georgia loses

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Actually neither was overly impressive in that game. Thompson was 15-27 for 222 yds and 0 TDs while Mauk was 10-25 for 249 yds and 1 TD…but it is worth noting that 96 of Mauk’s yards came on one long pass that should have been picked off or knocked down were it not for the defenders running into each other. Outside of that one fluke play he was 9-24 for 153 yards, and was pretty bad in the 2nd half and overtime where he only completed 4 total passes in the two final quarters and the two overtime periods combined, and one of those was a meaningless screen pass on the last play of regulation.

Mauk is a talented qb and may be better than Thompson, but the SC game last year was not one of his better performances.
fair point, but the fact that spurrier had to bring out conner shaw to beat a true freshman qb probably gives matty more confidence in round 2 if it turns into a shootout. Watching Matty this year from last year is night and day difference. Dillion has been up and down and about the same as last year, but I think it can be said that USCe and mizzou are probably the two best teams in the east and both have aTm on the schedule.

IDK if Mizzou will win the east or if they will beat USCe, but I think people will be way off on their predictions if Matty stays healthy because even though he is playing against weaker competition he just seems more confident and in tune with his offense more than most teams

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
fair point, but the fact that spurrier had to bring out conner shaw to beat a true freshman qb probably gives matty more confidence in round 2 if it turns into a shootout. Watching Matty this year from last year is night and day difference. Dillion has been up and down and about the same as last year, but I think it can be said that USCe and mizzou are probably the two best teams in the east and both have aTm on the schedule.

IDK if Mizzou will win the east or if they will beat USCe, but I think people will be way off on their predictions if Matty stays healthy because even though he is playing against weaker competition he just seems more confident and in tune with his offense more than most teams
I haven't watched Mauk play this season so cannot comment. Thompson is inconsistent. He does have great performances against 3 ranked teams in his career (clemson and Michigan in 2012 and UGA in 2014). Against Mizzou last year he wasn't playing badly, but he did not have command of the team or the game.

I like Mizzou and Franklin and will pull for them ouside of the USC game (unless they meet Bama in SECCG). They do have a tough stretch coming up so Mauk will get to prove himself. After Indiana this week they are at USC, Open Date, UGA, then at Florida. They also close the season at TAM, at Tennessee, and Arkansas at home. Even with SECE down that is two tough stretches.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I haven't watched Mauk play this season so cannot comment. Thompson is inconsistent. He does have great performances against 3 ranked teams in his career (clemson and Michigan in 2012 and UGA in 2014). Against Mizzou last year he wasn't playing badly, but he did not have command of the team or the game.

I like Mizzou and Franklin and will pull for them ouside of the USC game (unless they meet Bama in SECCG). They do have a tough stretch coming up so Mauk will get to prove himself. After Indiana this week they are at USC, Open Date, UGA, then at Florida. They also close the season at TAM, at Tennessee, and Arkansas at home. Even with SECE down that is two tough stretches.
Im not really saying Mizzou wins the east, but more or less saying that the game in two weeks sets up one of the biggest games of the year.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Agree. The SECE is down with no clear-cut leader. It is wide open right now, other than I doubt Vandy makes a run at the title.
Agree and we will find out this weekend if UF is a pretender or a contender. Carolina would have the tie breaker over UGA, but IMO both lose to auburn so they need to take care of business with other conference teams.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Agree and we will find out this weekend if UF is a pretender or a contender. Carolina would have the tie breaker over UGA, but IMO both lose to auburn so they need to take care of business with other conference teams.
I'll take that bet on the dawgs - they won't lose this year.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
UGA better fix its defense if it wants to win out rest of SEC schedule. It's played 8 qtrs of football, & 6 of them have been bad defensively. Can't win in the SEC playing poor D 75% of the time.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
UGA better fix its defense if it wants to win out rest of SEC schedule. It's played 8 qtrs of football, & 6 of them have been bad defensively. Can't win in the SEC playing poor D 75% of the time.
in the ajc yesterday, pruitt said that will never happen again. must be something in the water in athens

Last edited:

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
in the arc yesterday, pruitt said that will never happen again. must be something in the water in athens
Evidently when Pruitt was at Bama in 2010 Spurrier and his staff noticed on game film that he liked to cheat his DBs to the outside to better cover wideouts, leaving the middle wide open to the TE. Spurrier and USC used this to beat Bama. Evidently in UGA's first game against clemson some of the same tendencies were observed. USC killed UGA over the middle in first half. Spurrier also noticed that UGA fully shifted when one side was overloaded with wideouts (unbalanced look), and that the shift took place regardless of which side the offense overloaded. In second half on several plays, including USC's last TD, Spurrier overloaded to the right (USC's weak side of the OL) and then ran to the left (strong side of OL). It left USC's best 2 linemen blocking man-on-man with UGA defenders.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Evidently when Pruitt was at Bama in 2010 Spurrier and his staff noticed on game film that he liked to cheat his DBs to the outside to better cover wideouts, leaving the middle wide open to the TE. Spurrier and USC used this to beat Bama. Evidently in UGA's first game against clemson some of the same tendencies were observed. USC killed UGA over the middle in first half. Spurrier also noticed that UGA fully shifted when one side was overloaded with wideouts (unbalanced look), and that the shift took place regardless of which side the offense overloaded. In second half on several plays, including USC's last TD, Spurrier overloaded to the right (USC's weak side of the OL) and then ran to the left (strong side of OL). It left USC's best 2 linemen blocking man-on-man with UGA defenders.
i wonder if that's why he was laughing as he came off the field ;)

the man does know how to coach offense

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.