Swatting

I was watching ABC News and I saw this segment on what is called SWATTING. If where, young people are calling in bomb threats to certain police departments and here comes those SWAT teams. If apparently wastes taxpayers money. Have anyone of you heard of this?

I think these youths should be caned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I read something like that in a magazine. Youthful hackers could call 911 about something serious and the number and address that kids wanted to target would show up. Barrel of laughs watching SWAT break down the door.

Like" Hurry please my wife's got a gun. I think she killed the kids. Help!"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes, it's been popping up in the news. Just about as smart as flash mobs in Kroger parking lots, but maybe safer. There are going to be more deaths from the gleeful mob syndrome. At my age, I'm not going to go out being kicked in the head in a parking lot. I'll get out of my vehicle, weapon drawn, and give the leaders a choice. This will happen somewhere - watch the news. It may have to happen more than once before teens out of control come to their senses, or what little sense the teenage brain has...

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I don't understand how people get away with that. Aren't all calls to 911 traced by the phone number and location? I would think that it would be easy to track down these punks and give them some time to think things over the hard way.

I guess they could call from payphones, but even with that there are usually ways to track down who was calling.

The sheer stupidity of some people is mind boggling and downright depressing.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I don't understand how people get away with that. Aren't all calls to 911 traced by the phone number and location? I would think that it would be easy to track down these punks and give them some time to think things over the hard way.

I guess they could call from payphones, but even with that there are usually ways to track down who was calling.
This has been around for a while now. They are spoofing caller id info so the call ends up appearing to come from the address they want swatted.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Sunday Huntsville Times had an article on "Call Spoofing" This actually happened to us last week! Looked at caller ID and the call was from us!:conf2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

In December 2007, a hacker used a Caller ID spoofing service and was arrested for sending a SWAT team to a house of an unsuspecting victim.[SUP][4][/SUP] In February 2008, a Collegeville, Pennsylvania man was arrested for making threatening phone calls to women and having their home numbers appear "on their caller ID to make it look like the call was coming from inside the house."[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP]

Here is a spoof site: https://www.spoofcard.com/

You can also disguise you voice. Useful if ValuJet or Cajun wanted to sound masculine!!:biggrin:

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.