Going to the doctor today. Pray they find out what's going on.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I spoke with her kidney doctor today and he says he's admitting defeat. That is, he's not been successful in bringing her kidney functions under control using medications. But in the infamous words of John Paul Jones, "We have not yet begun to fight". So now we move on the next phase, which is dialysis. They're going to hook her up for that tomorrow and start it right afterward. That's going to take aboiut 4 hours per session, and they're going to do it both tomorrow and Saturday.
At the same time though, they're going to do an angiogram to identify and then repair the clogged artery in her heart. She'll stay in the hospital for a few more days and then come home. Starting tomorrow though, we're going to be visiting with the folks from the dialysis clinic and learning about and how to do the dialysis at home. All this is in the short term.
Long term, our plans are that in about a month or so after she's home, we'll take a trip to the hospital where they perform kidney transplants. They will then run her through a battery of tests to determine whether she's a viable candidate for kidney transplant.
Then, and only IF she passes through all these tests. then..... Well then, it's my turn. I'll run through a similar battery of tests to determine whether I am a suitable donor for her. If all that goes ok, then we'll both be scheduled for surgery when and where I will donate one of my kidneys to her. If it will save her life,, I'm all for it, regardless of the cost or consequences to my own health or well-being.
I can live without one of my kidneys. I can modify my diet and exercise routine as well as my work/play schedule so that I can continue to function with one kidney. What I can't do though, is to lose my wife and go on living like everything is normal and peachy.
I know that I'd rather live without one of my kidneys than without my wife of 26 years. That would be a loss that would both devastate and haunt me for the rest of my life.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I spoke with her kidney doctor today and he says he's admitting defeat. That is, he's not been successful in bringing her kidney functions under control using medications. But in the infamous words of John Paul Jones, "We have not yet begun to fight". So now we move on the next phase, which is dialysis. They're going to hook her up for that tomorrow and start it right afterward. That's going to take aboiut 4 hours per session, and they're going to do it both tomorrow and Saturday.
At the same time though, they're going to do an angiogram to identify and then repair the clogged artery in her heart. She'll stay in the hospital for a few more days and then come home. Starting tomorrow though, we're going to be visiting with the folks from the dialysis clinic and learning about and how to do the dialysis at home. All this is in the short term.
Long term, our plans are that in about a month or so after she's home, we'll take a trip to the hospital where they perform kidney transplants. They will then run her through a battery of tests to determine whether she's a viable candidate for kidney transplant.
Then, and only IF she passes through all these tests. then..... Well then, it's my turn. I'll run through a similar battery of tests to determine whether I am a suitable donor for her. If all that goes ok, then we'll both be scheduled for surgery when and where I will donate one of my kidneys to her. If it will save her life,, I'm all for it, regardless of the cost or consequences to my own health or well-being.
I can live without one of my kidneys. I can modify my diet and exercise routine as well as my work/play schedule so that I can continue to function with one kidney. What I can't do though, is to lose my wife and go on living like everything is normal and peachy.
I know that I'd rather live without one of my kidneys than without my wife of 26 years. That would be a loss that would both devastate and haunt me for the rest of my life.
God Bless you both. You get all my love and respect, Reb and Mrs. Reb!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Suddenly my problems aren't so bad. Best wishes to you and your wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
Buzzard, please keep us informed of what the doctors find and say. Even though I'm presently concentrating on helping my wife, I'm certainly not ignoring your own illness or any that others may be suffering.
Praying for the Lord to guide your doctor in finding and curing whatever is ailing you.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Buzzard, please keep us informed of what the doctors find and say. Even though I'm presently concentrating on helping my wife, I'm certainly not ignoring your own illness or any that others may be suffering.
Praying for the Lord to guide your doctor in finding and curing whatever is ailing you.
Oh no offense taken at all brother. Your issue's are much worse than mine. I'm more than likely just dealing with a thyroid or low T issue which in light of what you're going through is nothing.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Praise God they found what is wrong with me. I've got "very" low T, vitamin D and vitamin B-12. Getting that fixed starting today!!!!!
Great to hear. Relatively easy fixes.
More Vitamin D means more time in the sun and less time indoors. That's fun.
Maybe you can convince the missus that you need her help to remedy the low T.

Really, I might start acting like I got the same diagnosis...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
I want to start off by expressing my gratitude to everyone who sent their prayers and best wishes for Mrs. Reb's recovery. And it worked! Her cardiologist and nephrologist both released her and we brought her home yesterday. She's going to a clinic this morning for dialysis and also to train on how to dialyze herself at home. I am so thankful to have her back home. Especially so when I (reluctantly) think about how close we came to it going the other way.
I was going to use a football analogy with which to compare the rollercoaster ride we've been on these past 2 weeks, but I don't think such an analogy would come close. Her sister and I have almost literally lived at that hospital for all this time, and by what the doctors were saying, we were way too close to having to plan her funeral. But now I have my wife back home with me. Thank God for that, and thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I want to start off by expressing my gratitude to everyone who sent their prayers and best wishes for Mrs. Reb's recovery. And it worked! Her cardiologist and nephrologist both released her and we brought her home yesterday. She's going to a clinic this morning for dialysis and also to train on how to dialyze herself at home. I am so thankful to have her back home. Especially so when I (reluctantly) think about how close we came to it going the other way.
I was going to use a football analogy with which to compare the rollercoaster ride we've been on these past 2 weeks, but I don't think such an analogy would come close. Her sister and I have almost literally lived at that hospital for all this time, and by what the doctors were saying, we were way too close to having to plan her funeral. But now I have my wife back home with me. Thank God for that, and thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers.
good news. home is often the best place to get healthy

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.