Making fun of the way someone speaks is racist...if they are black

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Umm, because they sound like an idiot, perhaps?

At this point, in this country, there is absolutely no excuse for anyone under the age of, say, 75 years old to not use proper English when both speaking and writing. Anyone who fits this criteria - especially college-educated individuals - and is unable to use proper punctuation, use proper sentence structure, and correctly use and pronounce common English words deserves to be publicly ridiculed.
As long as you agree that you deserve to be publicly ridiculed for all of your shortcomings, I have no objections.

That's perfectly fair.

We, as a society, need to stop getting our collective panties in a wad over every stupid little thing. If we don't want to be mocked, rather than getting angry and/or litigious and trying to prevent others from being able to mock someone else, we should just stop giving people reasons to mock us.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
OK, I'll go against the grain here. Making fun of the way people speak can be racist. It's not always the case, but it certainly can be. I know that the racists that I have known were quick to mock idioms and pronunciations, regardless of the race or culture they held in disdain.

Here's the difference - racists who are, for example, racist against black people make fun of the way black people speak because they speak the way black people speak. People who are making fun of people who sound like idiots when they speak - and just happen to be black - aren't racist, as long as they make fun of everyone who sounds like an idiot when they speak.

Heck, half of my extended family sounds like a bunch of idiots who never made it past fourth or fifth grade. :) I'll often sit and do crossword puzzles and such at extended family gatherings just to try to "counteract" all of the "dumb" surrounding me. :biggrin2:

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
That's perfectly fair.

We, as a society, need to stop getting our collective panties in a wad over every stupid little thing. If we don't want to be mocked, rather than getting angry and/or litigious and trying to prevent others from being able to mock someone else, we should just stop giving people reasons to mock us.
So, you think those who don't like to be mocked or ridiculed for making a (GASP!) grammar mistake are the ones with their panties in a wad. But those who are so bothered by the small mistake they feel compelled to mock or ridicule the person who made the (GASP!) grammar mistake don't have their panties in a wad. If you're one of these people you need to get over yourself and get a life.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
So, you think those who don't like to be mocked or ridiculed for making a (GASP!) grammar mistake are the ones with their panties in a wad. But those who are so bothered by the small mistake they feel compelled to mock or ridicule the person who made the (GASP!) grammar mistake don't have their panties in a wad. If you're one of these people you need to get over yourself and get a life.
Somewhat along those same lines, I'm all for having a good laugh and all. But it seems as a society we have zero boundaries for what and who we make fun of. We are a society that makes fun of everything. Now I don't want to sound like a prude or anything because I dish out my share. But there are a lot of people who seem to have to take someone's misery, bad situation, or whatever and maliciously make fun of it.

Like messicun midgets trannies with a lisp. Do we really have to make fun of them?

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Well, it's not like I'm talking about belligerently berating people for comma splices - even JessN sprinkles several of those in with his articles.

I'm talking about laughing at and, yes, even comically berating people for egregious grammar and/or pronunciation errors - especially ones you would typically expect a 50+ percentile middle school student to avoid making.

EDIT:
Uafan4life's grammar and spelling rule of advice #3:
- If your speech and/or writing makes you sound like an idiot, do not be surprised if I assume that you are an idiot and/or treat you like one.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I can't help it....sale is not a verb!!!!!!
And "sell" is not typically a noun! :)

Seriously, I was driving along with the wife a while back and saw a van parked in someone's front yard with two signs in the windshield:

"for
SELL"

and

"HANICAPED"

I saw it, chuckled, and said aloud: "Yes, yes you are."
:biggrin:

It took my wife about two seconds to look around to see what I was talking about before laughing herself.

We did agree, however, that we would both feel bad about laughing at them if they were indeed mentally handicapped. Around here, though, spelling and grammar that atrocious routinely comes from people who seriously ought to know better so we gave ourselves the benefit of the doubt.
:)

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I keep thinking these folks are talking about putting the dang thing on a boat and heading out into the bay...and they just misspelled the word. Then I come to my senses and realize it's our new English being created for us. Forget about nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs....say whatever you dang well please.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think it's "cool" up to a certain point. I laugh at myself sometimes because I'm not as good as I should be at grammar. I'll say something and a few seconds later think to myself "Good night alive that sounded backwoods." And I've got a college degree. But there's a point where it becomes annoying. If someone truly thinks it is the end all be all that someone use perfect grammar. Then rather than making fun of someone, why not pull them aside and help them?

I've also found that many grammar police think they're somehow smarter than other people just because "their thing" is speaking perfect grammar. I USED to hang around a dude (in college) that was a member of the grammar police. It was funny at first how he'd point out someone in the group's wrong word usage or sentence structure. But when it got to be a common thing and others realized that he was just trying to put himself out as an elitist and make himself feel good. He found himself a lonely person. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. The guy that is Billy Joe Bad Britches at grammar may suck in other areas of intellect. The dude I mentioned above strangely enough struggled in math (which is my strength). Most people like this can dish out the criticism but when you find their weakness (whatever that may be) and start making fun of them all of a sudden the "game" isn't so funny or desirable to play.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Well, it's not like I'm talking about belligerently berating people for comma splices - even JessN sprinkles several of those in with his articles.

I'm talking about laughing at and, yes, even comically berating people for egregious grammar and/or pronunciation errors - especially ones you would typically expect a 50+ percentile middle school student to avoid making.

EDIT:
Uafan4life's grammar and spelling rule of advice #3:
- If your speech and/or writing makes you sound like an idiot, do not be surprised if I assume that you are an idiot and/or treat you like one.
Let me guess... you're in IT or something similar?

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Let me guess... you're in IT or something similar?

I'm not sure if that's just a good educated guess or a jogged memory - as it's been previously referenced on this forum - but I'm a Senior Developer / Team Leader for a mid-size software development company.

I've also been a Systems Administrator for a couple of private-sector manufacturing companies and a Sales and Service Manager for a Computer / Network Sales and Support company (local, small business) in the past, if that helps.

Interestingly enough - since I'm pretty sure I know where you're trying to go with this - Customer Relations has been one of my highest rated "attributes" at both my current position and at the small business level. When our company needs a developer to assist on a sales call anywhere in the Southeast, I'm usually the one that goes.

Sometimes it's difficult, I'll grant, but I do know how and when - if necessary - to use tact and bite my tongue around people who parade themselves out to be idiots.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.