Barn CB Jermaine Whitehead suspended for KSU game

bama119

1st Team
Aug 4, 2001
Eufaula, Al.
I think if JW had gotten in a coach's face he'd be sitting for a game as well. JMO[/QUOTE]

I totally disagre. If raping a girl, stealing crablegs did not call for a suspension and shouting extremely fulger statements only gets half game suspension then talking back to a coach where it would not be made public would not get any ppunishment. Jimbo has lost a lot of respect in his handling of JW.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I totally disagre. If raping a girl, stealing crablegs did not call for a suspension and shouting extremely fulger statements only gets half game suspension then talking back to a coach where it would not be made public would not get any ppunishment. Jimbo has lost a lot of respect in his handling of JW.
iirc, i saw winston mouth off to a/the coach on the sidelines during one of the few moments i caught an fsu game last year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Let me make sure I have this right...

Possession of weed (less than ounce I am reminded by the au fans in the office) gets you a half game suspension.

Disrespecting a coach gets you a full game suspension.

Got it. :rolleye2:
I'm not a coach...only a parent.

I realize that all "indiscretions" are a failure to respect proper authority whether they be God, law of the land, man, etc.

But as a parent, the think that causes me anger the quickest is for my children to directly disrespect me to my face. It light's my fire!!!

Said all that to say, if a player argues with a coach to his face he deserves what he got! FWIW, I think Marshall should have missed more than a half for mary jane too.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Yah, and iirc, he's been pretty solid wrt dealing with player issues like this. I don't like his offense and I don't like his school, but I've got nothing against Gus.
Overall he seems like an alright dude, however I would have to say his actions when Ivory went down in our game against them last year kind of ticked me off. He made this absurd scene like he knew that Ivory was faking it. He looked like a little child screaming at the refs all the while there is a player down on the ground. As I recall the replay showed Ivory got rolled up on pretty good. I had an even bigger problem with this given what their player had done a few weeks before against Arkansas.

One of the things I dislike the most about the HUNH is the way the coaches react when an opposing player goes down. It's kind of sick.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
You guys are killing with the Gus lovefeast. You are praising a guy who suspended his star QB for one half for doing something illegal. I don't see the difference in what he did with his QB and the discipline for Winston. They are both repeat offenders, only difference is one stole from his teammates at another school and another stole from a Publix. So why praise him for suspending a DB that got into it with a coach or supposedly did, and forget about his lack of discipline with his law breaking QB?
...So true!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
iirc, i saw winston mouth off to a/the coach on the sidelines during one of the few moments i caught an fsu game last year.
If he did (and, bear in mind, no one one here has posted a transcript of what Whitehead said, so we don't actually know how "bad" it was), I didn't see it and that's still not saying there wasn't some discipline out of sight of the camera and media. Getting excited and disagreeing with a coach during a game is one thing, saying disrespectful things about his mother during practice is something else. As I said before (and I stand by it) no coach worth being called a coach would tolerate a player (at practice) getting in a coach's face and being disrespectful. Practice is a time for teaching and learning, it's not the same as a game. I am not taking up for JF in any way - but he could have not done anything after JW's latest outburst and the media might have just yawned. NO ONE would have known about Whitehead's outburst if not for the punishment, but there would have been big problems on the staff and within the team at the barn if nothing had been done. I think that situation exists right now at Free Shoes University.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Some of you let your Auburn hatred cover your eyes way too much. I agree with Gus' decision to go full game on this over the half for Nick Marshall. Whitehead showed complete lack of respect for those in charge by doing what he did.

Doug Amos and Charlie Trotman said a source they believe to be very trustworthy told them Whitehead did more than just get in a verbal altercation with assistant Melvin Smith.

An Auburn friend of mine said he's read that this wasn't the first time Whitehead has gotten into a verbal altercation, which makes him believe Whitehead could very well be kicked off the team.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Yeah, he has a hard time with his wife, but he seems like a good guy. I will say that Auburn tends to have an effect on you over time; he better get out while he can; once the barn is under the skin, the smell is going to stay and it causes some kind of strange irrationality
And Gus was like, "Shut up, Jermaine"!

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I think that would be the rough equivalent of us losing DePriest again, maybe somewhat worse. And it happened kind of late in the week. I don't think it will make that big a difference in tonight's game, but if he is really off the team as opposed to just missing this game, it could be a problem down the road. Different coaches tolerate a lot of different stuff, but I don't know any of them that tolerate players in the face of coaches (much less if it went into something physical). If you can't control him at practice, you are asking for it to let him in games.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I am very disappointed with CJF...evidently he has no compass other than win at all costs. Why did the President and AD have to do this? He could have easily beat them to the punch with a full-game suspension...but wavered. Thank God that JW went to FSU. He needed the discipline that CNS provides more than anyone could have imagined. Unfortunately, he will not get it at FSU.

CGM, on the other hand, has stepped up to the plate. I also believe that disrespect is much worse than the marijuana. That's all over the place...as a minister I just hope young people make it to their late 20's without being addicted to something much worse. I expect them to experiment with this...sad but true.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From Gus's press conference today:

@jzenor Malzahn said "nothing's changed" with safety Jermaine Whitehead's status and he won't be on sidelines for Saturday's game.

Seems like Whitehead did something extremely stupid and is paying the price for it.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
He took a swing at a coach. Not surprised he is still out.

???? Seriously? And he is still on the team? Then this goes a little beyond an "in your face" shouting match, if true. And with the climate in sports today, it should be a long time (or maybe never) until we see JW on the field for the barn.
He took a swing at a coach? Those closer to athletics and football, help me out here: does this happen very often?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Some of you let your Auburn hatred cover your eyes way too much. I agree with Gus' decision to go full game on this over the half for Nick Marshall. Whitehead showed complete lack of respect for those in charge by doing what he did.

Doug Amos and Charlie Trotman said a source they believe to be very trustworthy told them Whitehead did more than just get in a verbal altercation with assistant Melvin Smith.

An Auburn friend of mine said he's read that this wasn't the first time Whitehead has gotten into a verbal altercation, which makes him believe Whitehead could very well be kicked off the team.
Well if he is lucky he'll be either kicked off or suspended by the time Alabama plays them so Amari Cooper doesn't embarrass him.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I would not say it happens often but probably more than most would expect. You have a 100 type A personalities on a team plus the coaches. Lots of hot headed, young kids who have always had their way or been pampered. I would say heated discussions and shoving goes on throughout most any program these days. Taking a swing is another level and does happen. Especially, when you have young GA students coaching as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.