that don't spell out that their country is am explicitly evangelical christian country.

Here in lay a really large problem. These are people who claim, with complete sincerity that homosexuality is a choice and they have a way to fix those who are gay. Now study after study after study have shown, gay isn't a choice and conversion therapy is considered at best a waste of time and money by most mental health professionals and by some as downright cruel.

But remember these people are not and cannot be wrong. They are divinely inspired and posses the only real truth which is now codified into their constitution. So how long before the very existence of not converted gays in TX cause these idiots to lose their minds and start rounding them up for camps? And do you really think that these people would allow non-reformed gays in the streets? Remember these are infallible they have the word of god on their side and cannot be proven wrong. The very existence of gays proves them wrong.

Sorry seems like I am writing a dystopian novel at this point but I think this devolves into an American Talliban pretty freaking quickly.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Jon, all I can say is that I'm sincerely sorry that you feel that way.
I want it understood however that I don't see this as a failure of Christianity per se, any belief system that claims 100% truth and can be shown to not be 100% true while also having absolute power will in my opinion dissolve into tyranny and chaos

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.