Cooper vs. Hargreaves III

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Amari Cooper, Vernon Hargreaves III both know stakes in nation's premier WR/DB matchup

Amari Cooper's not a big talker. Instead, he carries himself with a quiet confidence.

Ask him about Saturday's matchup with Florida, and he's knows the deal. The Alabama junior who leads the nation in receptions will toe-up with possibly the best cornerback in the country. Sophomore Vernon Hargreaves III, a preseason All-American, broke up four passes Saturday in a triple-overtime win over Kentucky.

It has the feel of the Julio Jones/Patrick Peterson duels of a few years past and the significance isn't lost on either side.

"Everybody knows what's coming," Hargreaves told reporters Monday in Gainesville. "Obviously I'm going to be covering him. I'm excited for it."

Cooper played it cool.

"He's fast, quick," the Miami native said. "He plays smart."

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Not sure how much we'll throw it. If either of our qbs underthrows one, it's likely coming the other way. We do not need to lose the TO battle on Saturday. So we might be stubborn and try to grind it out at first.

If CWM doesn't try to put Hargreaves on Cooper, then he needs to update his resume. The way he is playing right now, I don't see anyone shutting Cooper down entirely, especially not one on one. Getting him the ball will be more of a challenge as will holding off Florida's pass rush while receivers work open. If Hargreaves consistently needs help on Cooper, someone else like Black or White should have a very good day. I expect it to be a very hard hitting game, especially in the first half. I also expect Florida's DBs to play better than they did against Kentucky -- they made some plays, but Kentucky dropped/deflected several.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Cooper has been most dangerous this year on the screen passes...as long as he has one blocker. No double team is going to stop that. If Sims does notice a safety cheating to one side of the field he can check to delay draw or a dump off pass to the RB.

I see us nickel and diming the Gators up and down the field until they're worn out...then we hit Cooper or White on a deep pass to push the dagger in.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Many plays this year have been packaged plays. The QB's call depends on the defense. If Florida tries to double with a safety, look for a pump fake on the screen and the blocker running down the sideline for a pass.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
I can see Kiffin doing things like using Cooper to draw coverage and then flood the other side with Jones, White, Howard, and maybe even an RB and see how they cover it.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I can see Kiffin doing things like using Cooper to draw coverage and then flood the other side with Jones, White, Howard, and maybe even an RB and see how they cover it.
Nice call, my thoughts too. Coop is such a weapon. Him being on the field is a threat every down. I think we use him as a decoy for much of the game then go exclusively to him at one point. Nothing against HIII but Coop will wear him out over the course of the game.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It's going to be an NFL level battle between those two. Barring a huge play I expect Coop to be around 75-90 yrds. Coop is the best WR in the country but give Hargreaves some credit because he's the Best CB.

I think they play man on Coop with him because they have faith but IF they choose to double cover I have a feeling that could be a grave mistake to our benefit. I just have a feeling Drake or Black would burn them badly under those circumstances. So I'm hoping for double coverage.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Coop will be fine. As another poster noted, it is concerning how our QBs have stared down their primary receivers at times. That could be problematic against big boy defenses.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.