Okla City writer's spin on Stoops and the SEC

champions77

Scout Team
Sep 6, 2006
Norman, Ok
Even though Stoops' record against the SEC isn't all that great, they were extended interest in the last expansion phase. My understanding, mostly coming from OK fans who either write about OU or run OU boards is that, in the end, OU simply couldn't bring themselves to divorce UT and therefore all of the Texas HS talent. It's comic that ATM took the plunge and is now harvesting the cream of the crop in TX recruiting, partially on the basis of SEC exposure. Karma, baby... :)
With OU being extended an offer to the SEC, we had the opportunity to go play in the very best conference, and to me there is not even a close second, but instead chose to stay with Texas in a diminished conference, which would only have eight teams if it were not for a desperate conference accepting two desperate schools (TCU and W Virginia). The OU/Texas relationship is a rather odd love/hate one. Both schools cannot stand each other, but OU makes millions in donations for the Red River clash as tickets to that game are for the most part, allotted to those that contribute to the University. That and the fact that the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex is an area of great recruiting importance to OU. OU is actually closer to the Cotton Bowl than the University of Texas is. By staying in the same conference as Texas, you guarantee that game will be played. In different conferences...no guarantees, see Texas and A&M.
The prevailing thought in these parts is that the BIG XII will not be around for the long haul. So then what? Does the SEC ever contemplate taking OU and Texas to get to the 16 schools everyone believes is inevitable? Stay tuned.
Roll Tide and Boomer Sooner!!

PS The Stoops and Saban clashes are a bit theatrical as both are good friends. Bob has brought staff to Tuscaloosa on more than one occasion to learn from the best.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Even though Stoops' record against the SEC isn't all that great, they were extended interest in the last expansion phase. My understanding, mostly coming from OK fans who either write about OU or run OU boards is that, in the end, OU simply couldn't bring themselves to divorce UT and therefore all of the Texas HS talent. It's comic that ATM took the plunge and is now harvesting the cream of the crop in TX recruiting, partially on the basis of SEC exposure. Karma, baby... :)
That was basically my recollection too, Earle. If not for their complicated relationship with the state of Texas and if they had a more forward-thinking president rather than David Boren, I think Oklahoma might have seriously considered and even made the move. Instead they are stuck watching Texas AM take more of their recruits and thinking about what could have been. Deep down I think this is what's driving a lot of the SEC-bashing on their message boards and may even be the reason for some of Stoops' responses and comments.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think the SEC brand more than partially helped. Their recruiting skyrocketed the moment it was made official. I also think OU underestimated the SEC brand and it's "pull" when not taking that leap. Because if they would have come to the SEC it would have officially buried TX, IMO.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
With OU being extended an offer to the SEC, we had the opportunity to go play in the very best conference, and to me there is not even a close second, but instead chose to stay with Texas in a diminished conference, which would only have eight teams if it were not for a desperate conference accepting two desperate schools (TCU and W Virginia). The OU/Texas relationship is a rather odd love/hate one. Both schools cannot stand each other, but OU makes millions in donations for the Red River clash as tickets to that game are for the most part, allotted to those that contribute to the University. That and the fact that the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex is an area of great recruiting importance to OU. OU is actually closer to the Cotton Bowl than the University of Texas is. By staying in the same conference as Texas, you guarantee that game will be played. In different conferences...no guarantees, see Texas and A&M.
The prevailing thought in these parts is that the BIG XII will not be around for the long haul. So then what? Does the SEC ever contemplate taking OU and Texas to get to the 16 schools everyone believes is inevitable? Stay tuned.
Roll Tide and Boomer Sooner!!

PS The Stoops and Saban clashes are a bit theatrical as both are good friends. Bob has brought staff to Tuscaloosa on more than one occasion to learn from the best.
That's a very good question. My brother in law and sister are alums of Texas Tech and both are BIG football fans. They say the same thing in that they don't believe the conference will survive over the long haul. It will definitely be interesting to watch.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I don't ever see Texas joining the SEC, and by extension that probably means that OU never will either. My guess is that they will end up in some future version of the PAC 12/16 once we go to super conferences. David Boren, the president of OU, said as much a couple of years ago.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
The same writer also wrote an article that sort of called Bob Stoops out. It basically said that A)You can't play down the bottom half of the SEC and then play up how tough Tennessee will be. It's one or the other. And B)If the bottom half of the SEC is so bad then you better beat them soundly.

In case some haven't figured it out yet, I'll try to make it clear:

Sports writers, radios hosts, and TV personalities get paid to, essentially, stir the pot. There is no 'this side' vs 'that side'. Taking any media personality, no matter what format they work in, at their word is nothing short of foolish. They are paid to play on your emotional investment in your team. Nothing more.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.