georgia loses

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
you can never count out AtM as long as Sumlin is there. his offense is pretty much a plug and play O and they have always put up big numbers. mainly because it is not that complicated. a lot of hitch routes, crossing routes and stick snag combo routes. combine that with SEC talent and you have a monster of an offense. but, I always say UGA and USC are good for one flop in the first four games anyway....
i think we had more trouble with manziel than the scheme last year. at least it seemed that way to me

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
i think we had more trouble with manziel than the scheme the last two years. at least it seemed that way to me
How many times, in both of those games, did his scrambling ability prevent a sack or result in a big play or TD? I'm certain more than once or twice....I don't think their current QB has that "escapability".

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
How many times, in both of those games, did his scrambling ability prevent a sack or result in a big play or TD? I'm certain more than once or twice....I don't think their current QB has that "escapability".
yeah, at one point, i just threw my hands up and grabbed a beer. also, yeldon doesn't put the ball on the ground, the score is not even remotely close.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
As long as der Richter stays in Athens, the dawgs will always be...dogs. Period.
As long as Spurt is in SC, they will continually choke, and they are not that good this year (maybe not as bad as the A&M game, but they will lose at least once, maybe twice more).
Personally I'd be surprised if Mizzou doesn't repeat in the East.
"Spurt" has his team playing above themselves. Look at their recruiting rankings 2010 #24 2011 #18 2012 #19 2013 #16 2014 #16. So losing to a team with more talent is not usually considered choking. What he has done at a perennial 6-7 team is amazing. Remember Lou Holtz managed to go 0-11 there. The last 3 years the guy went 11-2. That should never happen at SC. I think they will come back to earth this year although 8-4.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
"Spurt" has his team playing above themselves. Look at their recruiting rankings 2010 #24 2011 #18 2012 #19 2013 #16 2014 #16. So losing to a team with more talent is not usually considered choking. What he has done at a perennial 6-7 team is amazing. Remember Lou Holtz managed to go 0-11 there. The last 3 years the guy went 11-2. That should never happen at SC. I think they will come back to earth this year although 8-4.
the old ball coach is pretty good at what he does, especially against jawjuh

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the USCe vs Mizzou game could probably decide the East because I see another two loses in Georgia and I dont think Mizzou loses more than 2 games out of (Florida, Georgia, aTm, and Rocky Slop)

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I think the USCe vs Mizzou game could probably decide the East because I see another two loses in Georgia and I dont think Mizzou loses more than 2 games out of (Florida, Georgia, aTm, and Rocky Slop)
Mizzou very well could repeat in the SECE. I see USC being very up and down this year, probably an upset win and an upset loss in the works. Don't see them losing to Vandy, but at KY could be a trap game. For whatever reason auburn has always given Spurrier fits, will be tough to win there. Don't be surprised to see USC beat Mizzou at home then lose to auburn and either KY or UF on the road.

SECW has probably widened the gap this year, Bama, auburn, LSU, and TAM would all be frontrunners in SECE right now as all 4 appear to be playing better than UGA, USC, and Mizzou.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Mizzou very well could repeat in the SECE. I see USC being very up and down this year, probably an upset win and an upset loss in the works. Don't see them losing to Vandy, but at KY could be a trap game. For whatever reason auburn has always given Spurrier fits, will be tough to win there. Don't be surprised to see USC beat Mizzou at home then lose to auburn and either KY or UF on the road.

SECW has probably widened the gap this year, Bama, auburn, LSU, and TAM would all be frontrunners in SECE right now as all 4 appear to be playing better than UGA, USC, and Mizzou.
I think USCe is probably still out even if they beat Mizzou, but it is the game that probably decides it because Florida has to most likely win both Bama and Lsu games to stay in the race because i dont see them beating 2 of the 3 (mizzou,Uga,and USCe) in the east. UGA is just UGA so they will have to get the biggest cushion they can from outside help to stay in the race before they are five yards short or five seconds too late in a conference game. Mizzou probably has the best Qb in the SEC and possibly and by far the 2nd best coach in the SEC east so if they win against the Head ball coach they probably will be getting the nail deeper in the coffin with a bye week before their home stance with UGA.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
SC is actually a good team. EC is a good team, when SC won that game I knew they would be ok. I really think the SC coaches and players were reading the press clippings on how bad A&M would suck with out JM.
I think that is true to a point, but TAM also presents matchup issues at the areas USC is weakest at on defense, CB and DE. UGA's offensive strength played into USC's defenseive strengths, its LBs and DTs. USC having enough trouble at DE that on several running downs Saturday they used 4 DTs on the line, which is a huge contrast from the past 2 years where DE was a strength and they would use 4 DEs on passing downs. It's odd that things can change that much in one year.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I wonder if the league will do anything about that headbutt? They should suspend him for a week
Yeah I am still trying to figure out how Gurley headbutts one guy, shoves another in the face, and Carolina gets a 15yd penalty.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This is what I meant about Spurt "continually" choking - he has already done it with more talent than he has this year. On can argue that his last few years have been much better than his previous (his first six were slightly better than Granny's six)- the only time they have won the East they had 5 losses, and 3 in the SEC. That just shows a weak division, and the three 11 win seasons they have had they have lost games they had to win to win the division - THAT is what I mean by continually choking, because the east has not been the stronger of the two SEC divisions during that time span. I know, it's who they play in the west, yadayadayada, but that only works for 2011 where they lost to the barn and the hogs - the other two years they lost either one or both games to eastern teams (and one of them was to the sloppy toppers, who we all know have had an outstanding program these last few years :rolleye2:).
I stick by what I said in my previous post until Spurt or der Richter can prove me wrong, and it looks like it might be another year before that can even possibly happen. But, hey, barn beat Bama and the dawgs last year on last second/minute miracles, so anything is possible. This is JMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Carolina should beat Mizzou in Columbia, but IMO cannot beat auburn on the road.
I don't know if Dillon Thompson can out duel matty mauk. I still think mauk is one of the top 2 best qb in the SEC with Kenny hill. USCe defense can't stop a passing game to save their life and mizzous defense is a bend don't break defense. But it will be a great game.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I don't know if Dillon Thompson can out duel matty mauk. I still think mauk is one of the top 2 best qb in the SEC with Kenny hill. USCe defense can't stop a passing game to save their life and mizzous defense is a bend don't break defense. But it will be a great game.
I actually think they are very comparable qbs. Neither really stands out above the other. Mizzou has looked good, but against inferior talent. USC has been up and down, but it has been against much better competition (all 3 opponents currently ranked). Mizzou clearly has the better D, USC the better running game. I expect a close one.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I actually think they are very comparable qbs. Neither really stands out above the other. Mizzou has looked good, but against inferior talent. USC has been up and down, but it has been against much better competition (all 3 opponents currently ranked). Mizzou clearly has the better D, USC the better running game. I expect a close one.
we'll see,but the game last year was against two qbs that werent starters. Matty outplayed thompson, and it wasnt til conner shaw came in where the game changed. The biggest difference in the two is that Matty seems more dangerous. I think its going to be a 42-38 type game going either way, but I just find it funny no one gives Mizzou any credit for just winning and having a great coach. If you need to proof go back and look at a lot of peoples predictions preseason and see how many of them picked them to lose to Toledo and UCF. Bottom line the Columbian War could decide the East early

Last edited:

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
we'll see,but the game last year was against two qbs that werent starters. Matty outplayed thompson, and it wasnt til conner shaw came in where the game changed. The biggest difference in the two is that Matty seems more dangerous. I think its going to be a 42-38 type game going either way, but I just find it funny no one gives Mizzou any credit for just winning and having a great coach. If you need to proof go back and look at a lot of peoples predictions preseason and see how many of them picked them to lose to Toledo and UCF. Bottom line the Columbian War could decide the East early
Actually neither was overly impressive in that game. Thompson was 15-27 for 222 yds and 0 TDs while Mauk was 10-25 for 249 yds and 1 TD…but it is worth noting that 96 of Mauk’s yards came on one long pass that should have been picked off or knocked down were it not for the defenders running into each other. Outside of that one fluke play he was 9-24 for 153 yards, and was pretty bad in the 2nd half and overtime where he only completed 4 total passes in the two final quarters and the two overtime periods combined, and one of those was a meaningless screen pass on the last play of regulation.

Mauk is a talented qb and may be better than Thompson, but the SC game last year was not one of his better performances.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.