How does the secondary cope against Florida

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
One safety is injured, one safety is suspended for a half, the best corner is on a pitch count.

I think we may be in for some struggles.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
From what I saw tonight, Driskel has still not fully put it together, and a lot of their passing plays were slow developing. Kentucky dropped at least 3 INT's thrown by Driskel tonight. I think our pass rush gets home often in this game. Florida had 297 yards passing in 25 completions (44 attempts - 56%), and averaged 6.4 YPC against Kentucky in a 3 OT game. That doesn't exactly strike fear in me as long as we don't beat ourselves.

Their defense gave up 369 yards passing on 25 completions (45 attempts - 56%) and averaged 8.2 YPC. Kentucky only rushed for 81 yards, so they did that well being one dimensional. I don't believe they will shut running game down like that, and if they don't, I believe our passing game will do well.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Florida played a triple OT game on the Swamp in September. They're going to depleted somewhat next Saturday. They only have one WR that's effective and Driskell can't hit the broad sign of a barn.

Dont worry.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
Dont compare our O to what Florida trotted out last night. Our issues are easier to fix. Driskell hasn't been accurate his entire career.
I agree we are light years ahead of Florida's offense. Florida will end up being 4th in east. There defense is not nearly as good or physical as they have been in the past. I think it was more about Kiffin being indecisive about what play to call. Sims was jumping up all night trying to get the plays called faster. That was addressed by Saban on the sideline and look at what happened in the second half. It's amazing the outlook some people are having about our offense. That's our strength this year. Defense will get better and better but right now they are our weakness.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
One safety is injured, one safety is suspended for a half, the best corner is on a pitch count.

I think we may be in for some struggles.
My biggest concern is Verne and Gary. We're going to win the game. I'm expecting a close one going into the half. We win by 10-14 (maybe even 21+) points. I'm looking forward to the win.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I agree we are light years ahead of Florida's offense. Florida will end up being 4th in east. There defense is not nearly as good or physical as they have been in the past. I think it was more about Kiffin being indecisive about what play to call. Sims was jumping up all night trying to get the plays called faster. That was addressed by Saban on the sideline and look at what happened in the second half. It's amazing the outlook some people are having about our offense. That's our strength this year. Defense will get better and better but right now they are our weakness.
And the sky is still falling for some Bama fans. I really don't get it.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I am sure we will win the fla game, but, I am concerned for the west with our once again problem secondary. this is suppose to be the best unit with our head coach and smart spending the spring developing these guys. I say the best are our freshmen and Jackson. forget, jones, sylve. our corners except for Jackson just are not hitters or cover the receivers. my worry is miss, texas A@M, miss st, LSU, auburn. we had a decent rush against them and they still completed passes.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
And the sky is still falling for some Bama fans. I really don't get it.
There are people who are going to crow if we don't shut everybody out and score 50 points. We've had teams like that over the last several years that lost the only close game they played that year. It would obviously be better to blow everybody out, but I also think its not such a bad thing to see a team deal with adversity and grind out a close win or two. 2009 was our least dominant NC team (statistically) under Saban, and it was the only undefeated one also. The team chemistry seems very good year, and the whole team seemed to have rallied around each other. I love the 3 RB rotation. We did that in '09 also, and everybody ran hard when their number was called. We are rotating DL like crazy and lots of guys are getting experience. That is good for now, and down the road. We have 2 solid QB's that can both win a lot games for us if we need them, and this is really the first time we can confidently say that in quite a while.

I'm gonna let 'em play, let them improve, and enjoy the ride. Some let the lack of perfection ruin their experience. Right now we have scored 15 TD's and allowed 1 on defense. We have a top 10 defense and a top 10 offense. Things could be worse, folks! ;)

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
The title of this post reminds me of a scene from "Watchmen". To paraphrase:

"Our secondary doesn't have to worry about Florida, Florida's secondary has to worry about us!"

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Driskell just doesn't have it. He's so slow getting the ball out, wildly inaccurate, and instead of playing with urgency he plays with desperation.

I think UF's defense is better than they showed against UK. UK just played a great game and their quarterback was a man out there. 2 of his INTs should've been big-time completions.

This should be a confidence-boosting game for our secondary.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Did y'all catch Jesse Palmer griping about how Driskell might not get a statue alongside Spurrier, Wurfell, and Tebow? Saying that Driskell is not considered in their class and he wasn't sure if that's fair, that Driskell was 13-3 as a starter? IMO dude was way off.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Did y'all catch Jesse Palmer griping about how Driskell might not get a statue alongside Spurrier, Wurfell, and Tebow? Saying that Driskell is not considered in their class and he wasn't sure if that's fair, that Driskell was 13-3 as a starter? IMO dude was way off.
That was probably Jesse's argument for himself more than Driskel's. It did seem to be some unwarranted butthurt coming out of left field. -lol

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.