Cooper vs Julio...Who is better?

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
As of today, Cooper, he is the one wearing Crimson. It would be fun to see them both on the field at the same time. Talk about driving a DC crazy.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I think Cooper maybe faster than Jones.
Julio cranked out a 4.43, and then an eye-popping 4.39 at the combine of all places. This coming off a foot injury. For comparison A.J. Green ran a 4.48 and then a 4.51. I love them both but think speed wise Julio has it. I also agree Coop is more like A.J. Green and has superior balls skills. Great argument to have at least were not discussing (in the words of Richard Sherman) two mediocre receivers. Speaking of can't wait to see Julio destroy him lol.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Julio cranked out a 4.43, and then an eye-popping 4.39 at the combine of all places. This coming off a foot injury. For comparison A.J. Green ran a 4.48 and then a 4.51. I love them both but think speed wise Julio has it. I also agree Coop is more like A.J. Green and has superior balls skills. Great argument to have at least were not discussing (in the words of Richard Sherman) two mediocre receivers. Speaking of can't wait to see Julio destroy him lol.
You and me both!!!

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Cooper is more polished while Julio is more physically imposing.

I bet Julio would have enjoyed playing on this 2014 team. Instead of screens I imagine we'd see more slants/hitches since Julio was much better at breaking tackles.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Picking one over the other would depend on the offense type. Run first = Julio. Haven't seen many receivers destroy secondary on blocks the way he did. Pass first = Amari. Better pure receiver.

Nitpicking differences, because both are great wideouts. What a great choice to have.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Re: Cooper vs Julo...Who is better?

I've tried to compare them mentally, and, as I said way above, Coop is more like a pure receiver, in the mold of AJ Green, as those qualities have usually been perceived. Julio was a running back until the beginning of his junior year, when they thought he'd grown so tall, he could help more as a receiver. (Although he played a little of everything at one time or another.) Coop doesn't have the strength of Julio and can't realistically achieve it. He'll never drag a couple of tacklers five yards into the EZ. I'll just consider them just different and continue to think about it... :D
I can't believe Jones wasn't moved to linebacker!

It seems like Cooper gets more separation and many times is wide open. Maybe Cooper has quicker moves; Jones is strong and fast. Does anyone know how they truly compare in size (not just what's on rosters)?

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

It seems like Cooper gets more separation and many times is wide open. Maybe Cooper has quicker moves; Jones is strong and fast. Does anyone know how they truly compare in size (not just what's on rosters)?
Jones has gotten more separation in the NFL than he ever did in college, to my eyes. He's become more polished and is still honing his receiver skills. But Amari is still superior in that respect, IMO. I think there are very few corners in the NFL who will be able to contain Amari once a he gets there.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I would say Julio but the stat books wouldn't support this because we didn't use
Him as much as coop. Julio was more physical

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
They're probably the two best wideouts ever to wear Crimson.
One is more of a finesse route runner, one uses his physical ability to beat defenders.
The advantage I would give Julio is that he was covered up by defenses when he was at Bama.
He faced double and sometimes triple coverage most of the time.
Amari hasn't had to overcome that, primarily because we have so many weapons our opponents can't focus on him.
In other words, it's a little easier for Amari to get open than it was for Julio.
Once he hit the NFL, where they play more one on one, Julio has been dominant when he's healthy.
Chris Carter this morning called him the best young receiver in the NFL.
Still, it's a non-issue with me. They're both awesome and I'm just glad we have/had them.
sip

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They're probably the two best wideouts ever to wear Crimson.
One is more of a finesse route runner, one uses his physical ability to beat defenders.
The advantage I would give Julio is that he was covered up by defenses when he was at Bama.
He faced double and sometimes triple coverage most of the time.
Amari hasn't had to overcome that, primarily because we have so many weapons our opponents can't focus on him.
In other words, it's a little easier for Amari to get open than it was for Julio.
Once he hit the NFL, where they play more one on one, Julio has been dominant when he's healthy.
Chris Carter this morning called him the best young receiver in the NFL.
Still, it's a non-issue with me. They're both awesome and I'm just glad we have/had them.
sip
I'm also happy to had them both. However, the defenses are well aware of where #9 is and they've tried to double him without success. He's just a bit more elusive and separates better than Julio, on a marginal basis. That can be a two-edged sword, though. If we fall into the habit of looking there first, because of his separation ability, then, sooner or later, it's going to bite us in the rear. The ball simply must be distributed more evenly...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

I believe Julio is around 6'3" 220 lbs and Amari is 6'1" 205/210...

It's an impossible question to answer for me because they are both so dominant.

Julio was just so strong and physical. He changed things at Bama for WRs. He was humble, practiced hard, and left it all on the field. How many times did we see it take 4-5 defenders to bring him down? Too many to remember, he was incredible.

Meanwhile, Amari has all the attributes you want in a WR. Gets open, explosive, top end speed, and works very hard. While he may not break as many tackles as JJ he eludes and avoids tacklers as well as anyone. IMO his route running ability is elite and will immediately translate to the NFL.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm also happy to had them both. However, the defenses are well aware of where #9 is and they've tried to double him without success. He's just a bit more elusive and separates better than Julio, on a marginal basis. That can be a two-edged sword, though. If we fall into the habit of looking there first, because of his separation ability, then, sooner or later, it's going to bite us in the rear. The ball simply must be distributed more evenly...
Earle, I agree with that 100% and more if possible.
With our weapons at receiver we shouldn't have one receiver on pace to catch 120 passes. we should have four on pace to catch 30 apiece.
I don't know the answer, but I wish I knew the extent to wish we ask our QB to actually, "read the defense".
There was one play yesterday where Chris Black ran a flat route and looked like he was on an island by himself in the Pacific Ocean, yet Blake threw deeper to Amari, who made the catch, but he wasn't nearly as open as Chris was.
Yes, that has to change if we have a prayer to be successful.
sip

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I believe Julio is around 6'3" 220 lbs and Amari is 6'1" 205/210...

It's an impossible question to answer for me because they are both so dominant.

Julio was just so strong and physical. He changed things at Bama for WRs. He was humble, practiced hard, and left it all on the field. How many times did we see it take 4-5 defenders to bring him down? Too many to remember, he was incredible.

Meanwhile, Amari has all the attributes you want in a WR. Gets open, explosive, top end speed, and works very hard. While he may not break as many tackles as JJ he eludes and avoids tacklers as well as anyone. IMO his route running ability is elite and will immediately translate to the NFL.
I believe Julio is actually larger than that now. despite the NFL roster. Ozzie was around 6'2" and 230 when he played in the NFL. Bryant used him as a TE, but he moved to receiver quickly at the next level. I wouldn't be surprised if Julio weren't closer to Ozzie's weight. The main thing holding OJ back is blocking capability. (At TE, CNS expects you to block like an OT and receive like a WR.) When OJ's turned loose ( I hope they split him out), then you'll see the kind of mismatches with DBs that we got used to seeing when we had Julio...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, I agree with that 100% and more if possible.
With our weapons at receiver we shouldn't have one receiver on pace to catch 120 passes. we should have four on pace to catch 30 apiece.
I don't know the answer, but I wish I knew the extent to wish we ask our QB to actually, "read the defense".
There was one play yesterday where Chris Black ran a flat route and looked like he was on an island by himself in the Pacific Ocean, yet Blake threw deeper to Amari, who made the catch, but he wasn't nearly as open as Chris was.
Yes, that has to change if we have a prayer to be successful.
sip
I'm hoping that, as Blake matures and the game slows down for him, he'll scan more of the field. I think that will be what will happen, but it's in the future, which is unknown. It's interesting that Coker's first pass was, I think, to Black, even though he's not as confident at this point as BS. Part of it is that JC is accustomed to being a pro-style passer and Black wasn't that even in HS. And, we've moved him around to almost everywhere since he's been at Bama, so he really hasn't had the opportunity to develop that part of his game. Going to be an interesting season...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
this discussion reminds me of the mid 2000's NFL discussion of who was better. Randy Moss or Terrell Owens.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm hoping that, as Blake matures and the game slows down for him, he'll scan more of the field. I think that will be what will happen, but it's in the future, which is unknown. It's interesting that Coker's first pass was, I think, to Black, even though he's not as confident at this point as BS. Part of it is that JC is accustomed to being a pro-style passer and Black wasn't that even in HS. And, we've moved him around to almost everywhere since he's been at Bama, so he really hasn't had the opportunity to develop that part of his game. Going to be an interesting season...
Agreed...I'm not sure anyone, including Coach Saban really knows how great, good, average, or below, that this team will be.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
this discussion reminds me of the mid 2000's NFL discussion of who was better. Randy Moss or Terrell Owens.
Better pure receiver = Moss. Physical specimen playing WR = Owens. Same can probably be said about Amari and Julio..

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Clearly the superior athlete? I'm not so sure about that.
If I were assembling a track and field team, Julio would be my top pick between the two. He's faster. Can jump higher, faster, is stronger, etc... The one thing I think Cooper has on Julio in the athleticism department is his agility, and that's why he's able to run such good routes. He can turn on a dime.

Julio ran a 4.39 at the NFL combine on a broken foot.

ON A BROKEN FOOT.

Julio could play almost any position on the field, Cooper couldn't.

Cooper is the better WR, but Julio is the better overall athlete.

Last edited:

afadam07

1st Team
Aug 21, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Personally, I would take Julio over Cooper any day. But Cooper may end up with the better numbers. I would have liked to see Julio with Lane Kiffin calling the plays though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.