JessN: USM wrap-up: Is Tide’s defense going back to the future?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
USM wrap-up: Is Tide’s defense going back to the future?
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 14th, 2014 01:54 PM

The ever-lovable Joe Kines brought to Alabama a defensive strategy based around a concept of bending, but not breaking. And depending on the Alabama fan one interviews today, that description either encourages praise, or the gritting of teeth. Kines’ strategy played out much differently than Nick […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
This is why I love your articles, Jess. You have a very unique insight into our games, and you come away from them with a perspective I had never considered. And you're usually right. It never occurred to me this philosophy of "bend don't break" because that's never been Saban's style, but that seems very likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Well, we have been asking how CNS would adjust to the spread. I think you've given some insight into what might be happening.

Probably not a lot a shut-outs anymore and we'll have to get used to occasionally just outscoring the opponent and it looks like we have the offense to do it with!

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Very encouraging stuff. If the D is like the best of Lines and Kiffen can utilize Sims this well then let's keep criticizoling the shortcomings right until they hoist some great trophy.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Hopefully, it is a change in philosophy. I'll be honest, the defense has given me the most worry over the first three games of the season.

I really believe our offense is good enough to win the SEC, but the defense just seems too confused at times. But they have truly locked it down when the opposition gets into scoring range.

Teams like Texas A&M greatly concern me, but we ought to be able to move the ball at will against them and if we can continue to limit drives to field goals, we should be in good shape.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.