Cooper vs. Hargreaves III

Zack

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 30, 2012
I'm interested to see how this match up will turn out. With Cooper being our #1 receiver, and our most targeted receiver by far, do we expect him to have a big day or expect some of our other outstanding wide outs to step up? I'm under the impression that Hargreaves III will be following Cooper around all day, I guess this could change but I figure they'll be paired up throughout the game. I think we all know how good Cooper is, it'll be interesting to see how good Hargreaves III is.

I think Cooper has a few catches in this game but doesn't eclipse the 100-yard mark again. I think FL will put a priority on stopping him which should open up the ground game. I also expect our TE's to have some meaningful catches this week! Thoughts? Roll Tide.

Hargreaves won't be enough. They are going to have to double cover Coop. We should get White back too, who was having a great game before his injury. I think it was like 6 rec for 73 yards. Pick your poison!

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am not sure how this specific matchup will pan out. Florida also has a great CB on the other side of the field, but Alabama has a slew of great receivers and tight ends - to say nothing of the ability of your RBs to catch the ball in space.

IMO, we are going to learn a whole lot about Sims in this game. Too often in the first 3 games the primary receiver was wide open and Sims was not required to check down. Will he go through his progressions and find the open receiver, or will he force the ball? Can he pass into smaller windows?

Time for Sims to take his game to the next level. I think that he will be fine, but we will know soon enough.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I think this will be fun to watch from a competition point of view. Coop is awesome and the Hargreaves kid is pretty good in his own right. They showed his box jump the other day and I came away very impressed and then watched him the other night. I like to think he couldn't cover Cooper 1 on 1 the entire night though.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
All I know is that Chris Black was wide open almost the WHOLE game as were the TEs. Coker found Black quickly and Sims hit Vogler in the back of the endzone. It's not like Sims forces the ball to Coop. He's open. If he's open you get it to him. I think he will have to go to his 2nd and 3rd read more in this game though. I actually think he has been doing that pretty well.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I am not sure how this specific matchup will pan out. Florida also has a great CB on the other side of the field, but Alabama has a slew of great receivers and tight ends - to say nothing of the ability of your RBs to catch the ball in space.

IMO, we are going to learn a whole lot about Sims in this game. Too often in the first 3 games the primary receiver was wide open and Sims was not required to check down. Will he go through his progressions and find the open receiver, or will he force the ball? Can he pass into smaller windows?

Time for Sims to take his game to the next level. I think that he will be fine, but we will know soon enough.
I agree with your sentiments. As for Cooper, Kiffen moves him around a lot so I think it will be hard for Florida to just sic Hargreaves or any other specific DB(s) on him.

When we got called for illegal formation it was because Cooper had moved to essentially a tight-end and didn't line up properly.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Coop will find a way to get open.

That is a fact.

The question is.....will VHIII steal a pass at some point in the process?

It's going to be fun to watch from a performance perspective, as Con stated.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Coop will find a way to get open.

That is a fact.

The question is.....will VHIII steal a pass at some point in the process?

It's going to be fun to watch from a performance perspective, as Con stated.
And you know Bazza it seems like Hargreaves comes into this with respect for Cooper and I am sure Cooper respects him. At least that is the impression I got from reading the tweet for Hargreaves in another thread. These are the kind of match ups that the elite ones love. Julio had the guy from LSU Patrick Peterson. They just battled all night a few years ago. I don't expect anything less Saturday.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm excited about the match up. To tell the truth, I think Florida is going to focus more on Cooper and I think this is going to open up our running game and Look for Drake to get involved in the game. if Hargoves press on Cooper at the line, Look for him to win the match up 60 percent of the time. If it's in coverage, I would expect Cooper to get open several times. But this is not about Cooper or VH3. The way I look at it, this open the door for TE, Jones, White and Black to get invovled more in the game. I don't care about Cooper's number as long we move the ball. We have talented receivers...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
For either team a huge mistake would be to rely on just one player in that position so with a smart coach like Nick Saban he will put together a strategy which will employ Coop as both receiver and as decoy.

Should make for a very entertaining game!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Hargreaves won't be enough. They are going to have to double cover Coop. We should get White back too, who was having a great game before his injury. I think it was like 6 rec for 73 yards. Pick your poison!

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
I agree, they will have to double Coop if they expect to even slow him down. He's going to be one rich man in less than a year.

I agree, they will have to double Coop if they expect to even slow him down. He's going to be one rich man in less than a year.
Indeed he is. They way he's come out of the box, I'm not sure doubling will help. At first I was like throw to someone else please, but he's been open, sometimes wide open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I'm not taking anything away from Harvgreaves, because he is really good, but I'm not sure he's had to cover a WR the caliber of Coop. I don't think Cooper will get 10 - 13 catches, but I don't believe he will be shut down either. Hopefully it will open up the entire passing game, because we have more weapons than we do available footballs right now. I'd venture to say that there isn't a defense in CFB that can consistently cover Cooper, White, Black, Jones, and OJ.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
If White does come back in this game we will be fine. Double Coop all you want, White, or Jones will get open with one on one coverage. You can't double two guys. Remember White went out with a shoulder injury so his speed will still be there. Expect the long ball to be thrown to White in the event they double Coop. Amari might also be used quite a bit to draw coverage away from someone else. Perhaps this opens the door for Howard and White to show off a bit.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
Brings back memories of Julio facing Patrick Peterson. Hope Cooper fares better than Julio did, but I suspect he will given A) the number of other receiving options, B) the fact that VHIII isn't as physically imposing as Peterson, and C) Cooper is a different kind of receiver than Julio.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.