UAB's Bill Clark: I'd "Love to play Alabama"......

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Because I would rather the money go to help kids in this state (and system for UAB) when at all possible than ship it out of state. UAB is no threat in football and if they ever do become one our problems are a lot deeper than playing UAB every now and then.
UAB would not really get anymore money playing Bama. They get paid just as much for playing LSU, Tennessee or whoever. Bama would only replace one of their "pay for play" games. Bama has nothing to gain by playing UAB.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
UAB would not really get anymore money playing Bama. They get paid just as much for playing LSU, Tennessee or whoever. Bama would only replace one of their "pay for play" games. Bama has nothing to gain by playing UAB.
Not sure I have ever understood the "Bama has nothing to gain" argument. Truth be known, Bama has nothing to gain by playing any lower-level school, period. So what is the difference? What did we gain from playing FAU? Southern Miss? PT and valuable experience for our subs? Sure. And that would be different from playing UAB, how? The topic has never been brought up from folks outside of the Bama fan community with the pretense that it would benefit Bama. Was a game scheduled with FAU with the idea in either AD's head that Bama would enjoy some great benefit from it? Again, I don't get that argument. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Since the topic was the state of Alabama, I assume you mean in this state. I know it's fun to play drama kings over such a ridiculous topic (whether UAB should have a team, because, you know, it's a big deal).

Other state FBS teams besides UA/AU: UAB (CUSA), South Alabama & Troy (both Sun Belt). Yes, really. That's it. I'm sorry, what was your point again?
Seriously? I already said the state should have at most 3 programs, you're acting like I can't count or I'm ignorant of instate programs, yet somehow know that UAB gets by through the city buying tickets and loses millions.

Here's the economic situation of the 5 in state football programs.

A: Alabama is earning a big surplus.
B: Auburn earns money if you don't count subsidies. If you do, they're athletic program overall loses money, but the football program clearly earns money.
C: Troy loses money, but they do the best of operating within their means. They probably shouldn't have a program either to be honest.
D: UAB hemorrhages money on their athletic program. Their subsidy of 18 million, accounts for two thirds of their total expenses, and they lose nearly ten million dollars annually.
E: South Alabama has been about as bad.

Now, clearly, I don't think Alabama has nearly a third of all FBS football programs. But, Alabama could do without 2 or 3 of those and save money in the process. I have repeatedly argued that the FBS should have less than 100 programs. That doesn't mean I disagree with playing weaker programs, but the programs should be at the FCS level, or in the very least have shown greater financial responsibility. These are public universities after all.

Or wait... was everything you said supposed to be in blue font?

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Where exactly did I say they would pay more? I said I would rather the money we pay stay in state. Understand?

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Or wait... was everything you said supposed to be in blue font?
Nope. Since everything I said pointed to you arguing a point that nobody really cares about. Thanks for demonstrating.

How many FBS programs actually make money? And what does that have to do with who we schedule, and why we schedule them?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Nope. Since everything I said pointed to you arguing a point that nobody really cares about. Thanks for demonstrating.

How many FBS programs actually make money? And what does that have to do with who we schedule, and why we schedule them?
I was responding directly to another poster's question. I apologize for running afoul of the (very slightly) off topic police, or perhaps just a really obtuse poster.

On another note, did all 5 of UAB's fans invade our forum or something?
http://www.sportressofblogitude.com...heduled-and-a-florida-marlins-game-broke-out/

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
UAB would love for Alabama to finance their program because Birmingham is running out of money. Here's an idea, build your own program by buying tickets and not taking freebies and then actually take the time to go to the game. Start fund raising, wash cars, have bake sales, anything like that and ask for donations. This state does love its football just not welfare football. If UAB fans do not care enough to do the things needed then why should we care?

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
UAB would love for Alabama to finance their program because Birmingham is running out of money. Here's an idea, build your own program by buying tickets and not taking freebies and then actually take the time to go to the game. Start fund raising, wash cars, have bake sales, anything like that and ask for donations. This state does love its football just not welfare football. If UAB fans do not care enough to do the things needed then why should we care?
Again, the point is being missed. And I haven't been obtuse. To me, it's not about welfare. I feel like I'm trying to communicate with people that don't speak English, and I don't speak their language. Oh well, it's OK to be a Bama fan, and not understand this sort of attitude. I'll sleep well tonight, either way.

Nothingfaced

Scout Team
Aug 13, 2014
This thread is going almost exactly like I expected.

Why don't you guys ask Nick Saban about UAB? He's never defeated them.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Guys, I grew up in Birmingham. On Sunday mornings during football season, when I was a kid, I would lay the sports section out on the floor of the living room, and just lay there for a couple of hours and read. And B'ham had some good sportswriters back then. It was then that I started keeping up with the teams from the state in general. Now I was a UAB fan in basketball too, along with my smack-talkin' allegiance to all-things-Alabama-Crimson-Tide as a youngster. UAB football was even a dream in Bartow's head at the time. So anyway, I followed all state teams, checked scores, was slightly disappointed if a Livingston or UNA or Samford or A&M/State lost a game to an outsider. I watched Birmingham Southern win those NAIA championships in basketball, and cheered them on...

Well, I am asking a sincere, and obviously, by the responses on this board, naive question. And that is, why not? Why are we not playing state schools in football? And to have an intelligent, fruitful discussion, I simply cannot accept some of the answers that have been tossed around a thousand times before. My litmus test is that if your answer does not apply to an out-of-state school, it does not apply to this discussion. Bias does not apply in such a discussion. I was thinking that on Tidefans, such a discussion could take place, but I have been disappointed in the answers. Let's use LA-Monroe as the out-of-state counter-example to UAB, in the answers so far received in this thread.

"He would love to play Alabama.....for the big payout."
And what smaller team would not? LA-Monroe would not? Yes, it makes much more sense to "finance their program".

"He'd be getting better recruits, I think."
Even if this was the case, it would still not be competition for Bama. Is LSU losing recruits to Monroe. C'mon now.

"Well, I guess he needs to become head coach at a real FBS program then.", "UAB shouldn't be playing football.", etc ad nauseam
Yes, that was so helpful to the discussion. Not sure why anyone here would care that much to make such comments, as they are not threat. Again, looking for intelligent discussion.

"He played Alabama A&M and struggled mightily."
Watched the game from beginning to end, did ya? Um, no.

"Bama has nothing to gain by playing UAB. It would just be doing them a favor to play them."
What does LSU have to gain by playing their directional schools? Hmmm? One of the most tiresome comebacks. Doing them a favor, sheesh. Can someone help me find my elitist sunglasses? I can't focus.

"I don't like feeding inferiority complexes."
But some people are fat from superiority complexes. We know we're THE program, so again...

I just don't understand these types of comments coming from our fanbase. We already know we're awesome, so we look down on the little people. It's shameful, but it's the reality. It wasn't that long ago that our program struggled, and people looked down on us. How soon we forget. Heck, if it weren't for the UABs of the world, how would we fill out 3 games of our schedule every year? With 3 "real FBS teams"?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Guys, I grew up in Birmingham. On Sunday mornings during football season, when I was a kid, I would lay the sports section out on the floor of the living room, and just lay there for a couple of hours and read. And B'ham had some good sportswriters back then. It was then that I started keeping up with the teams from the state in general. Now I was a UAB fan in basketball too, along with my smack-talkin' allegiance to all-things-Alabama-Crimson-Tide as a youngster. UAB football was even a dream in Bartow's head at the time. So anyway, I followed all state teams, checked scores, was slightly disappointed if a Livingston or UNA or Samford or A&M/State lost a game to an outsider. I watched Birmingham Southern win those NAIA championships in basketball, and cheered them on..
You have a stated bias, but so do I. I'm an Alabama fan, as well as a taxpayer in the state, and therein lies my interests. My opinions have been explained here, before, in bits and pieces but I will go ahead and lay things out in detail.

A: Alabama doesn't need any help at all recruiting the state. Playing an in-state nobody can't possibly help recruiting.
B: UAB is wasting tons of money, in-state taxpayer money. Rewarding that is a bad idea.
C: The sooner UAB realizes that only a handful of people care about their program, the sooner they can stop wasting everyone's money and move on to something else.

Here's the thing though, I don't hate that UAB has a program. I hate that UAB wants to waste money left and right, in a misguided attempt to compare to Alabama and Auburn. Remember, they didn't even have an FBS program until the latest round of scholarship reductions. The standard had to be lowered to the point that UAB could participate, and even then, UAB is only meeting minimum requirements because of city funds being wasted to purchase tickets no one wants.

I hate that UAB tried to get Jimbo when Alabama wanted him as offensive coordinator. I hate that UAB pays their head coach 500,000 when their program loses money left and right. I hate that they think they should have as many coaches, and as many players on scholarship as Alabama has. I hate that they think making taxpayers pay for a new stadium will be what it takes to get people to care.

Hate is probably too strong a word really, but they are wasting money and they won't stop until they realize that no, they'll never be Alabama or Auburn, that no, people won't really care. Why give them a lifeline? Why prolong the suffering? They're wasting everyone's money because a handful of people don't like Alabama or Auburn and somehow got it into their head that they could be relevant in the state.

What if they are right? What good could that possibly do Alabama? Was it helpful to Ole Miss and Miss. State for Southern Miss to be competitive? Was it helpful to North Carolina and NC State for East Carolina to be competitive? Did anything good come for North Carolina from playing East Carolina? No, and nothing good could come out of it. When the dominant in-state program lowers its level and plays the little guy, only one of those two parties can possibly stand to gain anything. Mind you, it's different when you go outside of the FBS, but it's just as well to play an out of state team and gain a bit more exposure.

What you won't see is me talking bad about UNA, Alabama A&M, etc... they haven't used football welfare to muscle their way into the FBS. I live in Mobile, and I used to cheer for South Alabama in baseball and basketball. I don't anymore, I'm tired of money being wasted on trying to make them relevant, I'm tired of having local people try to stuff South Alabama football down my throat. We didn't need the football program, it's a waste of money, and it's downright annoying.

The Alabama A&M coach makes about a third of what the UAB coach makes. If South and UAB really wanted to play football, but chose to spend according to their level of support, to operate according to their merit, they would do so at a lower level and that would be appropriate. They don't though, and as such they do not deserve to be rewarded. They're part of the problem. They're one reason Alabama has such restrictions placed on it, so the undeserving programs, who have no merit of their own can try to hold them down so that they can try to try to operate at a level that is completely unwarranted.

To be clear, they do have delusions of grandeur. South Alabama decided they wanted a football program in the middle of Alabama title runs. That's not coincidence, they decided against a program for years then suddenly, when Alabama fervor reaches a high pitch they decide Mobile needs an FBS football program. UAB is suffering from the same sort of problem, there are people in Birmingham that just can't stand that people go to Tuscaloosa to watch football games.

I understand why UAB is desperate to play Alabama. Of course they are, their program is only relevant in that it gets a dim reflection from what Alabama football does in the state. But, they have done nothing at all to deserve that. They haven't even done anything to deserve an FBS program and if not for an overt agenda by the NCAA they wouldn't be allowed to have one.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Let's look at a parallel situation: the UTw system.

They have a pretty healthy endowment, and lots of little UT-somewhere, all over the state.

UT-Dallas offers degrees in engineering, and has a NCAA basketball team. It competes at a level one step below that of UT-Arlington. Which is on the other other side of town, and also offers degrees in engineering. I know folks with degrees in engineering from both schools.

The other notable thing they have in common: no football team. If students want to have the college experience of watching football on Saturday, they have to go to SMU, TCU (neither of which are affordable), or UNT (which is). My niece (and money) go to UNT, and in the 3 years she has been there, has not been to a football game. She doesn't even know her uncle can listen to the games on the campus radio station, since she does not know there is a campus radio station. Imagine that: a former HS cheerleader who isn't interested in college football. (She really wasn't interested in HS football, if you heard her leading cheers for a TD, when the team was on defense. But, again, I digress.)

So, why is it imperative that UAB have a football team? That is a drain on the taxpayers (which I am obviously no longer one) and not a necessity for those of us with a MBA from there. If we are opposed to UAB having a football team, does that mean we are just UAB bashers, and should give back our degree?

Some things are just dumb ideas. UAB football is one of them.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I'd request mods close this thread. Nothing new can be said. UAB isn't going to find respect here no matter what.
I'm all for that LOL. Taxpayer drain. OK.

But what we're really saying is that most of the smaller conference teams (and some independent) are dumb ideas, or at the very least should not be FBS-level. That is what I am reading. Because most of them do NOT make money, and DO waste money. And since we live in Alabama, and UAB is doing that in our state, then that's why we are attacking them. Right? Just trying to understand the vitriol. I'm a Bama fan. I can't stress that enough. So I am not pandering for respect for UAB, Troy, South Alabama, or anyone. Also, so that there is no confusion, I do not root for Auburn in anything, period, though I keep up with other state schools (and revel in an AU loss). So whether folks on here respect UAB, pffft, I don't care about all that. Just wanted to know why we don't give state schools the time of day, but bother with out-of-state fledgling programs (Georgia State says hello). And I get back "wasting the taxpayer's money". Okey-doke. Are we contacting Old Dominion to play a game yet? I hear they just jumped into FBS. Woo-to-the-hoo!

RTR

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I was responding directly to another poster's question. I apologize for running afoul of the (very slightly) off topic police, or perhaps just a really obtuse poster.

On another note, did all 5 of UAB's fans invade our forum or something?
http://www.sportressofblogitude.com...heduled-and-a-florida-marlins-game-broke-out/
Just looking at that link, I've NEVER seen a high school game with so few fans. Who was UAB playing? If they played Hoover High, they would have more people in the stands than that.

Is it Legion Field or is it UAB?

I would rather Bama play Jacksonville State than UAB. My preference would be to play NEITHER!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I have nothing against any college having a football team. But, if they have one, it has to compete at the proper level. Finding the right level will allow them to field a team that won't break the bank. Trying to be something you are not cut out to be will cost a ton of money.

UAB is a special case, as some wacko API supporters think UAB can drain talent from Bama, and they back it to the hilt. Even if it wastes taxpayer money. Unfortunately, seems some UAB folks fall for that nonsense.

A bad analogy, but at one time, SMU played in the Cotton Bowl. They had visions of grandeur. It blew up in their face, and it lead to the death penalty. The road back has been long and hard.

The first thing they decided, before they were allowed to field a team, is that they would play all of their games on their campus stadium. Which is not very large. And will never be large. They have accepted what they are, and will probably be content, for a long time, to be what they are.

Although some of them think that since Larry Brown has brought their basketball team back, now they can attract a better level of football coach. If they were smart..................they would accept who they are.

There is a lesson there, for UAB.

BTW.................UT-A is in the Sun Belt Conference. As a non-football member. Another lesson for UAB.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm all for that LOL. Taxpayer drain. OK.

But what we're really saying is that most of the smaller conference teams (and some independent) are dumb ideas, or at the very least should not be FBS-level. That is what I am reading. Because most of them do NOT make money, and DO waste money.
Yes... But, when I said we should get rid of 40 FBS programs, you came back with a sarcastic response about there not being 40 FBS programs in Alabama (I hope you were trying to be sarcastic). I will point out though that I've never been critical of Alabama playing FCS programs. If the program is a joke as the FBS level, it's no real difference between playing an FCS team, just that the FCS team doesn't operate under the same delusions and wastefulness.

So whether folks on here respect UAB, pffft, I don't care about all that. Just wanted to know why we don't give state schools the time of day, but bother with out-of-state fledgling programs (Georgia State says hello). And I get back "wasting the taxpayer's money".
Well, I did explain it in detail. I could explain it in further detail, but to reiterate no good can come of smaller in-stage football programs trying to compete at a higher level than they are worthy of competing at. Besides that, it is in Alabama's best interests not to play them, so why would I, as an Alabama fan want that to happen?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.