Game Thread: Barn vs. Kansas State (was, CFN article)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It has basically forced the hand of Saban to change or simplify his defense.
This is the part that kind of irritates me. A lot of people just throw up their hands and go why can't Alabama's defense stop these offenses! It's all been explained, at length.

A: Alabama doesn't practice against those type of offenses.
B: Alabama and the staff doesn't have that much experience against them (this includes players, seeing it 5 years ago or something doesn't really count).
C: The complexities of Alabama's defense can become a weakness at high tempo.
D: This is magnified by player inexperience.

The fact is defenses are not supposed to maintain the level of play Alabama has. It's not natural. I'll give an example. Alabama was in the top 5 in total defense in the past three seasons. There's only one team that even made the list twice in a row in that period and that was FSU, who both won a title and happen to be coached by a Saban disciple. This is during a period in which people are asking questions about Alabama's defense mind you, when it still seems to be the standard for all of college football.

Nick Saban has opined about the impact it would have if he changed the pace during practice. He said it would be harder to coach defensive players. We've discussed how a run stopper like Cody would fit in now. It's not that Nick can't stop HUNH defenses, despite the chronic inexperience. The question is how much he's willing to sacrifice to do it.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Though I don't necessarily like Jesse Palmer he hit the nail right on the head last night when he said the reason KState was giving the war chickens fits was due to their DL'men winning their matchups. They were only playing 6 and 7 people in the box all night. But the difference was they were winning matchups and playing disciplined football.

I think that's basically why we have so much trouble with these type offenses. We are not fundamentally sound in one on one tackling, our discipline isn't consistent and we're not winning matchups in the trenches. But if Kstate can do it there is absolutely no excuse why we can't. Our second string is just as talented as Kstate's first team defense. No excuses.
I think part of the reason for this has been that our base defensive philosophy has been a 2 gap read and react system rather than a 1 gap assignment. I think these 1 gap strategies appear more effective because it looked as though last night the KSU DL were basically trying to cutoff running lanes in the middle. The first priority being get to this spot to clog a lane and then make the tackle if the runner is there. This strategy creates penetration upfield which closes the gap between the center and the QB thereby decreasing the QB's read opportunities. Our 2-gap strategy is designed to hold the LOS and discourages upfield penetration but still allows the QB ample time to make his read and distribute the ball.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
And Jay Prosch, who was literally the equivalent of another guard. I said it before (and got into an almost violent argument with a relative over it), those two were going to be a challenge to replace. No matter who came in to take their place, the experience would be lacking, and since JP was the strongest person on the team (reportedly), it's just hard to imagine them just plugging in another player and immediately getting the same results. GM said last year that he had no idea what they would have done without him; maybe we will see definitively in two weeks.
Great point. There's a reason the Texans kept him as the only FB on their roster.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
Great stuff Coach & I agree 100% with ya..The Barn always plays us harder more physical than any team we play(including the NC Games), but, when we take care of business & don't hand them key turnovers or miss FG's that we should make..We usually beat The Barn..To their credit..They capitalize on our mistakes & makes up pay when we lose our focus..That's what they do best & are the best in college football as a matter of fact..When you make mistakes against The Barn..They make you pay for them..No doubts about that at all..JMO
Tideman I tried to send you a message I clicked on like your post but on my cellphone it selected dislike sorry. I liked your post. I hate not having a computer lol.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I appreciate it Coach..I didn't realize my inbox was full..I sent you a PM..I cleaned it out & it should be working now..
Tideman I tried to send you a message I clicked on like your post but on my cellphone it selected dislike sorry. I liked your post. I hate not having a computer lol.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Funny how things workout. I didn't even realize I could thank or like a post with tapatalk until I read this post.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
One of my AU friends on Facebook posted some pics of KSU appearing to deserve penalties and then whine about them not being called. It was from AU Family's page. What a bunch of babies.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
I do think we had some legitimate gripes about the refereeing, but so did KSU. I'm a firm believer that those kinds of things tend to even out.
They usually do. You may get an extra call or two but it usually goes the other way too, but in basketball refs get way too into the games. They let the crowd influence their thought process and want to be part of the game by running 10 steps and being very animated to call a charge. Refs are there not to be noticed. Basketball has it all wrong. Football crews that make bad calls usually make for both teams because they are just bad officials.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.