Making fun of the way someone speaks is racist...if they are black

Funny, I never pronounced it that way and I think it is hilarious when people say it, and skreet or anything along those lines. I'm not talking about children either. I'm talking about grown adults.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I make fun of my cousins from N. Alabama all the time because they make one syllable words sound like two syllable words. I wonder what people think of me when I try and pronounce Worcestershire sauce. I feel like I have a wad of cotton in my mouth trying to say that.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
The funniest part of the sign-maker's FAIL is that, while attempting to make fun of JW's pronunciation, the sign says that strong/scrong is a verb. It reminds me of the time Bobby from Homewood called Finebaum's show to make fun of a girl's country accent. At one point in his diatribe he said, "She can't even speak good grammar, Paul!" :rofl:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The funniest part of the sign-maker's FAIL is that, while attempting to make fun of JW's pronunciation, the sign says that strong/scrong is a verb. It reminds me of the time Bobby from Homewood called Finebaum's show to make fun of a girl's country accent. At one point in his diatribe he said, "She can't even speak good grammar, Paul!" :rofl:
Hopefully he said "WDE" after the diatribe.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I tend to agree with you. I believe Racism does exist, but so does 'reverse racism' if there is such a term. Seems like every issue today is rooted in Racism. I have seen that used as a defense against those outraged by Ray Rice (very small minority )

There should be no 'Vernacular' used by an Amercican man raised in an American City attending an American institution of higher learning. The reason we have language classes is so that we may communicate and understand each other . with that, I really don't understand the whole thing with Jameis' speech anyway. I didn't hear Skrong used, and considering the moment, I think he did OK. I have been accused of speaking bad English myself.
I see poking fun at words like that, no different than making fun of Southerners Drawl or Black comedians making fun of uptight white folk speak.

bottom line, you don't know what is in someone's heart. Good or bad. Racist or not.

Last edited:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Anywhere I go in the U.S., outside the south, someone comments on my accent. In other countries, those who understand English don't "hear" my accent, they just hear English. I find it easier to establish respectful rapport when I don't have to overcome the initial condescension and preconceptions based on my accent. Having fun with the way someone speaks is fine, but it's awfully easy to try to define someone's complete existence by their manner of speech.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Anywhere I go in the U.S., outside the south, someone comments on my accent. In other countries, those who understand English don't "hear" my accent, they just hear English. I find it easier to establish respectful rapport when I don't have to overcome the initial condescension and preconceptions based on my accent. Having fun with the way someone speaks is fine, but it's awfully easy to try to define someone's complete existence by their manner of speech.
I have experienced bias as I have traveled and even from friends I have known all my life when they visit from other parts of the country. I have fun with them over it and even exaggerate my southern dialect at times. My lack of stress and ability to engage in conversations soon win them over. Perhaps if sensitivities were lessened and everyone stopped being so "offended" by so many things, the world would be a better place.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Why you make fun of some one for language or any other reason for that matter?

Umm, because they sound like an idiot, perhaps?

At this point, in this country, there is absolutely no excuse for anyone under the age of, say, 75 years old to not use proper English when both speaking and writing. Anyone who fits this criteria - especially college-educated individuals - and is unable to use proper punctuation, use proper sentence structure, and correctly use and pronounce common English words deserves to be publicly ridiculed.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
In the video game Borderlands 2, there is a preteen white girl (Tiny Tina) who speaks ghetto slang, and there was an uproar about it, saying it is racist and all that.

My question to those with objections is, "who says this speech pattern is to be associated exclusively with black people?"

Last edited:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
At this point, in this country, there is absolutely no excuse for anyone under the age of, say, 75 years old to not use proper English when both speaking and writing. Anyone who fits this criteria - especially college-educated individuals - and is unable to use proper punctuation, use proper sentence structure, and correctly use and pronounce common English words deserves to be publicly ridiculed.
As long as you agree that you deserve to be publicly ridiculed for all of your shortcomings, I have no objections.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
In the video game Borderlands 2, there is a preteen white girl )Tiny Tina_ who speaks ghetto slang, and there was an uproar about it, saying it is racist and all that.

My question to those with objections is, "who says this speech pattern is to be associated exclusively with black people?"
Black people do.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
OK, I'll go against the grain here. Making fun of the way people speak can be racist. It's not always the case, but it certainly can be. I know that the racists that I have known were quick to mock idioms and pronunciations, regardless of the race or culture they held in disdain.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.