Question: What new wrinkles and types of plays do you expect this weekend?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think the first three games have been used as a basis for getting Sims comfortable with running the base offense. We saw a few more wrinkles in the USM game (zone read and more intermediate throws beyond 15 yds). I think we'll see a lot more of the offense open up Saturday because odds are we're not going to have a choice but to open it up.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
No matter what plays we run against The Gators..I sure hope we play in our HUNH style of offense that Blake has ran to perfection the 1st couple of games this year..I just watched the replay of our game against S Miss & the 1st half we went back to the slowed down huddle up after each play, and we looked really confused in the 1st half lot at times, then the 1st drive of the 2nd half, we went back to the HUNH offense, that we ran the 1st 2 games of the year with Blake running our offense & we went straight down the field in a dominating kinda way without any confusing at all..Our offense & Blake looks so much better when we go to the HUNH style of play on offense..If Blake is going to be our starter..Then we need to run the HUNH style of offense with Blake..Cause our offense is as explosive as any offense in the country when we run that style of offense..And Coach Kiffin seems more comfortable calling plays when he has to have the play called really quickly..JMHO
Whether "we" (fans, coaches etc) like it or not. Speeding up the pace causes ALL defenses problems. I've yet to see any defense consistently "shut down" an offense that was in hurry up mode. Especially if the team running it had elite athletes. Do I like that style of play? No, I don't. But there's no denying with Sims under center and the times we've gone hurry up no huddle he has instantly flourished. So IMO, it has to be a part of the game plan on some level.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
We all know they are going to stack the line to shut down our running backs, throw the ball until they back off their safeties then pound the ball until they stop us from running. Mix in some pistol formation off the no huddle.

atlbama

2nd Team
Nov 18, 2005
Dunwoody, GA
No matter what plays we run against The Gators..I sure hope we play in our HUNH style of offense that Blake has ran to perfection the 1st couple of games this year..I just watched the replay of our game against S Miss & the 1st half we went back to the slowed down huddle up after each play, and we looked really confused in the 1st half lot at times, then the 1st drive of the 2nd half, we went back to the HUNH offense, that we ran the 1st 2 games of the year with Blake running our offense & we went straight down the field in a dominating kinda way without any confusing at all..Our offense & Blake looks so much better when we go to the HUNH style of play on offense..If Blake is going to be our starter..Then we need to run the HUNH style of offense with Blake..Cause our offense is as explosive as any offense in the country when we run that style of offense..And Coach Kiffin seems more comfortable calling plays when he has to have the play called really quickly..JMHO
I agree that Sims (and the rest of the offense) seems much more comfortable in the no-huddle, but don't confuse it too much with a HUNH. The goal seems to be to get to the line of scrimmage quicker and give Blake more time to look over the defense as opposed to getting the play off as quickly as possible. Oddly enough, the no-huddle seems to allow him to not rush to get the plays off.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I agree that Sims (and the rest of the offense) seems much more comfortable in the no-huddle, but don't confuse it too much with a HUNH. The goal seems to be to get to the line of scrimmage quicker and give Blake more time to look over the defense as opposed to getting the play off as quickly as possible. Oddly enough, the no-huddle seems to allow him to not rush to get the plays off.
I wonder if the verbiage or the length of the play being called is causing the issue. I know listening to Jon Gruden repeat some of the West Coast plays he ran as a coach they are very, very lengthy and confusing. Since Kiffin runs a WC style offense I wonder if this is the case with our plays?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Last night, Coach Saban said that they installed new plays for Sims to run this weekend. i think they are installing a new wrinkle looks that invovles Howard and other TEs. Look for us to play in unbalanced formations, I think we're going to force Florida Defense to play off the passes so our running games can take off.

Let me ask you this: What teams played well against our defense last year and this year? Texas A and M, Auburn, Okalhoma, WVU... and now we're facing team with similar defense to our... what do you do :) Install the read options, quick short passes, unblanced formations, We're using our lesson learned from previous game and use it against Florida. BOOM!

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I know the playbook opens steadily throughout out the year, so I'm sure we'll see something new. I'm with Alasippi; I think we'll see more of the Tight Ends in the receiving game. More option/misdirection elements could come out (I would love to see the counter trey again one day), or a power I to take advantage of our stable of backs. As long as we don't stagnate or get too cute, I'm happy. On D, I don't know. I'm still a little skittish with our backfield, stats be hanged. I just hope to see us settle in and look a little more comfortable defending the pass. A good edge rush will help.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Last night, Coach Saban said that they installed new plays for Sims to run this weekend. i think they are installing a new wrinkle looks that invovles Howard and other TEs. Look for us to play in unbalanced formations, I think we're going to force Florida Defense to play off the passes so our running games can take off.

Let me ask you this: What teams played well against our defense last year and this year? Texas A and M, Auburn, Okalhoma, WVU... and now we're facing team with similar defense to our... what do you do :) Install the read options, quick short passes, unblanced formations, We're using our lesson learned from previous game and use it against Florida. BOOM!

I'm also guessing some of those new plays involve Sims using his legs as well.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Coker will start and throw the deep ball on every play until we either score or throw an INT. Then Sims takes over and we run our regular offense.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I might add a few more worry lines to my craggy old face by the time this is over. Florida will give us fits for 3 quarters and I will get a work out cheering Bama to fight back.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Seems like every year under CNS when we start SEC play we see more trickery than we did up to that point. Up until last year our firsts conference game was always Arky, and I recall flea-flickers, read-options, etc that we hadn't shown before...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.