****Bama vs. USM - Postgame Thread****

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Thank you for this post Audio. I am amazed at some in our fanbase and the pessimistic negativity that comes across. RTR91 has been saying it correctly in that we can not judge our defenses against past defenses since we live in a different offensive world and number of yards or plays they give up. Our defense has not given up a TD in 9 qtrs and only given up 1 TD in 3 games, giving up 12 pts/game. There are over 120 D1 teams that would pay for this type defense. Many of you need to start looking at it from this prespective.
I am amazed at the negativity. I watched the game again this afternoon...and we were much better than I thought. I can remember past teams not even showing up for games like this. We are young, talented and growing.

My one concern is that Trey Depriest is not fast enough to cover a TE for any distance. UF and others will try to exploit that. How will we counter?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I am amazed at the negativity. I watched the game again this afternoon...and we were much better than I thought. I can remember past teams not even showing up for games like this. We are young, talented and growing.

My one concern is that Trey Depriest is not fast enough to cover a TE for any distance. UF and others will try to exploit that. How will we counter?
Young and growing. I don't think some realize how young we are on defense. Trey is out their to be qb. The reason you see the gaps in the middle is inexperience at LB. The DL has a group of youngsters that are good now and only getting better. Evans and Anderson are going to be featured in the nightmares of QBs in the near future.

Then we say the offense is sputtering and we better not fall behind????

They put up 500 yards of offense on avg and have scored 33 first game, 41 in game two and then 52. Y'all have fun on the ledge. Good grief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
Young and growing. I don't think some realize how young we are on defense. Trey is out their to be qb. The reason you see the gaps in the middle is inexperience at LB. The DL has a group of youngsters that are good now and only getting better. Evans and Anderson are going to be featured in the nightmares of QBs in the near future.

Then we say the offense is sputtering and we better not fall behind????

They put up 500 yards of offense on avg and have scored 33 first game, 41 in game two and then 52. Y'all have fun on the ledge. Good grief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree with you I have been pleasantly surprised by our team. I thought there would be more growing pains for this team especially on offense getting used to new offensive coordinator and qb.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Our pass rush is ahead of our coverage at this point. If we can close the gap there we should fare well against the likes of aTm and such. The poor tackling is baffling though.

The physical/talent matchup with UF will be very interesting to see. Throw schemes out the window, I want to find out if we can run the ball at will, if not consistently, against their front. I say this because our OL has been solid thus far IMO.

And maybe, just maybe, we are waiting on teams to over commit to stopping AC and then we pop them with 5-6 big gainers to OJ.

pbearbryant

Scout Team
Nov 2, 2007
I am very excited at this point in the season. As was mentioned our Defense is going to get better and better as the season goes on. Our offense is as good as I have ever seen it. We are loaded at every position and kiffin is doing a great job of getting the ball to them in space. I was a little worried about the qb situation however Blake has done an outstanding job and I really like having a qb who can make plays with his feet when the play breaks down.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
My two concerns : o line has yet to go up against a physical SEC defense and have we had a DB break up a pass yet?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
After a day of making my usual rounds to othe Bama Football forums to see what Tide Fans have to say about our win..I must say I am shocked at the "Doom & Gloom" by Bama Fans, was we perfect, of course we wasn't, but, I don't share the same bad feeling a lot of fans are sayin after this win against S Miss..After visting other sites..You would've thought Bama lost the game & we're going to lose 4-5 games this season..I don't know if folks has no faith that Blake can lead us to a NC this season or they feel that Coker should be our starter at QB, whatever it is, I've never seen Bama Fans act like they have after winning a game & after winning our 1st 3 games in a dominating way that they have..

I honestly feel that Blake is more than capable of leading our team to another NC Title run & our offense will only get better as the season goes on..My only complaint is that our offense shied away from running the HUNH style of offense the 1st couple of games, cause I honestly thought Blake was more comfortable running our offense playing faster, and I thought Coach Kiffin called better games when he had to make quick decisions on which plays to call when we went into "Hurry Up" mode..When we slowed our offense down it seemed to complicate things on offense & that was our communication problems against S Miss..I thought our D looked pretty dadgum good & they will only get better as the season goes on as well..I do have faith in Coach Saban, our Coaching Staff, and especially in our Boys to give us another NC Title run this season..

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
After a day of making my usual rounds to othe Bama Football forums to see what Tide Fans have to say about our win..I must say I am shocked at the "Doom & Gloom" by Bama Fans, was we perfect, of course we wasn't, but, I don't share the same bad feeling a lot of fans are sayin after this win against S Miss..After visting other sites..You would've thought Bama lost the game & we're going to lose 4-5 games this season..I don't know if folks has no faith that Blake can lead us to a NC this season or they feel that Coker should be our starter at QB, whatever it is, I've never seen Bama Fans act like they have after winning a game & after winning our 1st 3 games in a dominating way that they have..

I honestly feel that Blake is more than capable of leading our team to another NC Title run & our offense will only get better as the season goes on..My only complaint is that our offense shied away from running the HUNH style of offense the 1st couple of games, cause I honestly thought Blake was more comfortable running our offense playing faster, and I thought Coach Kiffin called better games when he had to make quick decisions on which plays to call when we went into "Hurry Up" mode..When we slowed our offense down it seemed to complicate things on offense & that was our communication problems against S Miss..I thought our D looked pretty dadgum good & they will only get better as the season goes on as well..I do have faith in Coach Saban, our Coaching Staff, and especially in our Boys to give us another NC Title run this season..
I'm with ya Tideman! RTR!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As long was what we're complaining about is WINS, I don't really care.

We have some potential problem spots. We also have (to quote CNS) "areas we need to improve."

But the last time I looked, CNS had won four national titles and I hadn't won any so he obviously can adjust as need be.

Some of you need to accept that 2011 is NOT the "new normal" around here but was the greatest college defense ever assembled.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Our defense has dramatically changed to meet the challenges of fast paced teams if you're paying attention. Our defense has almost completely moved away from a space eating 2 gap DL and have went with a more penetrating 1 gap scheme. Devall and Dickson has basically used as a hybrid DE most of the time this year. This is why our pass rush has been much better, and its why we haven't seen Brandon Ivory near as much. Against LSU and Arky will probably see those guys much more, but in the first 3 games of this year, we've basically been a 4-3 schemed defense year (4-2-5 most of the time). This is the base package that will be used against TAMU, OM, AU. It is designed to cover the players in space that these spread offenses present, while doing a better job of not getting gashed on the ground like our odd man front has had trouble with against the HUNH.

The Money package (dime) has also been tweaked at times this year. This package has normally employs 6 DB's and 1 LB, but Reggie Ragland has played that six spot in the "money" position at times. Jones and Jackson are playing the corners, Collins and Perry are playing the safety spots, and Geno Smith plays the "Star" position. TDP is lone player actually playing a traditional LB position, because whoever is playing the "Jack" in that alignment is basically playing as a 1 gap DE. I noticed this several times last night and it was done some in the FAU game. I can only guess that it also a more physical way to play Dime. In this particular lineup, Ragland is basically a hybrid safety, and I can see a lot of the athletic, rangy LB's we've recently signed to play these positions going forward.

I think a lot of the confusion we are seeing on defense is because CNS IS doing what people say he is too stubborn to do. We are adapting on defense and you have to expect some growing pains while doing that.
There is lots of good info on this site. This ^^ is among the best I have read in ten years on .
Thanks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.