A few interesting statistics

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
First, I'd like to point out that Blake Sims is 6th in Total QBR: http://espn.go.com/college-football/qbr
This puts him ahead of Jameis Winston, Trevor Knight, Nick Marshall, Bo Wallace, Brett Hundley, etc... and one spot below Mariotta. He's barely behind several highly touted guys, Petty, Hill and Kiel.

Clint Trickett is third in passing yards, Kenny Hill is fifth.

Amari Cooper is third in receiving yards and first in receptions.

Alabama's SoS is weak right now, but Florida (21 according to Sagarin) will help that. Sagarin still has Alabama at #2 though. Given that Alabama has played the softest part of their schedule by far, it's still not that low. Baylor, Stanford, Florida, Miss. State, etc... have played easier schedules and Alabama hasn't started conference play yet.

As it stands now, upcoming teams have this rank according to Sagarin:
Florida: 21
Mississippi: 15
Arkansas: 46
Texas A&M: 4
Tennessee: 38
LSU: 9
Mississippi State : 28

Western Carolina: 181

Auburn: 5

Clearly, Alabama has a brutal season ahead of them, and really, given the styles of play I'm not sure you can really expect any team other than Western Carolina to give them a breather. It should be interesting.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
First, I'd like to point out that Blake Sims is 6th in Total QBR: http://espn.go.com/college-football/qbr
This puts him ahead of Jameis Winston, Trevor Knight, Nick Marshall, Bo Wallace, Brett Hundley, etc... and one spot below Mariotta. He's barely behind several highly touted guys, Petty, Hill and Kiel.

Clint Trickett is third in passing yards, Kenny Hill is fifth.

Amari Cooper is third in receiving yards and first in receptions.

Alabama's SoS is weak right now, but Florida (21 according to Sagarin will help that). Sagarin still has Alabama at #2 though. Given that Alabama has played the softest part of their schedule by far, it's still not that low. Baylor, Stanford, Florida, Miss. State, etc... have played easier schedules and Alabama hasn't started conference play yet.

As it stands now, upcoming teams have this rank according to Sagarin:
Florida: 21
Mississippi: 15
Arkansas: 46
Texas A&M: 4
Tennessee: 38
LSU: 9
Mississippi State : 28

Western Carolina: 181

Auburn: 5

Clearly, Alabama has a brutal season ahead of them, and really, given the styles of play I'm not sure you can really expect any team other than Western Carolina to give them a breather. It should be interesting.
Blake has played really well this season but I would be really surprised if he is still top 10 QBR by the end of October. I don't think he is gonna fall apart but it will be tough to keep up the pace he is on given the upcoming competition (which I know you alluded to).

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
even though it is not listed on ESPN for some reason, Bama have the fewest punts in the country at three,

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
even though it is not listed on ESPN for some reason, Bama have the fewest punts in the country at three,
We're tied for #6 in 1st downs with WVU, right behind Baylor, two prolific offenses. We're also #10 in 3rd down conversions so it's no wonder we're punting less so far.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
As good as Scott is punting, theres a good chance he won't have enough punts to qualify to win the punting title.

I think Greg Gantt had the same issue.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Gawdy stats for sure but they are inflated right now and don't mean much. How we do in conference play will paint a more accurate picture of how good this team really is.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Blake has played really well this season but I would be really surprised if he is still top 10 QBR by the end of October. I don't think he is gonna fall apart but it will be tough to keep up the pace he is on given the upcoming competition (which I know you alluded to).
I'd be surprised if he stays in the top 10 as well, given the simple fact he has to face the SEC. But, I do think some of the impact of tougher defenses will be mitigated by the fact that they are breaking in a new OC and starting QB. So, they should improve while the competition improves.

Auburn was in a similar situation last year (more growing pains I surmise, since the system was more different), but that offense didn't really come alive until their Western Carolina game. In the previous 5 games, they scored more than Alabama's lowest output this season once. After that, they went on a tear and didn't score below that until the championship game.

So, there is the potential for Alabama to kind of bog down against the better defenses, but if Kiffin/Blake find another gear (which I think would largely lie in more emphasis on the HUNH and specific plays catering to his skill set), it's not out of the question to see Alabama keep this up.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I agree 100% with y'all..If he stays in the Top 10 with the brutal SEC Games he's bout to play against..He's going to be in the hunt for The Heisman, if he keeps up the pace statistically, he's putting up so far this season & I would be absolutely thrilled if he does cause we will be in the hunt for the NC yet again under Coach Saban..Gotta love "The Process" cause Blake Sims will be the poster boy for it..JMO
I'd be surprised if he stays in the top 10 as well, given the simple fact he has to face the SEC. But, I do think some of the impact of tougher defenses will be mitigated by the fact that they are breaking in a new OC and starting QB. So, they should improve while the competition improves.

Auburn was in a similar situation last year (more growing pains I surmise, since the system was more different), but that offense didn't really come alive until their Western Carolina game. In the previous 5 games, they scored more than Alabama's lowest output this season once. After that, they went on a tear and didn't score below that until the championship game.

So, there is the potential for Alabama to kind of bog down against the better defenses, but if Kiffin/Blake find another gear (which I think would largely lie in more emphasis on the HUNH and specific plays catering to his skill set), it's not out of the question to see Alabama keep this up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.