****Bama vs. USM - Postgame Thread****

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We had 4 guys rush for at least 50 yards. Blake was 4 yards short of joining them. Altee was 11 short.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Kiffin is known to be stubborn with his playcalling....
I really did not understand the play-calling after Coker took it down to the 6" line. It looked like we were trying to prove that we could put it in, no matter how many they stacked in front. Coker could have faked the hand-off to Jones and walked in...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
My observations for what it is worth.

1) We really miss Sunseri calling the back end of the defense. We are still struggling to line up correctly against the HUNH. If I can see it, I am certain the the other team sees it.
2) Blake is clearly the guy at QB. He is playing with confidence. We can't afford to get behind much though. If we get behind, I don't think we are explosive enough to come back. He can't fall in love with one receiver either. Other teams will take advantage if we stare down receivers.
3) I came home,opened the fridge and I saw OJ Howards face on a milk carton. Not sure what the deal is with him. Maybe we need to keep him in to block, but I would think he is a match up nightmare to every LB in the league. Hopefully we are just trying to not give accurate tendencies for teams to scout.

I think we'll have not come close to peaking yet. We are going to get better every week. The SEC is really wide open right now and the west seems to be the stronger division.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Maybe it's lack of experience with their assignments, but we looked awfully slow to me. Eddie was open a dozen times and never got a look until Jake threw to him. We continue to tackle poorly which will bite us at some point in time. As Confucius said, "we won and that is all that matters".
I was just kidding about what the chinese guy said.;)

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Sims has pretty much earned the start, however, Coker has gotten better.
Now I'm not as worried about our Offense as I was.
My only concern is a small one... We need to distribute the passes to all our receivers a little better.
I know that Cooper is an amazing receiver, but I'm afraid the deeper we get in our SEC schedule,
the more Coop will be double teamed.

N E X T

Our Defense seemed to regress this week. Too often our 2nd or third guys made the tackle.
IMO: We need to work on tackling.

We are still weak on pass defense. Still kinda weak on run defense too.
AND... This is the easy part of our schedule.

I'm somewhat concerned that we haven't had anyone in a position to make a pass interception.
We have not put a lot of pressure on the offenses quarterbacks. Given my choice, they would
be running for their lives every time they have the ball.

Last edited:

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
We are starting to get shy in safety. Jarrick still out. Nick will miss the first half. Jabriel Washington may be in the right spot, but he hasn't proved that he can make the tackle. Maurice Smith looked good at Star. Wonder if we'll see Bradly Sylve play some money or nickel.
I really like Sylve, but I think he should have stayed at WR.
I'm really getting frustrated with Leon Brown. Numerous times he missed blocks. Why isn't Alphonse Taylor playing. We seem to score when Taylor is in.
Our 2nd string line run blocked better than our 1st team.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Seems to me all Sims can do is one thing: beat you.

He seems as effective passsing as Greg McElroy was after 3 games. And can run like a good tailback. Why should I be unhappy about this again?

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Love a TD pass to a TE. Wasn't OJ though. Later I watched Kiffen have a long conference with OJ and the QB with the ball near the goal line and I told my wife, "Oh look, we will pass to Howard for a TD!". QB rolled right and wanted OJ but he was covered like a blanket.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Watched more of KY v FL during our second half. Perry was tossed, but who is the safety people are talking about that is injured?

Did Eddie Jackson play much in the second half?
All seems minor at the moment and not likely to keep them out next Saturday...

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Watched more of KY v FL during our second half. Perry was tossed, but who is the safety people are talking about that is injured?

Did Eddie Jackson play much in the second half?
According to Coach:

"Eddie Jackson bruised his quad; I don’t think it’s anything serious. T.J. Yeldon strained his hamstring a little bit; I don’t think it’s anything serious. Denzel Devall strained his shoulder; I don’t think it’s anything serious. We just chose to not play the guys anymore in this particular game. It gives other people an opportunity to play. Why put the guys at risk when you’re getting ready to head into league play starting next week? DeAndrew White did participate in pre-game warm-ups. I wanted him to work out today in pads, which he has been doing for several days this week. We are hopeful that we will get him back next week."

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I realize the game was over and we were running out the clock, but it looked to me that the offense was more in sync with almost no confusion when Alec Morris was the QB.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Seems to me all Sims can do is one thing: beat you.

He seems as effective passsing as Greg McElroy was after 3 games. And can run like a good tailback. Why should I be unhappy about this again?
Agreed. I love, love, love his scrambling. His passing has been quite a bit better than I expected, too.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not sure what's causing the confusion on getting the play called and the ball snapped on time but it is still a problem. Players looking around seemingly still not knowing what the play is with 10 seconds left on the play clock isn't a good sign.

Staff confirmed who the starter was when Coker doesn't come in until the game is well in hand. He looked good on some throws but the most glaring thing to me is his body language. He just does't look like he has much confidence in himself. Brock Huard said this was one of the things that has hampered him since that second scrimmage that Blake took command of the starting role. But you can just look at the kid and tell he's not very confident in what he's doing.

I don't know what is going on with the defense. Both from a schematic standpoint and player performance. The play where the quarterback fakes to the rb, pulls it quickly and throws to the receiver running the seam close to the middle of the field is always wide open, ALWAYS!!!. USM had that play all night long if they wanted it. Thank goodness they couldn't execute.

Also, tackling is bad. Just plain bad.

The read option made an appearance tonight and lookie what it did. We didn't have to overhaul the offense, it can be done and I hope to see it more often. Blake's legs is going to have to compensate for his lack of down field passing. But it can be done. The over flow of this game was just sluggish. There was no good flow to it at all seemingly all night.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
SIAP, couple of interesting notes:
- Alabama's 52-12 win over Southern Miss was its FBS-high 16th win by 40 points or more over the last 5 seasons.
- Amari Cooper has his fifth straight 100-yard receiving game, longest active streak in the FBS.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.