How would you grade Kiffin thus far?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
I will say this. If you all look at 2009 (McElroy's first year) and 2011 (McCarron's first year), the offense struggled at first because we were breaking in a new quarterback. During both of those years, we won a championship. If you make up for it in other areas, we can work through that. So far Kiffin is looking good. But as other people said, his grade is would be an "Incomplete".

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I will say this. If you all look at 2009 (McElroy's first year) and 2011 (McCarron's first year), the offense struggled at first because we were breaking in a new quarterback. During both of those years, we won a championship. If you make up for it in other areas, we can work through that. So far Kiffin is looking good. But as other people said, his grade is would be an "Incomplete".
I'll do one better. Remember this time LAST year we were not an offensive machine. We ran for 90 something and passed for 110 against Va. Tech with a 3rd year stater at qb. I think we are going to be OK.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
per new conference recently, Saban said that on the play where Coker was sacked, the play were called wrong. That was one of the discussion we saw between Kiffin and Saban on that play.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
per new conference recently, Saban said that on the play where Coker was sacked, the play were called wrong. That was one of the discussion we saw between Kiffin and Saban on that play.
He didn't specify which Coker sack was called wrong.

Saban: "Most sacks we've had come at the end of the game when Jake (Coker) is in. One if those plays was called wrong."

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'd give Kiffin an A if the screw ups are on his part and A+ if they are on the QB's part. Either way I say he has more than earned his pay at this point and the playcalling has been great even though it seems the whole play book is not there yet. I just hope his great calls continue against the good teams.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Let me ask you this. How many sack did we have at end of the game? and who was it that allowed it to happen? It was one of the play he didn't throw the ball away.
He didn't specify which Coker sack was called wrong.

Saban: "Most sacks we've had come at the end of the game when Jake (Coker) is in. One if those plays was called wrong."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Let me ask you this. How many sack did we have at end of the game? and who was it that allowed it to happen? It was one of the play he didn't throw the ball away.
Alabama gave up one sack on Saturday, but Saban said "most sacks we've had come at the end of the game... One of those plays was called wrong."

I'm not sure how the bootleg could have been called wrong unless a guy didn't run the proper route.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
A couple of things to consider.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember it being mentioned in 2 of the 3 game broadcasts so far, that Kiffin has changed terminology. If that's true, then the offense, and obviously the QBs are getting some on-the-job-training right now. And they are both being handled differently, I assume not so much on their grasp of the playbook, but in how quickly they can process the call and disseminate to their teammates. Therefore, we have seen that when Sims is in the game, they line up without huddling, and simultaneously he gets the call and is scanning the defense, and it is sometimes a struggle to get it all done before the play clock strikes zero. But once the play is run, execution has been great thus far through three games. He also performance excellently when they are running those first few plays of the game of 2nd half, by script. When Coker is in the game, he trots over to Kiffin to get the call directly in his ear, trots back over to a huddle, and then they run the play. Again, once the play is run, there has been more issues with Coker in execution as a team, including in his decision-making (when to get rid of the ball, etc). To me, the positive is that this will only improve with time, as they have both shown that they are more than capable. Things will start to click, with one or both. I'm looking forward to seeing Sims getting that play out quicker, and Coker hitting on more of those long throws.

Coincidentally, when DePriest, the defense QB, is not in the game, we have the same issues. In both cases, inexperience and/or youth needs to be overcome. Not everyone comes in like gangbusters, doing everything right, I've heard Coach Saban use the word 'develop' quite a lot through spring and so far this fall, and that's what these guys need to do. Sims/Coker are no McCarron between the ears, in experience, in instincts, etc yet, and that's OK. DePriest is no Mosley (he's not TOO far off), and that's OK. We can and will still win with these guys.

Why? We have the best head coach in all of college football. And we have quite possibly the best coordinator tandem in college football. We'll be OK.
I think the reason we are seeing this is likely because the terminology system we had in place was not effective or diverse enough to call the plays in a no huddle package. Sure there is a limited set of check plays that can be called from the line but by no means can your entire game plan be called from the line. I think it's entirely possible that when Kiffin came in to do his review that was a critique of his. That's why you all these HUNH offense using bilboards. CNS terminology system wasn't conducive for running no huddle. Hence the reason we have all this confusion on play calls imo.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Sacks we had were by Coker and I think we have two or three this year. I stand corrected. The one Saban were speaking of were the one against FAU. I think both of the sacks were the result of wrong plays called.. but you're right.
Alabama gave up one sack on Saturday, but Saban said "most sacks we've had come at the end of the game... One of those plays was called wrong."

I'm not sure how the bootleg could have been called wrong unless a guy didn't run the proper route.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I think the reason we are seeing this is likely because the terminology system we had in place was not effective or diverse enough to call the plays in a no huddle package. Sure there is a limited set of check plays that can be called from the line but by no means can your entire game plan be called from the line. I think it's entirely possible that when Kiffin came in to do his review that was a critique of his. That's why you all these HUNH offense using bilboards. CNS terminology system wasn't conducive for running no huddle. Hence the reason we have all this confusion on play calls imo.
makes sense to me

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Bama fans, talking heads, and especially rival fans (Barners) are trying to read CNS's level of happiness with CLK from his facial expressions I think it's a exercise in futility.

CNS has admitted that he IS NOT laid back so his facial expressions, antics, verbal explosions, etc. will be a part of every thing he does...shoot...some of his biggest rants come in games when we are blowing somebody out.

I heard the tail-end of a Finebaum caller today who predicted that CNS is about to "burn out" and Bama is about to self-destruct. He was probably a barner and just having wishful thinking, but the rival fans are looking for any evidence that CNS is unhappy and about to hang it up. This guy backed up his rant by saying "you can see it on CNS's face."

That look on CNS's face is what's behind his next championship!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Tide-HSV, One thing we do have to remember is that, I would expect the playbook to open up a little against FLorida, but definitely look for Howard/ Yeldon /Henry to be let loose against FSU. Only thing I'm concerned about Kiffin and his playcalling is that almost all throws were targeted at Cooper, and I don' tknow if it was done on purpose to fool Florida, or Cooper is too talented to stay covered, or... I don't know...

I don't know if anyone noticed this or not, We didn't throw so many screen/bubble passes in this game.... and It's not a bad thing, I just think He's doing good job of doing that. We just have to do better of getting the plays out quicker... I just don't know if Kiffin looks at defense, and then gives out the play and they usualy snap the ball with 8 seconds or less... We need to be snapping the ball within 10 seconds left. This is why I don't think We will ever hear Saban naming the QBs for a while because of Kiffin constantly switching up. Both Qbs did well in the game so that tells me we'll be fine under Kiffin. Now, if we had Nuss another year... Oh boy....
I think it is more of Cooper is too talented to stay covered for very long.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I was a Kiffin hater, but I knew he was a good Offensive coach. I was kind of shocked when he came to Alabama. Coach Saban seemingly made a deal with the Devil... Now he's our guy. Doing a fantastic job.

Lane brings a better Offense to Alabama, and learns from Coach Saban, how to really be a great head coach.

I like the fact that Lane isn't as predictable as NUSS.

I hope Coach Saban and Coach Kiffin develop a great chemistry.
(They compliment each other)

If CLK can stick it out a couple of years, part of the 'Tarnish' will be gone from his image.
(Everywhere except Tennessee) ;)

A couple of years putting great Offenses on the field, and people will again want to hire him as Head Coach, at a big program. A couple of years of maturity under his belt with take off some of his former rough edges...
I'm a big fan now of the Alabama Offensive Coordinator Lane Kiffin...
Hope he continues to impress.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Tide-HSV, One thing we do have to remember is that, I would expect the playbook to open up a little against FLorida, but definitely look for Howard/ Yeldon /Henry to be let loose against FSU. Only thing I'm concerned about Kiffin and his playcalling is that almost all throws were targeted at Cooper, and I don' tknow if it was done on purpose to fool Florida, or Cooper is too talented to stay covered, or... I don't know...

I don't know if anyone noticed this or not, We didn't throw so many screen/bubble passes in this game.... and It's not a bad thing, I just think He's doing good job of doing that. We just have to do better of getting the plays out quicker... I just don't know if Kiffin looks at defense, and then gives out the play and they usualy snap the ball with 8 seconds or less... We need to be snapping the ball within 10 seconds left. This is why I don't think We will ever hear Saban naming the QBs for a while because of Kiffin constantly switching up. Both Qbs did well in the game so that tells me we'll be fine under Kiffin. Now, if we had Nuss another year... Oh boy....
I'm not sure what remark this was in reply to, but I don't think that Kiffin is only calling passes to Cooper. Cooper is just more adept at getting open and BS has gotten comfortable looking for #9 first. So far, he's really not had to do much looking elsewhere. Moving into league play, we will be seeing DBs good enough to double and triple AC and force us to prove we have more weapons. As I said in another thread, the first pass Jake threw did not go to Coop. When you have a guy like Coop who can get open almost at will, I'm afraid I'd start looking for him first also. One of the tasks Blake has to is to show that he can get the ball to someone else. At any rate, I don't think the unequal distribution is because CLK is only calling passes to Cooper...

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
Yeah I think Amari is probably option number 1 on most pass plays and if your All American wide receiver is open then you pass it. No need going to option 2 or 3 when option 1 is open and catches everything. Once the SEC defense start trying to take away Amari is when we need to see Blake get the ball to the other guys more. This is going to be fun to watch!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year's schedule is custom made for a new OC and new quarterback. Without checking the stats for each of the previous three OCs, my impression is that we have generally opened the season under Saban with a big game early on. Kiffin hasn't had to deal with planning for a real test to start the season, but has had the luxury of three cupcakes up front.

Comparing OC stats later in the season will offer a little more insight as far as rating the OCs under Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.