How does the secondary cope against Florida

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The things that make me think we will have a tough game:

We are thin in the secondary right now and the unit hasn't exactly been stellar to date.

Florida's secondary got torched but the yardage came off deep passes. I don't think that plays to the strength of our passing game as shown thus far.

We can't dismiss the idea that Kentucky was the classic look ahead landmine game in advance of an Alabama matchup they've been preparing for since the Summer.

Florida has a much more physical run game than people realize. They're going to test our revamped middle of the defense.

I believe we should be favored and like our chances at home but this isn't going to be an easy game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree. Florida has lot of issues on Offense/Defense and I think we're too well coached to let a big game slips up. I think it'll be rough first half, but you know what? It's not so bad.. more rep for Hootie Jones.
We will win something like 30-17 or maybe a little closer but Florida has way more problems than we do

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Florida indeed has some issues.....here's some of mine:

1. Stupid, bone headed penalties still happening
2. Driskel is still inconsistent
3. Secondary was clueless at times....gave up 350+ passing yards
4. Pressure on the QB from the D-line was hit or miss.
5. The "up tempo" offense was NOT up tempo at all. The game clock consistently went to single digits.
6. FG kicker is STILL not fully reliable

But the good news is:

1. WR Demarcus Robinson was on fire
2. RB Matt Jones looked like a beast
3. RB Kelvin Taylor is still taking after his dad
4. P Kyle Christy is back in 2012 form
5. Even though we lost TE Jake McGee last week..both TE Burton and TE Westbrook did very well last night

Driskel has to get better in game situations - improve his touch on those long passes.

I would not bet against Bama next week - it's their game to lose at this point.
Having that punter in fine form will be good for y'all next week :). I predict he'll have a lot of chances.

Seriously though, if the secondary plays like that against Bama Coop will go for 200+.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
It appeared that the clock hit zero before the ball was snapped. At least that's what the announcers (and myself) felt happened.
We like you Bazza, but I don't think anybody saw it that way except UF fans. :)
I know, guys.

Without a review of the play it's hard to say for certain - I was watching very closely and thought the center got the ball in motion just before the play clock hit zero. It certainly was too close for my liking.

In any event - it wouldn't have ended the game - just a 5 yard penalty.

That spearing in Taylor's back on the other hand - there's no doubt that it happened - and had much more dire potential. That was my point, FWIW.
OK - last post from me on this - SEC office has reviewed this play and ruled there was NO violation of the play clock.

At the request of the University of Kentucky, consistent with SEC protocol, the conference office reviewed the fourth down play in the first overtime of the Kentucky-Florida game and has determined the officials applied the proper mechanics and guidelines that are in place to determine when a flag should be thrown for delay of game,” the statement read. “The back judge is responsible for delay of game calls. The procedure for the back judge is for his eyes to stay on the clock when it nears zero. When the clock hits zero, he immediately looks from the clock to the ball. If the ball is moving, there is no delay of game. If the ball is stationary, a delay of game penalty is called.
It WAS extremely close and I don't blame anyone for believing there was a violation.

PS - of course we're still cheaters who didn't deserve to win the game and Kentucky got hosed...;)

chalkpit

Suspended
May 31, 2012
I have 2 things to say with this game. 1. Looking at Gary's scarrrrrrry new face again is going to be harder than last weekend. 2.The subs filling in at the cb/s position may never come out again for 3 more years.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
this may be of use:

WIDE RECEIVER
Quinton Dunbar could have a big senior season in Florida's new offense.

The starters: Senior Quinton Dunbar, sophomore Demarcus Robinson and junior Latroy Pittman

The backups: Sophomore Ahmad Fulwood, sophomore Chris Thompson and junior Valdez Showers

The rest: Senior Andre Debose, redshirt freshman Alvin Bailey, true freshmen C.J. Worton and Ryan Sousa
tl;dr: Some talent, but most of it lacks experience in general and experience with driskell in particular.

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Answering the original question : QB can't hit what he can't see. A good pass rush cures most all ills. Put enough pressure on him early to get in his head and we're in business

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Watching the Florida game on the tape, I think OL is having issues protecting the quarterback in the game. I think if we can dial up the blitzes then We could see Depriest, Ragland, Jones and Jackson having great night. I think we'll see lot of turnovers in the game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Watching the Florida game on the tape, I think OL is having issues protecting the quarterback in the game. I think if we can dial up the blitzes then We could see Depriest, Ragland, Jones and Jackson having great night. I think we'll see lot of turnovers in the game.
They admit they had issues. They blame the moving of OL after injuries as the reason. We'll see how that plays out this week. Link

Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel threw just shy of 300 yards Saturday, but his numbers don’t negate the struggles he had against Kentucky.

The three-year starter didn’t complete any of his deep throws, failed to see open receivers on several plays and still has a tendency to stare down his intended target.

However, the UF offensive line also showed some of its familiar habits. Run blocking was superb as usual, as the Gators rushed for 237 yards.

On the other hand, pass protection continues to be a problem. The Wildcats only made two sacks, but they registered seven QB hurries and forced Driskel into an interception in the first half. On third-down attempts, which the Gators converted just 29 percent of (5 of 17), Florida coach Will Muschamp said UK brought five or more pass rushers 90 percent of the time.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think Coach Saban saw that and I think they know. No way they can fix that problem in one week. See the last sentence where Coach muschamp said UK brought five or more rushers... Think we'll duplicate that? I don't know if our secondary is strong enough to account for extra receiver.
I think Florida will continue to struggle on passing game, but their running game might be what we just need... We haven't faced a true balanced team yet. I think we force Florida to beat us by passing the ball a lot.. soon or later, we get the turnover.

They admit they had issues. They blame the moving of OL after injuries as the reason. We'll see how that plays out this week. Link

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Allen, Anderson, Dickson, and Robinson will live in the backfield on passes. I also noticed alot more blitzes and pressures coming from Safeties and LB's against USM. I think that was a rehearsal for what UF is going to see a steady diet of. I will be really interested to see how the DL does getting pressure against a top flight division 1 offensive linemen. They have appeared to improve in each of the first three games. Saturday will tell us if that was all just the competition or if they are really improving. I also love how CNS and CKS are rotating D-Linemen in bunches. Getting fresh legs on the field regularly helps against HUNH teams, and Bama finally appears to have the depth to do it all game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.