Saudi Arabia has an extensive border with Syria? WH spokesman thinks so...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The political boundaries imposed by colonial authorities neve meant much in the first place. In a lot of ways, it's just the middle east rearranging itself along ethnic/tribal lines...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
(All this not to excuse the idiot in the White House, of course...) ;)

"No yer lernin' boyo."
(Editorial comment, Denzel Washington's character is in the background of that photo because I could not find a good photo of Sergeant Major Mulcahy without any of his trainees also in the photo.)
(Second editorial comment: Oh, you meant the spokesman in the White House.)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
David Fromkin's book, A Peace to End All Peace does a good job of laying out how the boundaries got where they are and how dysfunctional it all as.
I heard good reviews of it, but I haven't read it yet. Sounds like a good time to read it. I'm thinking that the only thing which will save Saudi is if the Shi'a will finally really fight, when it comes down to their homeland and shrines. Even a week or ten days ago, I thought it was too late, but, with our air help, the Kurds and some Sunni, even some military Shi'a, have reversed the field in northern Iraq. However, I think I'm afraid the Kurds are through fighting, once Kurdistan is safe. I don't think they'll fight for the southern Shi'a lands any more than the Shi'a Iraqi army would fight for the northern Sunni cities...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I heard good reviews of it, but I haven't read it yet. Sounds like a good time to read it. I'm thinking that the only thing which will save Saudi is if the Shi'a will finally really fight, when it comes down to their homeland and shrines. Even a week or ten days ago, I thought it was too late, but, with our air help, the Kurds and some Sunni, even some military Shi'a, have reversed the field in northern Iraq. However, I think I'm afraid the Kurds are through fighting, once Kurdistan is safe. I don't think they'll fight for the southern Shi'a lands any more than the Shi'a Iraqi army would fight for the northern Sunni cities...
I'm afraid you're right about the Kurds. They'll defend their own turf if threatened, but they won't go looking for trouble elsewhere.
The Saudis' policy of paying extremist malcontents to go elsewhere may come home to roost.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm afraid you're right about the Kurds. They'll defend their own turf if threatened, but they won't go looking for trouble elsewhere.
The Saudis' policy of paying extremist malcontents to go elsewhere may come home to roost.
People just don't realize how few Saudis there really are, after you subtract all the "guest workers," particularly in relation to the vast territory they command...

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Well, take a look at the Mideast map. Iran thought they had a stable client in Iraq. Now, suddenly, they have an extensive border with Syria/Iraq, calling itself the new caliphate. Country names have become irrelevant. What is really keeping Saudi from having an extensive border with Syria/Iraq/Caliphate is a relatively narrow band of Shi'a across southern Iraq. Unless ISIS can be stopped, those people may be forced to emigrate east and west into the southern Shi'a (Alewhite) area of Syria and east into Iran. Then, Saudi will indeed have an extensive border with Syria, under a new, catchy name.
Syraqia?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The political boundaries imposed by colonial authorities neve meant much in the first place. In a lot of ways, it's just the middle east rearranging itself along ethnic/tribal lines...
The Saudi border with Iraq was a strand of barbed wire and a stone hut every five km. Not much of a barrier to movement. I'm sure the Iraqi-Syrian border is similar.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.