Power 5 vs Power 5.....thru 9-14

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I thought this was interesting...

Power 5 conferences (and Notre Dame) vs each other.

SEC.............4-1
Pac 12.........5-2
ACC.............4-2
Big 12..........4-5
Big Ten........1-10

ND...............2-0

Still early, but I think we are seeing a trend.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
PAC 12 is very lucky they are not 3-4. UCLA coulda ,woulda, shoulda lost to Virginney And shorthorns. Give them credit for scheduling those games though. I always think Mora is a really good coach, then his teams have seasons you just can't explain.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The one thing people could say (like Stoops) is the SEC has played the least amount of OOC games against power 5 conferences.
But what does that really mean? You could play Duke, Wake Forest, or any team in the Big 10 and say look I played a team from a "power conference". It's not about quantity. Alabama played a traditional football power, LSU played a traditional football power, Tennessee played a traditional football power, etc... and of course there's some big OOC games coming later for SEC schools, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, etc...

There is a fixation on that, which serves to overlook the overall difficulty of the SEC schedule. It's easy enough to play tough games early, when your conference is loaded with basketball schools for instance. The SEC, despite the appearance of playing an easy schedule, still ranks as the top conference right now, meaning they're getting it done on the field. It's not all about the quality or play, or it should be.

Last edited:

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
The one thing people could say (like Stoops) is the SEC has played the least amount of OOC games against power 5 conferences.
Yeah, But most conferences play a lot of their OOC games within the first four games of the season. The SEC tends to play one to two OOC games at the end of the season. GA vs. GA Tech, Fl vs FL State, SC vs. Clemson, Alabama vs. Carolina School of the Blind.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
The SEC teams only have 11 games against the other Power 5 conference teams this season.

UGA: Clemson, Ga. Tech
Alabama: West Virginia
UF: Fla St.
Missouri: Indiana
Auburn: Kansas St.
UT: Oklahoma
Arky: Texas Tech
UK: Louisville
LSU: Wisconsin
USC: Clemson

Vandy: None
MSU: None
Ole Miss: None
A&M: None

Last edited:

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I believe that you're missing South Carolina. They play Clemson at the end of the year.
The SEC teams only have 10 games against the other Power 5 conference teams this season.

UGA: Clemson, Ga. Tech
Alabama: West Virginia
UF: Fla St.
Missouri: Indiana
Auburn: Kansas St.
UT: Oklahoma
Arky: Texas Tech
UK: Louisville
LSU: Wisconsin

Vandy: None
MSU: None
Ole Miss: None
A&M: None

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The SEC teams only have 10 games against the other Power 5 conference teams this season.
The SEC mandated that they schedule at least one going forward, so I don't expect to see that in the future. But, the SEC teams play the toughest schedules, they have to play each other. I 100% understand their not wanting to play tough games out of conference, because they do need all their strength to play Alabama and company.

Edit: This whole discussion is a diversion. First, SEC territory contains the best non-power conference programs for the most part. Secondly, the SEC might end up with the most wins against "Power 5" schools before it's all said and done. Finally, and this is the reason some people are running their mouth about this sort of thing so much, the SEC West is ranked as the top conference or division in all of college football, and the SEC East is second. That's ahead of every other division and conference, when you stand that far ahead, when more do you need to prove?

Last edited:

Nothingfaced

Scout Team
Aug 13, 2014
What is up with this trend of people comparing a conference to another conference? It blows my mind. You'd think an Alabama fan couldn't care less how another school did in the SEC; they care about Alabama and Alabama only.

As a UAB fan, I only care about UAB. Screw Conference USA and how they do. I don't care. I just don't understand.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
But what does that really mean? You could play Duke, Wake Forest, or any team in the Big 10 and say look I played a team from a "power conference". It's not about quantity. Alabama played a traditional football power, LSU played a traditional football power, Tennessee played a traditional football power, etc... and of course there's some big OOC games coming later for SEC schools, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, etc...

There is a fixation on that, which serves to overlook the overall difficulty of the SEC schedule. It's easy enough to play tough games early, when your conference is loaded with basketball schools for instance. The SEC, despite the appearance of playing an easy schedule, still ranks as the top conference right now, meaning they're getting it done on the field. It's not all about the quality or play, or it should be.
I agree. I'll see your Duke, Wake Forest and raise you a Vandy. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.