Link: Jameis Winston suspended 1st half vs Clemson

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN
ESPN -- TV and Radio -- have their talking points for the day that most hosts adhere to. A few are assigned to take the opposite position just to stir the pot. Controversy increases ratings. What the hosts say on air isn't usually how they really feel. Occasionally Colin Cowherd will let people "behind the curtain," saying that listeners think ESPN is spontaneous, but there's nothing spontaneous about it.

Scott Van Pelt mentioned that Mel Kiper lowered Winston on his draft board. His belief is that by March-April, Winston's transgressions will be forgotten by teams that have been beaten up in the season just over. Hate to be cynical and agree with him, but that's the way it seems to work.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I was listening to Sirius radio today and there was conflict.
Tim Brando was saying he was "appalled" that Fisher only gave Winston a half game suspension, which kinda surprised me.
A writer from FOX Sports made a pretty good argument about Fisher's approach, saying his lack of a stronger suspension will only hurt Winston in the long run.
He basically said, "If he sits Winston for only the first half and they're behind at halftime, he's not punishing him, he's going to make him feel like a hero.
First, the crowd will give him a standing ovation when he goes into the huddle to start the second half. Then, if he leads a comeback, they're going to go into a frenzy. At that point, he may feel like he can do whatever the heck he wants to, with no regards for any rules at all. That will cost him greatly as he moves forward in his career and his life".
Meanwhile, Coach Fisher said, "You have to treat these players like they're your kids. Just because they make a mistake you don't kick them out the door".
My first thought was, "You self serving, gutless whatever".
I think most would agree, if Winston was a back up corner, he'd be gone in a heartbeat, and Fisher would give him the key to the door.
sip
Hey, I said that last night. Maybe that writer is reading tidefans?, my quote last night-
Another point. Suspsnsion for a half may be worse than no suspension. Jameis has the opportunity to come in after the half, lead FSU to a win, and add to his stature, legend and ego. No lesson learned. His thought process will be that he pulled his team through adversity,with little thought that he created it.
and why do you get all the likes for quoting someone, and I get only a few likes for an obvious insightful observation . :conf2::)
I also heard Bret MCMURPHY of ESPN almost quote my post about how the selection committee will view this FSU - Clemson game.
Either I should be getting paid for my observations or you guys should be listening to me more :)

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Hey, I said that last night. Maybe that writer is reading tidefans?, my quote last night-

and why do you get all the likes for quoting someone, and I get only a few likes for an obvious insightful observation . :conf2::)
I also heard Bret MCMURPHY of ESPN almost quote my post about how the selection committee will view this FSU - Clemson game.
Either I should be getting paid for my observations or you guys should be listening to me more :)
Your quote was actually much more dynamic that the Fox Sports guy! :)...so I just liked your post!! sip

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Yep, he's out for the whole game now. I have to wonder if this is a result of bowing to the pressure of public opinion. Something had to change to cause it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.