My son got his first rec(recruiting) letter today...

MeSoForney

Aug 30, 2014
So my son plays hs fb here in Bama. His coach handed him an envelope as he was leaving today, from Bo Pelini!
Unfortunately I didn't play, so I'm not that knowledgable of the whole process. Guess it's time for a crash course! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: My son got his first rec letter today...

So my son plays hs fb here in Bama. His coach handed him an envelope as he was leaving today, from Bo Pelini!
Unfortunately I didn't play, so I'm not that knowledgable of the whole process. Guess it's time for a crash course!
Well, here's the deal. No matter what happens from here on out, THAT is an incredible honor, and it's an opportunity for your son.
Now, use some common sense--Jump up and down, scream and shout, and know in your heart---that's one of the best moments of your life. :)
And I can promise you, it's a great moment for your son as well.
Enjoy it!!!
sip

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

He doesn't play football but my son got his acceptance letter from the university today.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Congratulations. This is already one if my favorite threads. I have a few years left before these kind of things happen in my house. I am glad to see you are happy about the letter.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Congratulations. This is already one if my favorite threads. I have a few years left before these kind of things happen in my house. I am glad to see you are happy about the letter.
Enjoy them while they're young. Mine is an only child, so once one phase of their life is past, its gone forever.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Enjoy them while they're young. Mine is an only child, so once one phase of their life is past, its gone forever.
I try. I have been a teacher since 1994 and I have seen kids I teach come and go but I see mine doing the same thing. I have been fortunate enough to be teaching in the same school as him and it is great watching him grow up, but my gosh they grow up so fast.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Sorry, I thought you meant he got a letter from the Red Elephant Club.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

Unfortunately I didn't play, so I'm not that knowledgable of the whole process. Guess it's time for a crash course! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Does his signature look like "Voldemort" by any chance?

Seriously though, that's awesome!

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Oh! rec is short for recruiting. Now I'm embarassed.I had forgotten that The Red Elephant Club was only a secret society dedicated to destroying Alburn and has nothing to do with recruiting.

Last edited:

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
Congratulations! Playing any sport at the college level is quite an honor. Many years ago my Daughter played college tennis and for a couple of years she was the only American on the team. The joy experienced by a parent as they watch their child succeed in life is the purest form of joy....of course grandchildren take that joy it to a whole new level!

Savor every moment!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
A serious response - I don't know your financial situation, but, over the last 6 months I have gotten to know my orthopedic surgeon pretty well. ( he is a vol fan). He comes from a middle class background and with aid could of gone to college anyway, but he told me the scholarship to DII Truman state to play football enabled his family to save enough money on tuition that he was able to attend medical school. He said without it, he couldn't afford to go. . Even if you can afford to send your kids to college, athletic scholarships enable kids to dream bigger. Good luck to you and your son, Hopefully he will have good choice.

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
First off, great name.

Secondly, I'll give you my personal 2 cents based on being in your son's situation with no guidance whatsoever. By the time I figured it out, I was a few years out of COLLEGE. Needless to say, my ignorance contributed greatly to me not playing at all and all I have left of it is a closet full of shoe boxes with D1 recruiting letters.

What you probably want to do is start saving money for camps and such. Keep in touch with the school(s) that send recruiting info. Build a relationship with the recruiting coordinator at said school(s). Also wanna keep in mind when you go, that camps sponsored by the school itself is not really a camp. It's a combine. They're not there to teach you anything. They're there to scout you up close & personal. So it's best to be at your best when you go (physically as well as attitude). As we've seen, some kids stand out so much that they leave with committable offers in hand.

You might also want to invest in an HD camcorder and record his footage if his high school team doesn't already do it. Once a school starts to zero in on you, they don't care about your highlights; everyone has those. They wanna see what you're doing on the footage left off of the highlights. And once that eye in the sky is on him, remind him that taking plays off isn't optional if he's serious about going to the next level. Does him no good have a motor on one play and disappear for the next 3.

And the other part of it is taking care of business in the classroom. No doubt in my mind that that's even an issue, but it's a big part of it.

But congrats to you and your son and good luck to your son going forward. I hope this experience is a great one for you & your family.

Last edited:

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Congrats to your son. We went through this recruiting thing a few years ago and it's a whole gambit of emotions. Here are a few things to keep in mind: keep all the letters, enjoy any visits you and your family get to take to schools, talk to people in the areas of study your son is interested in, sit down with the coach and ask specific questions about practice, class/ lab conflicts, find out requirements for freshman and study tables (most are mandatory but some are better than others), ask what skills your son needs to improve on b4 he gets to college, don't jump at the first offer if you get one, your son needs to decide before he signs anything if he wants to redshirt, be willing to sit a year or two b4 playing significant time, etc...and remember, bigger is not always better. Your high school coach or AD should be able to guide you, if not, another coach in your area who has had kids recruited will be happy to help. Bottom line, almost all local coach's want to see local kids get a chance to play at the next level. Best wishes on a successful and fun time, we really enjoyed ours. It will be over b4you know it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.