News Article: Sims has come far to win Tide QB battle

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
This week's game will tell us if he's really won the battle for the starting QB. If he excels in this game and Bama wins, I guess it's his job.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Thanks for this link.

I am not sure why people still think he hasn't won the job. He won the job and and unless he drastically regresses....I don't think he will lose it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
What I love the most is Sims ability to scramble when a play breaks down, which is something the previous two qb's couldn't do. I can recall blitzes in year's past that cost us yardage and big drives because neither qb (McElroy or AJ) had the ability to escape. Where as Sims has the ability to make the defense pay and pay big time. A big sack in crucial part of the game can impact the next series of plays. A qb that can make a defense pay for a blitz with his legs can do so much damage.

I don't fear the pass rush quite as much anymore with Sims under center. I at least know there's a good chance he's going to scramble and get out of it. I also know that defenses are going to start being hesitant as to how fast they come in as well because they know if he bust one it's for big yardage.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
While I did not care who the QB was, it does give me a good feeling Sims got the job. A guy we recruited who has stuck it out for four years and done everything asked of him and stuck it out.

I also hope his success helps us shed the image of us not letting a black guy be the quarterback. (I know that race did not factor into Saban and Kiffin's decision). But I bet other coaches use that image against us and that is not something this university or team needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I saw that the other night. Coker was one of the ones smiling and giving a high five to Sims when Sims came off the field from a scramble for a touchdown.
I noticed that too and I like the apparent chemistry between them. It bodes well for the whole team if this continues.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.