News Article: Sims has come far to win Tide QB battle

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Some comparative numbers through three games...

Blake Sims: 48/64 (75%), 646 yds, 4 TDs, 1 INT, avg QBR 89.6
AJ McCarron: 48/75 (64%), 579 yds, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, avg QBR 75.23
Greg McElroy: 46/69 (67%), 647 yds, 4 TDs, 1 INT, avg QBR 74.26

Amazing that some people still don't think Sims is playing well. Over the first three games, he's been better than our last two QBs, both of which guided Alabama to National Championships...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Amazing that some people still don't think Sims is playing well. Over the first three games, he's been better than our last two QBs, both of which guided Alabama to National Championships...
So whatcha trying to say Brad, Blake is gonna be better than AJ?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Admittedly, QBR is something I know nothing about, but how in the heck is the guy with a higher completion %, more yards, more TD's, and less INT's have a lower rating???
Well, in both those cases I simply averaged their QBRs over the first three games - that's not really an accurate way of determining the actual QBR. It somewhat akin to averaging one game where a player went 0-3 (0%) passing with another where he went 14-16 (87.5%) - if you simply average the two, you get a completion average of 44%, while the actual average would be 74%.

Using the Prime Computing QBR NCAA calculator and entering actual numbers through their first three games, here's how they shake down:
Blake Sims: 177.29
AJ McCarron: 132.31
Greg McElroy: 161.66

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I still think that Jacob Coker will get his share of snaps, just not starting. If Blake Sims has a bad day or if the game is in hand we prolly will see a lot of Coker. Blake Sims is lots better at running this team than I would have thought.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Thanks for providing those stats Brad..Cause to me it proves that Blake has done an outstanding job, as a matter of fact, he's done as well as AJ, Greg, and JPW that came before him at this point of the season..Blake has earned the starting job by biding his time, becoming a better QB, with hard work & doing the extra things in the off-season needed to become a better QB..He's proven that he can lead our offense & has looked like a seasoned 5th year Senior should..I have no doubts we can win every game we play & make another NC run with Blake leading our offense..JMO

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Good facts to consider!!

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Lets hope that trend continues through 4 games.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
And.... FWIW, Bama has a new OC who has been known to work dang-near miracles with "mediocre" QB talent (Jonathon Crompton, anyone?). Take nothing away from the offense, BS, AC or anyone else, but the OC deserves some of the credit.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks for this link.

I am not sure why people still think he hasn't won the job. He won the job and and unless he drastically regresses....I don't think he will lose it.
It sure seems like he's won the job. He gives us an added dimension that we haven't had in the past. His passing % is incredible. I enjoy seeing him run and fake the opponents outta their jock straps.

However, under Coach Saban the #1 QB usually always plays until very, very late in the game when the the game is won and then the 2nd QB comes in and runs out the clock without attempting to put points on the scoreboard. I haven't seen that yet this year. However, maybe Coach Saban has mellowed and is letting almost everyone get in on the action while still trying to put points on the board. If he hasn't mellowed, is it the influence of Coach Kiffen in trying to prepare multiple QB's for the long haul?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
But he can't throw the long ball!!! *sharpening pitchfork*
Disagree. In the game this past weekend wet learned he can throw and on a decent line that doesn't sit in the air for an hour....problem is he's slow on big passes. He waits too long and the players have to come back and fight for the ball instead of being hit en route.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Thanks for providing those stats Brad..Cause to me it proves that Blake has done an outstanding job, as a matter of fact, he's done as well as AJ, Greg, and JPW that came before him at this point of the season..Blake has earned the starting job by biding his time, becoming a better QB, with hard work & doing the extra things in the off-season needed to become a better QB..He's proven that he can lead our offense & has looked like a seasoned 5th year Senior should..I have no doubts we can win every game we play & make another NC run with Blake leading our offense..JMO
What can you say except Blake chose the right Quarterback coach to study with. He didn't waste his time or money.

I'm one of those guys who doubted Blake, based on a couple of poor performances at A-Day Games.
Looks like Blake put any Bug-A-Boos behind him and has taken control of our team.
I'm proud of him. He did it the hard way.
I've seen a Blake this season who instinctively steps away from the pass rush, now he has the confidence to pass or run.

I think the addition of Jake Coker pushed Blake a little harder to achieve. We are the beneficiary.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
What can you say except Blake chose the right Quarterback coach to study with. He didn't waste his time or money.

I'm one of those guys who doubted Blake, based on a couple of poor performances at A-Day Games.
Looks like Blake put any Bug-A-Boos behind him and has taken control of our team.
I'm proud of him. He did it the hard way.
I've seen a Blake this season who instinctively steps away from the pass rush, now he has the confidence to pass or run.

I think the addition of Jake Coker pushed Blake a little harder to achieve. We are the beneficiary.
This is totally how I feel. I felt like after A-Day that Blake would never see a meaningful snap at QB, but he has proved me wrong. I also think Coker has a great shot at being a wonderful QB for us next year. In years past, CNS has asked coordinators to stay at least 2 years when they were hired, and if Kiffin does this, I think he could work wonders with Coker. He worked with Blake through the Spring and Fall, and I think it gave him the leg up this competition.

You can't help but to feel very happy for Blake. His hard work and perseverance has paid off. I would love nothing more to see him leave UA with another ring that he can truly call his!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think this is a big game for Blake. UF's defense has better talent than it's shown so far. It's an SEC defense. This game counts in the big enchilada. I think we'll know a lot more about our team and about Blake after this weekend...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.