Play clock missed calls.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
I am watching the bears and 49ers and just like in the Florida game the refs seem to be missing the delay of game more this year than in years past. (This one was even more of a delay than the Florida one) with that said, they check clocks for time outs, if they need to add time to game clock, if the player spikes ball before clock runs down. I'm curious do you believe they will make a delay of game challengeable in future. I can see both sides but this is an easy black and white issue that isn't much guess work. I doubt they ever make penalties challengeable but just curious what others thought.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I think you bring up a fair & controversial point after the hose job Kentucky endured last night against Florida..It was obvious that the time clock had expired & The Gators got away with it..A team should be able to challenge it cause the replay refs in the both could have made the right call..
I am watching the bears and 49ers and just like in the Florida game the refs seem to be missing the delay of game more this year than in years past. (This one was even more of a delay than the Florida one) with that said, they check clocks for time outs, if they need to add time to game clock, if the player spikes ball before clock runs down. I'm curious do you believe they will make a delay of game challengeable in future. I can see both sides but this is an easy black and white issue that isn't much guess work. I doubt they ever make penalties challengeable but just curious what others thought.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
It would be interesting to see a team hike the ball after the play clock expires, throw an interception, then challenge the play because the ref failed to call delay of game. Would they get the ball back minus five yards?

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
I think you bring up a fair & controversial point after the hose job Kentucky endured last night against Florida..It was obvious that the time clock had expired & The Gators got away with it..A team should be able to challenge it cause the replay refs in the both could have made the right call..
Exactly the replay ref should buzz down and call the penalty from seeing it on the monitor and there would be no real delay in game speed. I also hate the indisputable evidence crap. Call what you think is right no matter what the refs on the field called. You have the most angles and likely the best views in most cases.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
The video in the Florida game was by no means conclusive. It was also not a bad call by the refs, teams actually get about a half second grace period in those situations by design.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
It would be interesting to see a team hike the ball after the play clock expires, throw an interception, then challenge the play because the ref failed to call delay of game. Would they get the ball back minus five yards?
Thats a great point and I don't know if anyone has the answer. I had a friend say the same thing and offered this opinion. What if it was only where the defense could challenge. The only thing I could say to him is I know there would be an uproar I only defense could challenge a certain play and offenses couldn't.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
The video in the Florida game was by no means conclusive. It was also not a bad call by the refs, teams actually get about a half second grace period in those situations by design.
We have play clocks in our high school endzones and refs anticipate delay of games by reaching for their flag with one second and as soon as they see 0 they throw it. If not the put it back in the pocket. It may be different in college I have no idea but we get no grace period in high school.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Here's the explanation: http://www.secsports.com/article/11526753/sec-statement-regarding-ot-kentucky-vs-florida

At the request of the University of Kentucky, consistent with SEC protocol, the conference office reviewed the fourth down play in the first overtime of the Kentucky-Florida game and has determined the officials applied the proper mechanics and guidelines that are in place to determine when a flag should be thrown for delay of game. The back judge is responsible for delay of game calls. The procedure for the back judge is for his eyes to stay on the clock when it nears zero. When the clock hits zero, he immediately looks from the clock to the ball. If the ball is moving, there is no delay of game. If the ball is stationary, a delay of game penalty is called.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% with especially when the on-field refs made or I should say didn't make the obivious right call when the play clock hit 0 & they allowed the Gators to make the TD..
Exactly the replay ref should buzz down and call the penalty from seeing it on the monitor and there would be no real delay in game speed. I also hate the indisputable evidence crap. Call what you think is right no matter what the refs on the field called. You have the most angles and likely the best views in most cases.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
And I'll put out there that UK had other chances to win the game & blew it..Seems like there was a late hit by a UK player, that wasn't called against them,(if my memory is correct), and the officiating was pretty bad in the game..UK has only themselves to blame for the loss..

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
In a related note at the high school level "clocking" is rampant. basically if you're the visiting team and are attempting a 2 minute drill to score and win you've already lost, cause the clock operator will not stop it for anything. the refs say nothing about it because they've already been paid and they just want to go home. I've seen it at least once a season. I hate it for the kids.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
In a related note at the high school level "clocking" is rampant. basically if you're the visiting team and are attempting a 2 minute drill to score and win you've already lost, cause the clock operator will not stop it for anything. the refs say nothing about it because they've already been paid and they just want to go home. I've seen it at least once a season. I hate it for the kids.
This is true if we are away and have the whole field to go with under two minutes out first or second play of the drive is trips to one side have inside receivers on deep post routes and the outside receiver on a delayed slant route. We have our back set up as a h back and when the wr catches the ball he pitches to back that's crossing then after our receivers have cleared out the safeties and taken the corner backs with them it's a race down the sideline to see if a safety has enough speed or angle to catch him. Throwing this early helps the defense not to be prepare for it and takes the clock operators running clock out of it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.