UAB's Bill Clark: I'd "Love to play Alabama"......

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
Of course UAB would love to play Alabama. It's all about the money and it would be a win-win situation for UAB. It ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I dont have a problem with it. I would rather play in-state schools instead of Western Carolina and the like. But that is just me.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Arkansas refuses to play Arkansas State, but that hasn't stopped Arky State from building a winning program from nothing, going to 3 straight bowls, and becoming the proving ground for some pretty notable coaches. Whatever competitive shortcomings UAB suffers from are far more attributable to those who've led that program and the recurring lack of support, as opposed to anything the leadership in Tuscaloosa or the BOT has done or not done to them.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Next, University of South Alabama will be wanting to play the Crimson Tide. Has Troy stepped up and asked yet? How about Jacksonville State?

My opinion is we play only that Agricultural (API) school in Southwest Georgia and that's it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't like feeding inferiority complexes.

There was no avoiding it with Auburn. You don't just never play a conference team.. that might have worked 50 years ago but not today. And you can't avoid playing at their home stadium if they don't want to play a neutral site game either. Again.. that worked 30 years ago, but not anymore.

But playing UAB? We don't have to, so why do it? Where is the incentive? I've never seen it.

B

BamaJ

Playing Western Carolina? We don't have to do it, so why do it? Where is the incentive? Same with Florida Atlantic or International or whoever. Why specifically NOT UAB? Doesn't make sense.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Playing Western Carolina? We don't have to do it, so why do it? Where is the incentive? Same with Florida Atlantic or International or whoever. Why specifically NOT UAB? Doesn't make sense.
None of those teams are in our state throwing barbs at us with a raging inferiority complex*. We pay them.. they come in and take their beating and go back home.

*granted we're only talking about like 20 people or so that are UAB fans.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I don't like feeding inferiority complexes.

There was no avoiding it with Auburn. You don't just never play a conference team.. that might have worked 50 years ago but not today. And you can't avoid playing at their home stadium if they don't want to play a neutral site game either. Again.. that worked 30 years ago, but not anymore.

But playing UAB? We don't have to, so why do it? Where is the incentive? I've never seen it.
Because I would rather the money go to help kids in this state (and system for UAB) when at all possible than ship it out of state. UAB is no threat in football and if they ever do become one our problems are a lot deeper than playing UAB every now and then.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Because I would rather the money go to help kids in this state (and system for UAB) when at all possible than ship it out of state. UAB is no threat in football and if they ever do become one our problems are a lot deeper than playing UAB every now and then.
Us paying them a million a year would help them become a problem. It's one thing to pay a team that resides out of state to come in and get beat and go back home. It's another thing to pay your next door neighbor.

But yeah... UAB is way behind on everything and it would probably take an enormous collapse by us or Auburn for them to truly become a "threat."

That's my opinion, but this topic is pretty far down on my list of things to be concerned about so if the University changed its stance on these games, I wouldn't be all that upset about it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Alabama should have at most, at most 3 FBS programs. Tossing a lifeline to UAB is just ridiculious.

If you're so worried about money, then you should want the UAB program shut down! It's wasting millions of dollars, and the city has to buy tickets just to meet minimum FBS standards.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Alabama should have at most, at most 3 FBS programs. Tossing a lifeline to UAB is just ridiculious.

If you're so worried about money, then you should want the UAB program shut down! It's wasting millions of dollars, and the city has to buy tickets just to meet minimum FBS standards.
You're a broken record. How do I shut it off?

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Get rid of about 40 FBS football programs.
Since the topic was the state of Alabama, I assume you mean in this state. I know it's fun to play drama kings over such a ridiculous topic (whether UAB should have a team, because, you know, it's a big deal).

Other state FBS teams besides UA/AU: UAB (CUSA), South Alabama & Troy (both Sun Belt). Yes, really. That's it. I'm sorry, what was your point again?

There are many other states that have numerous FBS schools, and in most of them, the big boys do not seem to have issues playing the little guys. Anybody that thinks that keeping money in-state at times, in playing one of these schools, is going to help those mid-major-or-worse teams to compete anywhere near our level, is out-of-their. freaking. mind. LSU throwing bones to all of those Louisiana directional schools (which was a Saban idea, by the way) is really boosting the Monroes and Lafayettes and Tulanes of the world, huh? I bet Les Miles wakes up from Ragin' Cajun nightmares, and reaches over for some security grass to chew on. :)

Also, maybe to your point, There are only 5 states (California, Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas) that have more FBS teams playing per-state than Alabama, and we are tied with a couple others (Louisiana, Michigan). But this is a football-crazed state, so it should not really come as a shock to anyone.

My apologies. I didn't mean to get in the way of such a useful debate with (ahem) facts.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.